Energy Modelling Platform – Europe 2021 meeting / 26–28 October 2021

Robbie Morrison

Oct 7, 2021, 10:23:17 AM10/7/21
to openmod list

Hello all

The Energy Modelling Platform – Europe (EMP‑E) is a forum for energy system modelers in Europe. And has been holding annual scientific meetings in Brussels at European Commission offices since its inception in 2017.

In some ways perhaps, the EMP‑E echoes the much older Energy Modeling Forum (EMF) which arose at Stanford University during the 1970s oil crisis.

This year the meeting is online, running for three days from Tuesday 26 October 2021. Some URLs:

And the 2021 program in PDF format was released yesterday:

The tagline for this year is: "Energy system modelling, methods and results to support the European Green Deal".

One thing of interest to this list is that there is quite some traversal of open analysis as a distinct concept. Events include:

Type Title Person
skills workshop What energy system modellers should know about [open] data and software licences
Robbie Morrison
skills workshop Open‑access data and visualization tools EnerMaps
plenary panel Collaborative modelling in practice (session chairs shown) Sebastian Busch and Pao-Yu Oei
presentation Developing tools for model linkage and cross-sectoral scenario analysis: lessons learned in the openENTRANCE project   Daniel Huppmann
presentation Embracing the open science concept: experiences from the WHY project Cruz Enrique Borges
parallel session   Data and transparency (session chair shown) Frauke Wiese
presentation Open data for energy system modeling: data paradigms, semantics, metadata, systems, buses, and licensing Robbie Morrison
presentation Implementing FAIR through a distributed data infrastructure Carsten Hoyer-Click
presentation Open-data based carbon emission intensity signals for electricity generation in European countries“ Mirko Schäfer
presentation plan4res SMS++, an open modelling library for evaluating long term electricity system costs and flexibilities Antonio Frangioni (corrected here)
presentation Comparison and cross-validation of energy system models Matteo Giacomo Prina

If I have missed any other relevant events, please reply with details.

And just a comment regarding my affiliation being listed as "OpenMod". The Open Energy Modelling Initiative has a policy of not taking explicit positions or endorsing particular projects. So that affiliation should better read therefore: "open energy modeling community".

Finally, I am not aware how much of this years meeting will be archived and made available later and under what context. Perhaps others on this list may know?

with best wishes, Robbie Morrison

---
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany
Phone: +49.30.612-87617

Cruz Enrique Borges Hernandez

Oct 11, 2021, 11:09:15 AM10/11/21
to Robbie Morrison, openmod list
Dear all,

I have asked to the organizers and the answer is:

"The idea is that we will upload the recordings afterwards to the EMP-E youtube channel and then connect them to the b2match event page, so they are embedded in the program and next to the respective presentations."

I do not know about the licence of that but Robbie for sure will lobby them to use a free one ;)

Best regards,
cruz

Cruz E. Borges, PhD
Researcher / DeustoTech

Faculty of Engineering, University of Deusto
Avda. Universidades 24. 48007 Bilbao (Spain)
Tel. +34 94 413 90 03 Ext. 2052

Robbie Morrison

Oct 11, 2021, 12:37:20 PM10/11/21
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hi Cruz, all

I do not know about the licence of that but Robbie for sure will lobby them to use a free one ;)

Sure!  But that is really a question for each presenter.  And I guess each presenter needs to consent to the public upload as well.  Moreover, any contributor to an interactive session should be given the opportunity to be edited out at their discretion.

Just to clarity, a Creative Commons CC‑BY‑4.0 license enables copying and reuse but is not a requirement to view the original.

Note also that I am assuming the plenaries, presentations, and workshops will be treated similarly.  It may well be that the remark from the organizers in the posting below refers only to plenary presentations and parallel presentations.  Needless to say, both variants will usually involve questions and comments from the floor.

Following this posting, I'll forward the entire thread to Amanda for the EMP‑E organizers to consider.  Perhaps we'll have some more clarity in due course?

cheers, Robbie

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openmod-initiative/CAM_H%3DnBwd8-usFca2bkAF8X%2BXsNe3B5GMLHr_jd_ao2xihJRXQ%40mail.gmail.com.