OLC and Google Maps API

Tony B

Jan 23, 2018, 6:20:28 AM1/23/18
to open-location-code
Hi Doug

Any plans to include OLC functionality via the Google Maps API?

Thanks
Tony

Doug Rinckes

Jan 24, 2018, 4:47:14 AM1/24/18
to Tony B, open-location-code
Hi Tony,

Yeah, that's something we're working on. We're considering different options right now, if you have any ideas or requests feel free to reply and I can pass them on!

Doug Rinckes, Technical Program Manager, Google Switzerland GmbH; 9GHJ+P88 Zürich

--
Public site: http://www.openlocationcode.com/
Github project: https://github.com/google/open-location-code

Tony B

Jan 27, 2018, 2:51:50 PM1/27/18
to open-location-code
Hi Doug

Most of the services included under the Google Maps API could benefit from the inclusion of the OLC code either as part of the server request or response.

The Geocoding and Places APIs spring especially to mind, as well as the Distance Matrix and Directions APIs regarding origin and destination points. The latter are important in places without street addresses, but also could serve taxi and delivery apps well in places that have street addresses, by enabling the identification of more precise pick-up or drop-off points.

-Tony

Ron Eagleye Johnny

Feb 6, 2020, 5:35:36 PM2/6/20
to Plus Codes Community Forum
Hi Doug,

I'm designing an ambulance service for my tribe (Fort McDermitt Paiute Shoshone Tribe of Nevada & Oregon) which, given our location on the Oregon-Nevada border is not only rural and remote but frontier.  I'm also supervising the building of the ambulance service infrastructure on the Reservation.

I checked our Tribe's land on Google Maps and did not see digital address for the homes on our tribe's land (called a "Reservation").  I've read the article about the Navajo Nation getting digital addresses for the homes for voting purposes, apparently, on that tribe's lands and wonder what it takes to not only get digital addresses for the homes on our Reservation but for the homes and businesses in northern Humboldt County, Nevada, and southern Malhuer County, Oregon, which will be our service area using Mutual Aid Agreements--all for public safety, providing emergency medical services?  Right now it takes an ambulance more than one hour to drive from the Winnemucca, Nevada, hospital ambulance service to our area.

My work contact is c: (208) 546-2106, ron.j...@fmcdwc.org

I have asked to Connect with you on LinkedIn.

Eagleye (or Ron)

Andreas B

Feb 7, 2020, 5:55:03 AM2/7/20
to Plus Codes Community Forum
Hi Eagleye,

if you have the latitude and longitude of a location, you already have access to its plus code as well. You can test this by navigating to a random location on https://plus.codes, or you can use one of the implementations available on Github (https://github.com/google/open-location-code) for a more direct back-and-forth between lat/long and plus codes.

My work contact is c: (208) 546-2106, ron....@fmcdwc.org