Scenario data supporting the IEA Netzero-2050 Roadmap

Daniel Huppmann

May 19, 2021, 12:03:08 PM5/19/21
to openmod initiative
Hi openmods,

Everyone's excited about the IEA's NetZero2050 Roadmap, and rightly so - but what I'm most thrilled about is that they also released the scenario data and all numbers underlying the figures as xlsx files!

Unfortunately, the format is not quite harmonized, so it's not straightforward to extract the relevant data and work with it. So I wrote a little python Jupiter notebook to get the data into the IAMC data format used by IPCC WG3 and several projects including openENTRANCE, ECEMF, ENGAGE and NAVIGATE...

So far, this script only implements the first sheet in the Annex-A xlsx file of the report - but it should be a good starting point to treat other sheets in a similar manner. Happy to go down this rabbit hole if anyone is interested…?

Hopefully, this is a little step towards openscience & FAIRdata…

Cheers,
Daniel

Dr. Daniel HUPPMANN
Research Scholar
Energy, Climate, and Environment (ECE) Program

webwww.iiasa.ac.at/staff/huppmann

International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis
Schlossplatz 1, A-2361 Laxenburg, Austria | www.iiasa.ac.at

Robbie Morrison

May 19, 2021, 12:18:07 PM5/19/21
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Just adding some links.  First, the report:

then the data:

and some commentary:

I had trouble reaching both the document server and the data server on multiple occasions.  Evidently Daniel got through okay.

with best wishes, Robbie

Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany
Phone: +49.30.612-87617