Breadcrumbs, main state and reference-ui 5.0

ngraczewski

Apr 7, 2017, 11:33:51 AM4/7/17
to OpenLMIS Dev
Hey everyone,

I've recently started to work on adding breadcrumbs to the ui-layout module. After a chat with Nick we've decided that it would be the best to add a main state to the whole application. However, after working on adding the main state it came to me that this will be a breaking change, which would require to bump the major version of all the UI modules using states. This would lead to inability to release referencedata-ui 4.1.0 as would have to make it 5.0.0. My question is how do we want to approach this problem? Here are couple of solutions I could came up with.

1. Do we want to postpone the breadcrumbs feature after we're done with adding administration screens to the referencedata-ui and release version 4.1.0 of the module?
2. Do we want to skip referencedata-ui 4.1.0 and jump straight to reference-ui 5.0.0?
3. Do want to take a different(temporarily and hacky) approach on implementing the breadcrumbs and change it the one include main-state later?

Regards,
Nikodem

Josh Zamor

Apr 7, 2017, 12:59:15 PM4/7/17
to ngraczewski, OpenLMIS Dev
Hi Nikodem,

I don’t know nearly enough about the UI components to really make an informed decision, so I don’t see any reason to not work on a release of referencedata-ui 5.0.0 instead of 4.1.0 - so long as we can release it as part of Ref Distro 3.0.2.

More generally it feels weird that breadcrumbs being added to the “main state” of the UI would require that the referencedata-ui component, as well as all the other UI components, would be bumped to their next major version.  But this could just be my ignorance about the workings of the new UI modularity.  Which component houses the “main state”?  Would referencedata-ui just be a consumer of that?  I’d like to learn.

Best,
Josh

ngraczewski

Apr 10, 2017, 12:27:33 PM4/10/17
to OpenLMIS Dev, ngrac...@soldevelo.com
Hi,

The main state would reside inside of the ui-layout repository. All of our current parent state would become the children of the main state named "openlmis". This way we would only have to add the breadcrumbs in one place(main view of the main state), which would make the code way more maintainable. We could also make the header a separate view of the main state and by this make it react when the state gets reloaded. The header not being part of the state was the reason we added the whole screen loading page when changing language, with the header and navigation being part of the state we could remove that.

Regards,
Nikodem