Max distance between pi/hat rig & pump?

Thomas H.

Aug 25, 2019, 3:42:12 PM8/25/19
to OpenAPS Dev
Can someone please advice what an acceptable distance between the rig and a Medtronic pump is?
I've started to test looping today and had connection issues between the rig and the pump.
Only explanation I have is the distance between the rig and the pump.
Even at a distance of about 10ft the connection got lost.
Is that normal, or could there be any other issues?

Thomas

Martin Haeberli

Aug 25, 2019, 4:21:18 PM8/25/19
to opena...@googlegroups.com
Are you using an external antenna?
If not, this is highly recommended.
We usually get at least a few yards/meters of range with an external antenna, much less without.  The mmtune values (the last number) can give you an idea of signal strength.

Colby Harris

Tim Street

Aug 26, 2019, 5:12:23 AM8/26/19
to opena...@googlegroups.com
This may be a feature of your pump - the radios in them seem to be inconsistent.

The other question is how much radio noise is there in the vicinity of use? More radio noise (despite not being the same frequency) often reduced range.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openaps-dev/56d446b1-e872-469c-8e6f-5094a8823f87%40googlegroups.com.

Keith Fischer

Aug 26, 2019, 10:01:46 AM8/26/19
to opena...@googlegroups.com

I haven't thoroughly tested the range, but it works all through my house.  I'll leave it upstairs and will work downstairs at least 30 feet over and 14 feet up through a ceiling.

Cheers,
Keith

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openaps-dev/56d446b1-e872-469c-8e6f-5094a8823f87%40googlegroups.com.

Kim Scott

Aug 26, 2019, 10:01:47 AM8/26/19
to opena...@googlegroups.com
Between 2 and 10 feet as a max distance without/with antenna is our experience too. We've had good luck with the wire whip antenna recommended here with an Edison/Explorer board setup: https://openaps.readthedocs.io/en/latest/docs/Customize-Iterate/usability-considerations.html#how-do-i-improve-the-range-of-my-edison-explorer-board

(I'm linking to the docs not to be obnoxious but because I'm in the process of doing some reorganization in part so stuff like this is easier to find. I asked people and got a recommendation to use an external antenna before finding that section.)

--kim

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openaps-dev/56d446b1-e872-469c-8e6f-5094a8823f87%40googlegroups.com.

Gastón

Aug 26, 2019, 12:29:12 PM8/26/19
to opena...@googlegroups.com
Hello all

In my case usually works within 10 meters and from one room to other.
But you should wear the rig with you to ensure the loop 24/7. The loop will change your life.

Regards