Update to plus.codes site

Doug Rinckes

Nov 10, 2016, 3:24:48 AM11/10/16
to open-location-code EXTERNAL
Hi all - this is to let you know that the demonstration site, plus.codes has been updated! It's a cleaner UI, allows you to copy the codes with just a click, and also lets you view the OLC grid.

Right now, the UI is only in english but additional languages will be added in the next few days.

On mobile, swipe actions for the detail card should work, and you can share the codes by email or whatsapp.

I hope you like it - feedback is welcome!

Doug Rinckes
Technical Program Manager
Google Switzerland

David Schmidt

Nov 10, 2016, 4:25:32 AM11/10/16
to open-location-code
On mobile, all I see is a black screen with UI elements. (Nexus 5X, Android 7.0, Chrome)

Doug Rinckes

Nov 10, 2016, 4:46:28 AM11/10/16
to David Schmidt, open-location-code
Hi David - if you reload is it still like that? (I have the same phone, it's loading ok here.)

Doug Rinckes
Technical Program Manager
Google Switzerland

--
Public site: http://www.openlocationcode.com/
Github project: https://github.com/google/open-location-code

David Schmidt

Nov 10, 2016, 4:57:51 AM11/10/16
to Doug Rinckes, open-location-code
Hi Doug, I reloaded several times, still blank.

Seems a Javascript issue, either the Maps API is not loading or a web font is blocking (can't see anything written in the hamburger menu, do see icons though).

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 9:24:48 AM UTC+1, Doug Rinckes wrote:
Hi all - this is to let you know that the demonstration site, plus.codes has been updated! It's a cleaner UI, allows you to copy the codes with just a click, and also lets you view the OLC grid.

Right now, the UI is only in english but additional languages will be added in the next few days.

On mobile, swipe actions for the detail card should work, and you can share the codes by email or whatsapp.

I hope you like it - feedback is welcome!

Doug Rinckes
Technical Program Manager
Google Switzerland

--
Public site: http://www.openlocationcode.com/
Github project: https://github.com/google/open-location-code
Demo site: http://plus.codes/

David Schmidt, Peterstraße 35/37, 20355 Hamburg, Germany

Doug Rinckes

Nov 10, 2016, 5:16:47 AM11/10/16
to David Schmidt, open-location-code
Yeah, that is very weird. I've just updated the site to include some text in the black panel if it is waiting for the Maps API or if it failed to load. You might need to reload a couple of times to clear the cache.

It should say one of :
  • Initialisation failed: error stuff
  • Map initialisation failed: error stuff
Does anything happen when you press the hamburger menu?

Doug Rinckes
Technical Program Manager
Google Switzerland

David Schmidt

Nov 10, 2016, 5:19:30 AM11/10/16
to Doug Rinckes, open-location-code
Yep, I now see "Loading Google Maps..."

The hamburger menu opens, but all I see are the icons Satellite and Grid, no words.

David Schmidt, Peterstraße 35/37, 20355 Hamburg, Germany

--
Public site: http://www.openlocationcode.com/
Github project: https://github.com/google/open-location-code
Demo site: http://plus.codes/

Doug Rinckes

Nov 10, 2016, 5:32:28 AM11/10/16
to David Schmidt, open-location-code
OK, I think I know what it is.  (At least I hope so.) Could you try again please? Super thanks for helping with this, by the way.

Doug Rinckes
Technical Program Manager
Google Switzerland

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 11:19 AM, David Schmidt <da...@t7even.com> wrote:
Yep, I now see "Loading Google Maps..."

The hamburger menu opens, but all I see are the icons Satellite and Grid, no words.

David Schmidt, Peterstraße 35/37, 20355 Hamburg, Germany

--
Public site: http://www.openlocationcode.com/
Github project: https://github.com/google/open-location-code
Demo site: http://plus.codes/
David Schmidt, Peterstraße 35/37, 20355 Hamburg, Germany

--
Public site: http://www.openlocationcode.com/
Github project: https://github.com/google/open-location-code
Demo site: http://plus.codes/

Waldir Pimenta

Nov 10, 2016, 5:41:35 AM11/10/16
to open-location-code
The grid is not showing up for me (toggling the menu item makes no difference, and menu doesn't get hidden when I do so, as happens when toggling the satellite imagery item). The rest of the website seems to work well, though. I'm using Firefox 49.0.2 on OS X 10.10.5, if that helps.

David Schmidt

Nov 10, 2016, 5:46:54 AM11/10/16
to Waldir Pimenta, open-location-code
There you go. The map now loads.

Still don't see anything in the menu, beside the icons.

