No activity since 24th/July?

joemagicdeveloper

Aug 20, 2019, 10:12:22 AM8/20/19
to opencog
Or is it me?

Ben Goertzel

Aug 20, 2019, 12:29:19 PM8/20/19
to opencog
Most development is on the singnet fork at the moment...

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 7:12 AM joemagicdeveloper
<joemagic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Or is it me?

Ben Goertzel, PhD
http://goertzel.org

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to
live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same
time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn,
burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders
across the stars.” -- Jack Kerouac

Linas Vepstas

Aug 21, 2019, 6:08:03 AM8/21/19
to opencog
I'm busy reading academic papers. -- linas

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 5:12 PM joemagicdeveloper <joemagic...@gmail.com> wrote:
Or is it me?

cassette tapes - analog TV - film cameras - you

Linas Vepstas

Aug 21, 2019, 6:34:28 AM8/21/19
to opencog
On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 7:29 PM Ben Goertzel <b...@goertzel.org> wrote:
Most development is on the singnet fork at the moment...

Well, except that's not true :-) At any rate, this deserves a longer more complex answer. There are very few free-lance developers working on opencog, and the reason is very simple: it solves no practical problem that freelance developers are interested in. And yet, opencog really should be about scientific research, yet this too is more easily carried out in other settings.  We've not built an invaluable scientific instrument for other scientists to use, nor a software platform for less intellectualy-inclined tinkerers to tinker with.  Nor is there much effort given to thinking about either of these, as goals.

Joe Magic, what would you do?

--linas

joemagicdeveloper

Aug 21, 2019, 7:01:37 AM8/21/19
to opencog
Thanks Linas. Well a bit of hocus-pocus here and there :)
Seriously https://www.linkedin.com/in/joe-da-silva-50249a6/ mainly delivering AI in manufacturing.

It's tempting to allocate some time/developers to help out a bit since we have drawn a lot of inspiration from OpenCog, your (Linas) discussions and Ben's books and talks. It seems SingularityNet would be the lowest hanging fruit overlap coming up.

Any suggestion that could be applied to Manufacturing even long term or research level that we could co-develop with OpenCog would have good potential.

--
Ben Goertzel, PhD
http://goertzel.org

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to
live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same
time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn,
burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders
across the stars.” -- Jack Kerouac

Linas Vepstas

Aug 21, 2019, 8:23:08 AM8/21/19
to opencog
Well, Industry 2.0 is the exciting mega-thing going on in manufacturing, of course. I remain interested in the extraction of models from language. Now, normally, when people say this, they are thinking of sight and sound (human vision), but of course, perception and action apply to assembly lines just as well as human ears and muscles.   At one point, I had proposed to Ben that we should build a fleet of voice-controlled (natural language-controlled) fork-lift trucks, but natural-language-controlled assembly lines and/or logistics systems are also viable.  Some of the ugly parts can be ignored -- there's no 3D/spatial vision or self-driving involved; the domain of discourse for logistics is already abstract,you don't need visual/audio pre-processing to extract concepts.

--linas

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/5ad45182-797a-41e5-b52d-bf7bb2f927d3%40googlegroups.com.

Abdulrahman Semrie

Oct 28, 2019, 4:50:34 AM10/28/19
to opencog
Well, I am interested in opencog platform (especially the Atomspace) and have been studying the codebase over the past month or so in hopes of contributing some day :). And we are using the atomspace at Mozi to develop a gene annotation service and it does provide a practical value.

However, the communication channels for opencog related discussions seem too few and not much goes around. I checked the Opencog slack and the discussions are sparse and somewhat "futuristic" . I was wondering if there are any real-time time communication channels (like IRC) where devs who are interested in the platform development can ask technical and design related question to the core developers (Linas, Nil etc).

<joemagic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Or is it me?

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/67151a97-7240-457f-8fcf-961898b1e5e6%40googlegroups.com.

--
Ben Goertzel, PhD
http://goertzel.org

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to
live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same
time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn,
burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders
across the stars.” -- Jack Kerouac

Amirouche Boubekki

Oct 28, 2019, 5:23:28 AM10/28/19
to opencog
Hello Abdulrahman,

Le lun. 28 oct. 2019 à 09:50, Abdulrahman Semrie <hsam...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Well, I am interested in opencog platform (especially the Atomspace) and have been studying the codebase over the past month or so in hopes of contributing some day :). And we are using the atomspace at Mozi to develop a gene annotation service and it does provide a practical value.
>
> However, the communication channels for opencog related discussions seem too few and not much goes around. I checked the Opencog slack and the discussions are sparse and somewhat "futuristic" . I was wondering if there are any real-time time communication channels (like IRC) where devs who are interested in the platform development can ask technical and design related question to the core developers (Linas, Nil etc).

The best channel is this google group. Ask technical question, you
will receive technical answers. The thing is most questions that show
up here are "How to compile opencog" or "How to join opencog project"
or something. At which point people give up, I guess.

I asked several questions related to Link Grammar (NLP pipeline) and
received well thought answers.

--
Amirouche ~ https://hyper.dev

Linas Vepstas

Oct 28, 2019, 10:15:49 PM10/28/19
to opencog
On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 3:50 AM Abdulrahman Semrie <hsam...@gmail.com> wrote:

However, the communication channels for opencog related discussions seem too few and not much goes around. I checked the Opencog slack and the discussions are sparse and somewhat "futuristic" . I was wondering if there are any real-time time communication channels (like IRC) where devs who are interested in the platform development can ask technical and design related question to the core developers (Linas, Nil etc).

Heh. Email is still the best. In theory, I'm on IRC but in practice I look only every week or two. I got beaten up for not being on slack, but when I finally got on slack, it was just as empty and deserted as IRC... I'm on facebook, but my favorite social media these days is ssb (secure scuttlebutt) and it is very definitely possible to have a #opencog chatroom there (technically its not really a chatroom, but that's an unrelated discussion)  ssb is nice because its "decentralized, which actually works and people actually use".

The other decent people (dat, ipfs, various blockchain projects) seem to be on IRC, and many IRC channels have bridges to matrix. There is no matrix for opencog cause no one set one up.  But again, ... ssb

--linas

Abdulrahman Semrie

Oct 29, 2019, 5:01:49 AM10/29/19
to opencog
Yeah, email is fine.  Although, I find it to be cumbersome and unintuitive for dev discussions but that's just me.

Anyways, I have downloaded an ssb client app, setup a username (xabush) and joined a pub (https://ssb-pub.picodevelopment.nl/). I've also subscribed to #opencog channel.