New export logic in openlmis

Danni Yu

Nov 9, 2015, 10:52:57 PM11/9/15
to OpenLMIS Dev, chai-openlmis
Hi,

We have a story for export (to Excel) for openlmis. We added some util logic using POI to generate Excel based on templates. The question is where we should be putting such logic.

Two ways we discussed are:

1. rename "upload" module to "file-management" and that module will include both import and export logic of files
2. add a new module "export"

Wondering if the community has any thoughts about this... Currently we have decided to go with option #1 because we see "file-management" module could include file util operations going forward. But we are open to change it.

Also, we're aware that renaming the "upload" module may result in conflicts and hence have not yet merged that code to 2.0 until we hear further from your thoughts.

Thanks!

-Danni & Jie

Jie Xiong

Nov 10, 2015, 3:21:31 AM11/10/15
to Danni Yu, OpenLMIS Dev, chai-openlmis
Is the logic (or, format of Excel) general or specific to Mozambique?

Maybe build an extension point (i.e. an interface + default implementation) in OpenLMIS, and extend from Moz implementation?

Jeff Xiong
ThoughtWorks
+86 186 826 53819

Kevin Cussen

Nov 10, 2015, 5:05:53 AM11/10/15
to OpenLMIS Dev, chai-openlmis

Hi Danni and Jie,

Thanks for sharing this design decision with the community. Based on my limited understanding from your description, you are trying to decide the best approach between:

1) Modifying the existing upload "module" to also include exports

2) Creating a separate "Export" module

My gut reaction would be to instead go with #2 for the following reasons:

1) Unless imports & exports are linked in a flow (or you are planning on adding further file-management activities), I don't think they should be part of the same module.

2) Legacy compatibility

Please inform whether this makes sense. I'm also interested in what other functionality you envision in the file-management module.

Cheers,

Kevin Cussen

Technology Manager

VillageReach Starting at the Last Mile

2900 Eastlake Ave. E, Suite 230,  Seattle, WA 98102, USA

CELL: 1.206.604.4209

www.villagereach.org

Connect on Facebook, Twitter and our Blog

Nov 10, 2015, 10:52:38 PM11/10/15
to Kevin Cussen, Jie Xiong, OpenLMIS Dev, chai-openlmis
Hello Kevin and Jeff,
Thanks for you opinion.
When we talked about the upload functionality, it has two parts actually. The real upload module which only handling the CVS files, the logic are all in the core module.
On the other hand, the export will only handling the Excel files. The logic are distributed at the specific Service, like the data populating
So this is the key point of refactor it to a file management module. It will only contain general files handling related functionalities.
We have email template files, Requisition report template files now.

Best Regards!
Jie Liu(刘杰)  Developer
ThoughtWorks Wuhan, China.