Extreme zoom support (zoom 0 to 153)

David Stolarsky

Jul 29, 2017, 4:53:47 PM7/29/17
to OpenLayers Dev
I want to render an XYZ tile set where Z varies from 0 to 153. I assume most tile renderers (e.g. OpenLayers) won't work beyond zoom 53, as 2^53 is approximately Number.MAX_SAFE_INTEGER. So we won't be able to calculate the tile's URL, let alone other possible issues. (In OpenLayers, around zoom 53, I believe I'm starting to see visible seams between tiles where there should not be seams. Also around zoom 53, the lat/lng position of a marker in Leaflet seems to quantize to about every ~5 pixels).

Am I correct in assuming OpenLayers cannot go to zoom 153?

I'm thinking about extending it to support this, namely with a tile layer, by replacing JavaScript Number arithmetic with https://github.com/MikeMcl/bignumber.js/ arithmetic. Voila, right?

But on second thought, I wonder if it would be wiser to build on something simpler, like https://github.com/d3/d3-tile/blob/master/src/tile.js.

Any thoughts? Advice (like which OpenLayers files/functions need rewriting)?

Thanks,
David