Internship for OpenCog

Daniel

May 21, 2019, 12:56:22 AM5/21/19
to opencog
Hello,

My name is Dan. I am 20 years old and have more than 5 years of programming experience on my own and one year of studying computer science in college. I just recently found out about OpenCog and was fascinated by the ingeniousness of it. I have looked through the wiki and through several videos trying to understand more about OpenCog. I stumbled upon a video where Ben Geortzel discussed his internship program in Ethiopia that teaches people about OpenCog and various other subjects. I was wondering if OpenCog offers internship or apprenticeship programs (in the United States) to help me, and any other people interested, get into OpenCog and start contributing to the project.

Thanks,
Dan

Nil Geisweiller

May 22, 2019, 12:44:08 AM5/22/19
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

I don't know about that, that would be awesome, your interest certainly
is welcome. Let's wait for Ben perhaps, although he is pretty busy this
month... Meanwhile feel free to ask any help here or hand out in slack
https://wiki.opencog.org/w/The_Open_Cognition_Project#Participate

Nil
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/04459ec2-92a5-469d-9f56-3c68cc95f516%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/04459ec2-92a5-469d-9f56-3c68cc95f516%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Daniel

May 25, 2019, 2:58:04 AM5/25/19
to opencog

Alright, sounds good! I have one question that is more of the source for my trouble getting into opencog. I am pretty used to looking at small projects on github and I’m usually able to find all the scripts under one repository. With opencog, the project is super large and from what I can tell, it is not all in one repository. Is there an easy way for me to find all of the open source code so that I can piece it all together in my mind. I want a better picture of how all the scripts and parts work together...

Reslav Hollos

May 25, 2019, 4:26:56 AM5/25/19
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

These are opencog build expressions for a package manager called nix and contain nix script for each of the packages including opencog that contains them all.

Given that you've installed nix, you'd only need to run `nix-shell` from the folder of a package and everything should build automatically.

Inside each folder is a usage example file ex. `opencog/default.nix` that has a `shellHook` part which is bash code executed right after entering the shell where you can put automated code or you can ignore it and use just the shell with exposed libraries.

I'd be interested in your experience with these.

Cheers,
Reslav

Linas Vepstas

May 25, 2019, 12:23:41 PM5/25/19
to opencog
There is a 3-years-unmaintained full-stack robot here: https://github.com/opencog/docker/tree/master/indigo/eva-opencog

with a general review here:

This was an avatar+chatbot combined into one, using parts of opencog to work.

As its unmaintained, its probably broken (unless you go back to old repos)  I dunno. worth a try, I guess

--linas

cassette tapes - analog TV - film cameras - you

Daniel

May 28, 2019, 11:53:41 PM5/28/19
to opencog
Ok, so from what I’ve gathered, it seems like I have to build opencog before I can analyze the code. Is this correct?

Linas Vepstas

May 29, 2019, 1:42:26 AM5/29/19
to opencog
On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 10:53 PM Daniel <danex...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ok, so from what I’ve gathered, it seems like I have to build opencog before I can analyze the code. Is this correct?

If you are interested in the guts of the current code, and if you can't build it, you will be lost forever. Being able to build the current code base is a necessary prerequisite for doing anything with it (including "understanding" it)

If you are interested in bringing old, dead code back to life (e.g. the old docker repo I pointed at), then "understanding it" is an iterated process of figuring out why it won't build, and then figuring out a fix for that, repeated ad-infinitum.

If you want to just read the wiki -- you can, but it's not much fun if you can't run the examples. And, to run the examples, you have to build it first :-)

--linas

Joseph Horner

Linas Vepstas

May 29, 2019, 8:02:32 PM5/29/19
to opencog
On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 6:25 PM Joseph Horner <ras...@gmail.com> wrote:
I was able to build the code on a stand alone instance of ubuntu.  That was last year before i was hit with some personal issues.  I'd like to jump back into the code base, where is the link to the docker image?  that would be the most promising build process from a software engineering standpoint.   I'd like to give it a try.

See three emails back...

--linas