Linux Foundation OS-Climate project

Robbie Morrison

Dec 11, 2020, 3:03:37 AM12/11/20
to openmod list

Hello all

The Linux Foundation recently announced the LF Climate Finance Foundation (LFCF) and the LF OS-Climate project.  Some useful background in this succinct report:

As I read it, the OS-Climate project aims to build a digital twin of the entire planet, including finance flows and technical transformations.  Three components, as given on the project website (URL above), are:

  • open source physical-economic models
  • global data compendium and data commons
  • scenario-based predictive analytics

You'll see some of corporate America has signed on too, including IBM (via RedHat), Microsoft, and Amazon.

There is also an interface to subscribe to their mailing list.  One has to supply background so I suppose some vetting will take place.

with best wishes, Robbie
--
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany

Tom Brown

Feb 8, 2021, 4:02:32 AM2/8/21
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The Linux Foundation's OS-Climate push for "open data and open source
analytics for climate risk management and climate-aligned finance and
investing", as reported by Robbie in December, seems to be gaining steam.

Goldman Sachs has now joined "Allianz, Amazon, Federated Hermes,
Microsoft, and S&P Global" in supporting the initiative:

https://linuxfoundation.org/press-release/goldman-sachs-joins-linux-foundation-push-for-open-source-climate-data

“As corporates seek to integrate climate considerations into their
business activities, they realize that the cost, the availability and
quality of data, and analytical tools to make sound decisions is
lacking,” said [Goldman Sachs Group CEO David] Solomon. “More widely
available data, and collaboratively developed analytics, will help
companies measure progress against decarbonization goals and investors
assess the physical and transition risks to which the industry is exposed.”

This has been widely reported in the press, see e.g. the Financial Times:

https://archive.is/oCHIB

"The group’s primary goal is to create an open source “data commons”
that will make it easy for anyone to access information on companies’
environmental performance. They are also planning to create a repository
of tools that investors and regulators can use to perform climate risk
“scenario analyses” and help companies set a path to net-zero emissions."

Is anyone in openmod working on corporate ESG data?

Best wishes,

Tom

--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Institute for Automation and Applied Informatics (IAI)

Tom Brown (he/him)
Research Group Leader, Energy System Modelling

Phone: +49 721 608 25737
Fax: +49 721 608 22602
Group website: https://www.iai.kit.edu/english/ESM.php
Personal website: https://nworbmot.org/

Visitor Address:
Office 309
Campus North Building 445
Hermann-von-Helmholtz-Platz 1
76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen

Daniel Huppmann

Feb 8, 2021, 4:14:24 AM2/8/21
to Tom Brown, openmod-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

Between IIASA, PIK and other IAM teams, we are working on a set of scenarios that can be used by central banks and other finance stakeholders for ESG analysis, collaborating with the „Network for Greening the Financial System“ (NGFS). A first batch was published last year, an update of the scenario ensemble will be published in the coming weeks.

Unfortunately, this is not open-source, and even the „almost-CC-BY“-license we used for the IPCC SR15 (aka IAMC 1.5°C Scenario Explorer & Data) was too unsafe (or too intelligible) for the central bankers' legal department (if you ever want to experience pancaking of jargon...).

But at least, we made some steps to make the data more accessible, interoperable and reusable. Our Python pyam package has a direct connection to our Scenario-Explorer API [1], and (in case anyone is still working with Matlab here), Mathworks developed a Matlab plugin to import data to a workspace [1].

I’m also (talking about) collaborating with colleagues at Climate Analytics to implement downscaling-tools into the pyam toolbox, to make it easier to go from the macro-region, aggregate-sectoral representation in IAMs to a level of detail that can be used for this kind of analysis.

Cheers,
Daniel

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openmod-initiative/b85e9fa5-f48f-6f4d-ab21-c7092675e9cb%40kit.edu.

Robbie Morrison

Feb 8, 2021, 5:06:03 AM2/8/21
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tom, Daniel, all

I participate in the LF Energy (LF is the Linux Foundation) data architecture working group.  LFE is currently talking to Shell about supporting a collective data project with other oil majors and oil field servicing companies.  The initial use case is subsurface information (not being a geologist but possibly also useful for locating CCS sites and nuclear waste repositories?).  The project is named the Open Subsurface Data Universe or OSDU:

The OSDU consortium also plans to extend to above‑surface energy‑related information, including data on renewables potentials.

Thus far, Shell have only indicated contract‑based data brokering.  But I have a question into Shell at the moment on public licensing and legal location (essentially, will the European database directive apply).  I'll post back here when I know more.

I guess if Schlumberger and Shell are involved, we can clearly assume that "data is now the new oil".  :)

with best wishes, Robbie