New to OpenLMIS: A few questions

Craig A

Dec 24, 2015, 2:02:22 PM12/24/15
to OpenLMIS Dev
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to OpenLMIS2 and working to understand some of the capabilities for integration with MOTECH. Can you help me with the following questions?

- Does OpenLMIS generate push events that can be consumed by 3rd party systems?  I see the atomFeed in the core module, but don't know the type of events exposed to it. To provide an example, other systems (CommCare, ODK Aggregate, etc) are able to "forward forms" when they are received. Does OpenLMIS do this when requisitions are submitted, products are shipped/distributed, Proof of Delivery is submitted, or stock Cards are updated?

- I see the stock-management API endpoints in Swagger, but does the stock management have a front end? Are there open source ODK forms or SMS workflows that are available?

- In the requisitions API area, I see the ability to post to both "sdp-requisitions" and "requisitions" What's the difference between these endpoints?

- In the API, I don't see any endpoints for distributions. For example, when a service delivery point distributes products to a CHW so they can take those products out to the field to patients. Are distributions handled through the webapp? If so, under which navigation menu?

I think that's it for now, thank you for your help!

Sincerely,
Craig

Jie Xiong

Dec 24, 2015, 8:27:06 PM12/24/15
to Craig A, OpenLMIS Dev
Re: stock management front end - ThoughtWorks is building an Android smart phone front end, but quite specific to one country's requirement. We found it quite challenging to balance between user experience and universalness. There is an ongoing discussion on building a reusable Android front end, but still at its early stage.

Other ThoughtWorks colleagues might have further insights on your questions.

Jeff Xiong
ThoughtWorks
+86 186 826 53819

Rich Magnuson

Dec 28, 2015, 12:45:48 PM12/28/15
to Jie Xiong, Craig A, OpenLMIS Dev

Hi Craig,

-         Push events:  no, OpenLMIS currently does  not broadcast any events.

-         Stock management front end:  to build on Jeff’s reply, OpenLMIS does not have a global UI for stock management.  This functionality was added recently, and a little background is in order.  Two concurrent projects had basic stock management needs:  one in Mozambique  and the other in Tanzania.  VillageReach worked on the core API, which was shared by the two projects, which respectively built their own UI and additional logic per the project needs (The Android front end was for Mozambique).  A proper UI is on the OpenLMIS roadmap, as well as enhancements to make stock management more robust, but no immediate plans for when to implement.

-         Some of the API end points you mentioned were developed by JSI for other projects – I hope our JSI colleagues can help with specifics

-         Distributions:  OpenLMIS does not have specific functionality for tracking commodities beyond the service delivery point, such as to a CHW or actual dispensing.  That said, the CHAI/ThoughtWorks project for Mozambique has added some level of tracking – mainly stock management - at the CHW level.  I can’t say with authority, but I believe most of the admin is done via that Mozambique Android app.

Hope this helps, and look forward to replies from others.

Rich

Danni Yu

Dec 28, 2015, 9:50:43 PM12/28/15
to Rich Magnuson, Jie Xiong, Craig A, OpenLMIS Dev
Hi Craig,

On the question about requisitions vs sdp-requisitions: I believe this "sdp-requisitions" is used for emergency requisitions. The "requisitions" endpoint is for regular requisitions.

-Danni

Craig A

Dec 28, 2015, 10:05:21 PM12/28/15
to Danni Yu, Rich Magnuson, Jie Xiong, OpenLMIS Dev
Thanks Everyone!
--
Craig Appl
Lead Technical Program Manager, Mobile Health Innovations

Elias Muluneh

Dec 29, 2015, 10:09:56 PM12/29/15
to OpenLMIS Dev, d...@thoughtworks.com, rich.m...@villagereach.org, jxi...@thoughtworks.com
Hi Craig,

Here is a little more detail about requisitions vs sdp-requisitions api.

** Requisitions API:
- Developed to be consumed by CommCare.
- It assumes that CommCare will submit Regular Requisitions only (No Emergency Orders).
- CommCare does not say which period the report is for, always submits report for next period in chronological order.
- Once CommCare submits a report for a period, It will never re-submit for the same period. No Updates.
- CommCare does not skip periods.

** Requisition-SDP
- Developed to be consumed by another thick client application installed at the service delivery points called SDP.
- SDP can submit both Emergency as well as Regular R&Rs
- SDP can send R&R at any point in time, When submitting, SDP informs for which period the R&R is submitted for. Eg- SDP did not submit requisition for 3 months, it wants to submit requisition for current month. It is allowed to submit with this API.
- SDP can re-submit a report to update previous submissions. Resubmissions are accepted as long as the status of the R&R did not pass through approvals (as long as the status is pre-authorize).
- SDP can skip periods and submit reports for subsequent periods.

Craig A

Jan 20, 2016, 7:07:44 PM1/20/16
to OpenLMIS Dev, d...@thoughtworks.com, rich.m...@villagereach.org, jxi...@thoughtworks.com
Thanks Everyone,

I ran into a few more questions. Can you help me with the following?

- Is there a way to access the RnR template through the API to determine which data is being collected by which program? Is this integrated into other API endpoints? I see the reference to the RnR template in the Requisitions API endpoint, but don't know how to get the fields from the template.
- Is there an API endpoint for distributions? Is this available in the stock-status endpoint or elsewhere?
- It seems as though there's an internal event system when a requisition is submitted for approval. This would be a great thing to provide to external services as a as a web hook so they could query the APIs when a requisition is submitted, a distribution is made. Can anyone describe or point me to the code describing what events are exposed and which elements within OpenLMIS use it?

Thank you!
Craig