Lack of Swagger slows down testing through the API

jbe...@soldevelo.com

Feb 15, 2018, 8:54:21 AM2/15/18
to OpenLMIS Dev
Several days ago, Swagger was disabled. For this reason, testing through the API takes several times more time than it used to because I don't have access to any documentation where all endpoints within the application would be listed and described (I mean notably the parameters - which of them are required and what are their accepted values). Can Swagger be re-enabled again until the new tool related to the API that is to be introduced is implemented?

Mateusz Kwiatkowski

Feb 15, 2018, 9:01:38 AM2/15/18
to Joanna Bebak, OpenLMIS Dev
Hi Joanna,

we have our API documentation build on Jenkins, like in this example. I think it is even better to read than Swagger, only problem is that you cannot send request from this page, but using Postman will  be OK for now. The problem with Swagger is that it requires Git installed on our docker images which we don't want, it could be done until next solution like Rest Console will be intropduced.

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 2:54 PM, <jbe...@soldevelo.com> wrote:
Several days ago, Swagger was disabled. For this reason, testing through the API takes several times more time than it used to because I don't have access to any documentation where all endpoints within the application would be listed and described (I mean notably the parameters - which of them are required and what are their accepted values). Can Swagger be re-enabled again until the new tool related to the API that is to be introduced is implemented?

SolDevelo
Sp. z o.o. [LLC] / www.soldevelo.com
Al. Zwycięstwa 96/98, 81-451, Gdynia, Poland
Phone: +48 58 782 45 40 / Fax: +48 58 782 45 41

SolDevelo
Sp. z o.o. [LLC] / www.soldevelo.com
Al. Zwycięstwa 96/98, 81-451, Gdynia, Poland
Phone: +48 58 782 45 40 / Fax: +48 58 782 45 41

Josh Zamor

Feb 15, 2018, 6:55:38 PM2/15/18
to OpenLMIS Dev
Hi Johanna,

Building off what Mateusz pointed out about our static api docs, we are using OLMIS-3708 to track resurrecting our live docs (albeit with a different tool).  Just the other day we moved the ticket out of this sprint (47) to the last sprint before release (sprint 49 - our regression testing sprint) so that we continue to focus on functionality in this sprint and next.  I am of the opinion though that if we're slowing down QA or otherwise effecting the quality of QA that we're doing that we should bump the priority of resurrecting our live docs higher.

Will using postman and our static docs work without any quality/time loss in QA until someone can work on it in 49, or do you have a different recommendation?

Best,
Josh

jbe...@soldevelo.com

Feb 16, 2018, 1:53:06 AM2/16/18
to OpenLMIS Dev
Hi,

thank you, Mateusz, for providing the link to the documentation. I browsed through it and it seems that it contains all the necessary data to perform tests.

As for the new tool, Josh, of course, testing with the documentation and Postman is still slower than on Swagger where you don't have to add parameters manually but I think that the difference is not so big that it is necessary to introduce the new tool faster. But of course the sooner, the better - if there is enough time to do it sooner than in sprint 49, it would be great.

On Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 6:01:38 AM UTC-8, mkwiatkowski wrote:
[...]

Paweł Gesek

Feb 16, 2018, 9:54:14 AM2/16/18
to OpenLMIS Dev
Is there any way we can hack bringing Swagger back in less than few hours effort? (and without requiring a release of the dev image) If this is something that actually slows dev/qa work down I would vote for putting more priority on solving this sooner rather than later.

Regards,
Paweł

Paweł Gesek
Technical Project Manager
pge...@soldevelo.com / +48 690 020 875

Nick Reid

Feb 16, 2018, 2:59:19 PM2/16/18
to Paweł Gesek, OpenLMIS Dev

Is it just that the Swagger app isn't working, or is the JSON config that swagger reads all screwy

The thing that always bugged me with the live documentation is dealing with access keys — and a solution to that would be to integrate the OpenLMIS-UI and Swagger together....

^^ and that could be done in 2-3 hours at most....

Nick Reid | nick...@villagereach.org
Software Developer, Information Systems Group

VillageReach Starting at the Last Mile
2900 Eastlake Ave. E, Suite 230, Seattle, WA 98102, USA
CELL: +1.510.410.0020
SKYPE: nickdotreid
www.villagereach.org