Toggling quantities by Doses or Packs in Rnr approval screen- New UI

Adugna Worku

Aug 30, 2018, 11:53:13 AM8/30/18
to openlmis_prod...@googlegroups.com, openlm...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

I have been working on a new feature (https://openlmis.atlassian.net/browse/OLMIS-4968) for toggling product quantity unit in Rnr product grid UI from dispensing unit to packs size and vise versa in Rnr approval page. This feature will help Rnr approver to see quantities either in dispensing unit or pack size.

Design 1:
The first implementation was the same as how toggling works on the fulfillment page by adding toggle button at the top of the page, and when one of the button is checked, the quantity unit in the product grid will be converted to associated unit accordingly. The toggling spans all the reported columns Rnr read-only columns and Approved quantity editable column too. But after a while toggling quantity unit for a reported  read-only columns in approval page produced a calculation problem.

Problem:
When the quantity unit toggled from dispensing unit to pack size, since there are some rounding of numbers going on b/c of a rounding threshold, the arithmetic calculation to get stock on hand will yield a wrong value because of the rounding of the participant columns in the calculation. The SOH calculation would only make sense when the quantity unit is in dispensing unit. B/c of this, it is decided that, we only toggle the Approved Quantity editable column and let the rest of the reported columns not participate in unit conversion.

Design 2:
At this point, unit conversion only applies to Approved quantity column. And to save the user from confusion, the toggle button at the top of the table was removed and alternative UI change has been suggested.
The current UI suggestion would be to append a label at the left side of the Approved Quantity text box and when ever the page loads or the approver types amount in dispensing unit, the calculated pack size conversion will be seen on the label.
image.png

So this is to kindly ask a feedback about if the last suggestion aligns with our UI style guide. Plus any suggestion or recommendation would also be great.

Thanks,
Adugna

Christine Lenihan

Aug 30, 2018, 12:28:09 PM8/30/18
to Adugna Worku, openlmis_prod...@googlegroups.com, openlm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Adugna,

Overall I think I like design 2 better (if this is an either-or situation), since the user can see both pieces of information at the same time, rather than switching back and forth. I had a few questions/thoughts though:

  • I think this could be confusing if the pack size is not displayed – looking at the screenshot, for example, it is easy to confuse the “unit” of a 10 tab strip with the pack – so the label saying 9 packs looked like it was referring to 90 10-tab strips,  not 787 doses
  • Since pack size may or may not be included, would it be possible to include a tooltip or something similar to provide more detail on how the “9 packs” is being calculated?

Best,

Christine Lenihan | christin...@villagereach.org

Manager, Information Systems

VillageReach Starting at the Last Mile

2900 Eastlake Ave. E, Suite 230,  Seattle, WA 98102, USA

DIRECT: 1.206.639.2359  CELL: 1.508.641.5564  FAX: 1.206.860.6972

SKYPE: christine.lenihan.vr

www.villagereach.org

Connect on Facebook, Twitter and our Blog

Brandon Bowersox-Johnson

Aug 31, 2018, 12:44:58 PM8/31/18
to Christine Lenihan, Adugna Worku, openlmis_prod...@googlegroups.com, openlm...@googlegroups.com
I agree that Option 2 makes the most sense. However, the mock-up makes it look like we would design a custom widget/component just for that field. The design in the mock-up almost looks like a button to me. Instead I would suggest we try to use existing components. Perhaps we can just show both numbers in text, eg “210 units (11 packs of 20)”.  I also like the idea of putting the details like pack size the dispensing unit string into a tooltip.

To have quality data, users need to know exactly what units they are counting in! Thanks for working on this, and thanks for providing specific mockups and options for input!

Brandon

maryjo.ko...@villagereach.org

Sep 10, 2018, 7:44:40 PM9/10/18
to OpenLMIS Product Committee

Adugna,

Based on the feedback, would you be willing to present your updated options to the PC? We have a meeting tomorrow (see details here).

To echo some of the feedback you’ve already received, I think option two is better however I'd like to also consider an option where perhaps you can configure the template as an Admin (in the Requisition Templates) to show an additional column, only during the approval screen, with packs to ship since that column already exists as a column. The solution would be another column instead of a new UI element within the same cell. That way we don’t have to introduce a new UI element but we can show the amount in packs.

Hopefully you are available to discuss tomorrow.

Thanks,

Mary Jo

On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 9:44:58 AM UTC-7, Brandon Bowersox-Johnson wrote:
I agree that Option 2 makes the most sense. However, the mock-up makes it look like we would design a custom widget/component just for that field. The design in the mock-up almost looks like a button to me. Instead I would suggest we try to use existing components. Perhaps we can just show both numbers in text, eg “210 units (11 packs of 20)”.  I also like the idea of putting the details like pack size the dispensing unit string into a tooltip.

To have quality data, users need to know exactly what units they are counting in! Thanks for working on this, and thanks for providing specific mockups and options for input!

Brandon

Adugna Worku

Sep 12, 2018, 1:37:16 AM9/12/18
to maryjo.ko...@villagereach.org, openlmis_prod...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Thanks all for the feedback,

Mery Jo, I have seen all the feedback and most of them are more aligned for using the existing UI specially showing the Pack To Ship column on approval screen with additional configuration on Rnr template as per Chongsun's comment. I also believe that will be a better way to go. And at this point, since we are not aligned to introducing a new UI, showing the Pack to Ship column with additional configuration would be appropriate. I will be available to discussion for today.

Best Regards,
Adugna