Plus codes on Google Maps only valid when length>=10?

Andreas B

Apr 6, 2018, 10:27:08 AM4/6/18
to open-location-code
It appears as if only plus codes of length 10 or 11 are currently considered valid when entered in combination with a location name - while length 8 codes are correctly interpreted only without location name. For example:

VALID:
G98H+G3, Berlin, Germany
G98H+G3M, Berlin, Germany
9F4MG98H+
9F4MG900+
9F4M0000+

INVALID (plus code is ignored on maps, instead highlighting the whole Berlin area; leads to error message "We could not find: G98H+, BERLIN, GERMANY" on plus.codes)
G98H+, Berlin, Germany

In this example, as probably in most real life usecases, the whole of 9F4MG98H+ is located within Berlin, so it should be possible to shorten/recover the code: https://plus.codes/9F4MG98H+

Is this a bug, or is there any other reasoning for this behaviour?

Andreas B

Apr 6, 2018, 10:37:08 AM4/6/18
to open-location-code
EDIT:

The whole of 9F4MG98H+ is located within Berlin AND the whole of Berlin is fully contained within 9F4M0000+ (https://plus.codes/9F4M0000+) - in combination, that's why the first four characters should be recoverable from the string "Berlin, Germany". The same error exists for location strings defining a much smaller location than Berlin, so I doubt that part is the problem.

Andreas B

Apr 18, 2018, 12:49:51 PM4/18/18
to open-location-code
I now sent feedback via Google Maps.