New Python Library: hplib - heat pump library

Tjarko Tjaden

Sep 23, 2021, 4:06:05 AM9/23/21
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

many of you are probably familiar with the Python library "pvlib", which is used in numerous publications and tools to simulate PV systems.

We lacked the approach for heat pumps. The aim was to simulate both specific heat pumps and generic heat pumps, which in terms of efficiency correspond to the mean value of the products available on the market. The "hplib" offers the following

#####
Repository with code to

  • build a database with relevant data from public Heatpump Keymark Datasets
  • identify efficiency parameters from the database with a least-square regression model
  • simulate heat pump efficiency (COP) as well as electrical (P_el) & thermal power (P_th) and mass flow (m_dot) as time series.

For the simulation, it is possible to calculate outputs of a specific manufacturer + model or alternatively for one of 6 different generic heat pump types.
#####

You can find the result

As also written below in the readme: If you have any questions / suggestions for improvement, please create an issue or participate with a fork + pull request.

Best regards
Tjarko
--
Tjarko Tjaden, M.Sc.
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter

Hochschule Emden/Leer
Constantiaplatz 4
26723 Emden
Tel.
: +49-4921-807-1865
Mobil: +49-176-21994731
Internet: Homepage des Labors
E-Mail: tjarko...@hs-emden-leer.de
Meeting:
https://bbb1.hs-emden-leer.de/b/tja-tdz-dxj

Robbie Morrison

Sep 27, 2021, 2:48:41 AM9/27/21
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tjarko, all

The wikipedia entry for open energy system models has a section on components (in contrast to fully fledged modeling frameworks, that is):

I am about to add pvlib and hplib.  If there are other components out there that should be included, please reply either on‑list of off‑llst.

Also, I would like to endorse the concept of providing well developed and tested technical characterizations that can be used as building blocks in other projects.

with best wishes, Robbie

Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany
Phone: +49.30.612-87617

t.tj...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2021, 5:13:32 AM9/27/21
to openmod initiative
Hi Robbie, all,

i guess it's a good idea to add pvlib and hplib to the Wikipedia entry. Thanks. In a few days there will also be a "battery storage libary - bslib", which will have the same structure / set of functions to simulate manufacturer + modell or generic battery storage type. I will write again, when work is finished.

@Robbie: Could you please go a litte further, what you mean by saying: "Also, I would like to endorse the concept of providing well developed and tested technical characterizations that can be used as building blocks in other projects." ?

With best regards,
Tjarko

Robbie Morrison

Sep 27, 2021, 8:27:08 AM9/27/21
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tjarko

I just added brief entries for pvlib and hplib to wikipedia and also tweaked the subsection name and section lead‑in text:

My earlier comment on "technical characterizations" as "building blocks" was a reference to the various technology modules listed (yours included).  These fall under the general idea of programming components, more formally known as component-based software engineering (CBSE).  Also the so‑called "separation of concerns" (SoC) paradigm is a key informing principle for CBSE, but implicit here in that most modelers can (I hope) distinguish between PV installations, heat pumps, and battery storage!

Moreover, the development of say just a couple of broadly encompassing technology modules for each technology should serve the needs of most energy system modeling frameworks. They may need to be reimplemented in the chosen language (say ported from python to julia).  But these modules should nonetheless free up modeling projects to concentrate on system analysis and exploring the solution and non‑solution space (that last remark is to suggest that identifying infeasible proposals may be as valuable policy‑wise as identifying feasible proposals).

Finally, I guess that pvlib built on the earlier Sandia photovoltaic array performance model (also listed on wikipedia), given the author affiliations on pvlib?

with best wishes, Robbie