symbolic grounding

Daniel Gross

Oct 18, 2016, 7:13:31 PM10/18/16
to opencog
Hi all,

I recently stumbled (again) over some articles on the symbolic grounding problem. I got curious, how does OpenCog deal with symbolic grounding, in particular, of the autonomous kind ...

thank you,

Daniel

Ben Goertzel

Oct 18, 2016, 9:10:19 PM10/18/16
to opencog
Symbol grounding is in principle no big issue for a system that maps
both language and non-linguistic perception into the same
representational framework...

There are a few little implementation and teaching/training details though...

Ruiting and I are actually working on a paper that mathematically
models the use of logic to provide grounding of language regarding
perceptions and actions, as being developed in OpenCog... I'll share
it when it's done...

ben
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/e3122cd7-7124-4a5c-8a0f-a089aef339b6%40googlegroups.com.

Ben Goertzel, PhD
http://goertzel.org

Super-benevolent super-intelligence is the thought the Global Brain is
currently struggling to form...

Linas Vepstas

Oct 18, 2016, 11:11:15 PM10/18/16
to opencog
There is also the half-finished paper here: https://github.com/opencog/opencog/tree/master/opencog/nlp/embodiment  which I really really need to finish writing, its burning a hole in my pockets.

attached is the pdf of the current version.

--linas

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 7:13 AM, Daniel Gross <gros...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently stumbled (again) over some articles on the symbolic grounding
> problem. I got curious, how does OpenCog deal with symbolic grounding, in
> particular, of the autonomous kind ...
>
> thank you,
>
> Daniel

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/e3122cd7-7124-4a5c-8a0f-a089aef339b6%40googlegroups.com.

Ben Goertzel, PhD
http://goertzel.org

Super-benevolent super-intelligence is the thought the Global Brain is
currently struggling to form...
embodiment.pdf

Ed Pell

Oct 19, 2016, 2:20:57 PM10/19/16
to opencog, linasv...@gmail.com
Hi Linas, I enjoyed the paper. I posted it on our Cognitive Algorithms Literature page.

Cheers,
Ed

> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/opencog.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/e3122cd7-7124-4a5c-8a0f-a089aef339b6%40googlegroups.com.

Ben Goertzel, PhD
http://goertzel.org

Super-benevolent super-intelligence is the thought the Global Brain is
currently struggling to form...

Daniel Gross

Oct 19, 2016, 8:09:44 PM10/19/16
to opencog
Thanks Linas,

Excellent work in pulling this all together!.

I glanced through the paper and hope to read it carefully over the weekend (or as much there is of it, when Sunday is a workday :-))

I noticed the interlinkages in the flow from text to linked syntax+some semantic graph to pattern matching to action identification (via verb) to something happening.

Its like a well designed puzzle -- perhaps, a non-blind watch maker as it were, interlinking it all.

I am going to look out for the blind watchmaker -- the ruminating, running flows of consciousnesses, whereby the linkage, say, occurs in the other direction or is otherwise emergent and with some meaning that maps somehow with the social real world ...

hope i am making sense (at this late our of the night)

Daniel

Daniel Gross

Oct 19, 2016, 8:24:09 PM10/19/16
to opencog, linasv...@gmail.com
perhaps another quick question, unrelated to my earlier (few min. earlier) post.

In fig 7 the arrows all go down(stream). is this currently, so? Isn't there some knowledge flow in the other direction, to direct in some way earlier decision-making upstream ...

thanks,

Daniel