Inability to start up the openlmis

Ayotunde Ikumawoyi

Oct 5, 2016, 11:46:37 AM10/5/16
to OpenLMIS Dev
 i have not been able to start up the source code in windows10 after following the precepts in github where i downloaded it

nick...@villagereach.org

Oct 5, 2016, 1:58:49 PM10/5/16
to OpenLMIS Dev
Can you tell us a little more about the issue you are having?

Where did you download the source code from?

Happy to help, we just need some hints to actually be helpful

-- nick --

Mary Jo Kochendorfer

Oct 5, 2016, 2:01:30 PM10/5/16
to Ayotunde Ikumawoyi, OpenLMIS Dev (openlmis-dev@googlegroups.com), Brandon Bowersox-Johnson
Hello Ayotunde,
Happy to hear of your interest in OpenLMIS. Could you tell us about your interest in OpenLMIS? Where are you based? Do you work for a specific organization looking to use the system or already using the system? The more information you can provide to us the more helpful we can be in supporting you.

It is important to note that we are currently re-architecting OpenLMIS. Currently the only stable release of OpenLMIS is 2.0, but our team is hard at work creating 3.0 which will be released the end of Feb 2017. Please keep this in mind as migrating from 2.0 to 3.0 will be a large undertaking. We are happy to discuss and provide guidance based on what your interest and needs are.

If you want to demo the system, I encourage accessing our demo site for OpenLMIS 2.0. Instructions here<https://openlmis.atlassian.net/wiki/display/OP/OpenLMIS+Demo>.
If you want to install locally and need to use Window, please follow the below instructions for OpenLMIS 2.0.

Have you ever wanted your own installation of OpenLMIS? If so, you’ll be pleased to know the dev team has crafted a solution to install OpenLMIS 2.0 on most Windows and Mac machines.

To install OpenLMIS 2.0, follow the instructions here: https://github.com/chunky56/openlmis-vagrant. You need to do a one-time install of several other applications - plan about an hour for the initial setup and install. It is a lot of stuff to download, so a good Internet connection is required.

If you have a Windows machine, please read on.

!! WINDOWS USERS !!: you may need to make a one-time, low level change to your computer to make this work. Please feel free to contact me with any questions on this and the process that follows. I apologize for the complexity, but it is unfortunately nothing we can control or automate.

What is the change? For OpenLMIS to run, your computer’s processor must have a special capability for “virtualization”. Older or low-end computers may not have this! This capability may be activated or deactivated depending upon your computer’s manufacturer. The steps to activate are simple, but can be a little intimidating if you’ve never done it before.

How do I know if hardware virtualization is enabled on my Windows machine?

1. If you are running Windows 10: in the combined search/run bar, type “msinfo” and press return. You will see a screen of information. Find the entry for, “Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware”. If it is set to Yes, virtualization is enabled and you can proceed with the OpenLMIS install.

2. If you’re not running Windows 10, there is no easy way to tell. Proceed to the next steps.

Okay, how do I do it?
The steps vary slightly depending upon the make/model of your computer, which is why I cannot provide exact instructions. Basic steps are below, but your best bet is to search the Internet. For example, let’s say your computer is a “Dell Latitude u8500”, so your search could be
- “dell u8500 enable virtualization” or
- “dell u8500 vt-x” (Intel brands hardware virtualization as “VT-x”)

If the above did not work for you, here’s a few examples, both in written and video form, for activating virtualization on your computer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3irpIFya_lk
http://amiduos.com/support/knowledge-base/article/enabling-virtualization-in-lenovo-systems
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wa7TGjmn5M

If the above did not work for you, The generic steps below.
Restart your computer into BIOS mode. This is typically done by
o Restarting your computer
o As *soon* as the computer begins to start up, press and hold a special key, like F2 or Enter, depending on your computer. Sometimes the computer tells you what to do at boot time, e.g. “To interrupt normal startup, press <a certain key>”

3. You will see a very basic interface to view and set computer settings. You need to navigate these menus to find an entry for “virtualization” or “VT-x” and make sure it is Enabled.

4. Exit this interface, making sure to SAVE your changes. There is typically an option to exit and save changes, or exit and discard changes.

5. DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE! You could really mess things up!

6. Reboot and go install OpenLMIS!

Thanks!
Mary Jo and Brandon
winmail.dat