--
Public site: http://www.openlocationcode.com/
Github project: https://github.com/google/open-location-code
Demo site: http://plus.codes/

Philip Newton

Nov 10, 2016, 5:47:14 AM11/10/16
to open-location-code
On 10 November 2016 at 11:41, Waldir Pimenta <waldir....@gmail.com> wrote:
> The grid is not showing up for me (toggling the menu item makes no
> difference, and menu doesn't get hidden when I do so, as happens when
> toggling the satellite imagery item). The rest of the website seems to work
> well, though. I'm using Firefox 49.0.2 on OS X 10.10.5, if that helps.

Same here (Firefox 49.0.2 on Windows 10).

Ph.

Doug Rinckes

Nov 10, 2016, 5:57:15 AM11/10/16
to Philip Newton, open-location-code
Thanks Philip, Waldir, working on the grid. Grr browser differences grr.

Doug Rinckes
Technical Program Manager
Google Switzerland

--
Public site: http://www.openlocationcode.com/
Github project: https://github.com/google/open-location-code
Demo site: http://plus.codes/

Doug Rinckes

Nov 10, 2016, 5:57:59 AM11/10/16
to Philip Newton, open-location-code
OK pushed an update. The grid should draw. There's a problem with the positioning of the labels on firefox and I'll work on that this afternoon.

Doug Rinckes
Technical Program Manager
Google Switzerland

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Philip Newton <philip...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 10 November 2016 at 11:41, Waldir Pimenta <waldir....@gmail.com> wrote:
> The grid is not showing up for me (toggling the menu item makes no
> difference, and menu doesn't get hidden when I do so, as happens when
> toggling the satellite imagery item). The rest of the website seems to work
> well, though. I'm using Firefox 49.0.2 on OS X 10.10.5, if that helps.

Same here (Firefox 49.0.2 on Windows 10).

Ph.

--
Public site: http://www.openlocationcode.com/
Github project: https://github.com/google/open-location-code
Demo site: http://plus.codes/

Doug Rinckes

Nov 10, 2016, 7:19:05 AM11/10/16
to Philip Newton, open-location-code
OK, just pushed an update to fix the grid labels on firefox.

Doug Rinckes
Technical Program Manager
Google Switzerland

Doug Rinckes

Nov 10, 2016, 7:21:19 AM11/10/16
to David Schmidt, open-location-code
Hi David,

If the UI initialisation failed, the map would still try loading. I've changed it so that you should get the UI error. Can you let me know what it says, or if it still loads the map?

Doug Rinckes
Technical Program Manager
Google Switzerland

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 8:24:48 AM UTC, Doug Rinckes wrote:
[...]

Philip Newton

Nov 10, 2016, 7:25:41 AM11/10/16
to open-location-code
On 10 November 2016 at 13:18, Doug Rinckes <drin...@google.com> wrote:
> OK, just pushed an update to fix the grid labels on firefox.

Thanks!

I was going to say at first that I missed the bit where you could
unlock the map and it would show you the code for whatever was in the
middle of the screen (or underneath the cursor, or something like
that).

But the grid is a good replacement for that, especially now that the
labels looks decent in Firefox.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Philip

Doug Rinckes

Nov 10, 2016, 7:31:38 AM11/10/16
On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 1:25 PM, Philip Newton <philip...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 10 November 2016 at 13:18, Doug Rinckes <drin...@google.com> wrote:
> OK, just pushed an update to fix the grid labels on firefox.

Thanks!

I was going to say at first that I missed the bit where you could
unlock the map and it would show you the code for whatever was in the
middle of the screen (or underneath the cursor, or something like
that).

Yes, I spent a lot of time thinking about this and felt changing it to a tap made more sense, especially on small screen mobiles, becasue I don't want to take up the screen space with the result until you really want it.

But the grid is a good replacement for that, especially now that the
labels looks decent in Firefox.

Yes, it's good now that it works. ;-)

Thanks!

Cheers,
Philip

--
Public site: http://www.openlocationcode.com/
Github project: https://github.com/google/open-location-code
Demo site: http://plus.codes/

Waldir Pimenta

Nov 10, 2016, 9:02:18 AM11/10/16
to open-location-code, philip...@gmail.com

But the grid is a good replacement for that, especially now that the
labels looks decent in Firefox.

Yes, it's good now that it works. ;-)

Confirmed, it works for me as well. One question though: the grid does adapt quite well for changes of zoom level at large scale, but when we get closer to the maximum zoom, it apparently stops adapting (neither showing smaller grid squares, nor displaying labels for the smaller squares that do show. Is this intentional?

Doug Rinckes

Nov 10, 2016, 10:04:46 AM11/10/16
to Waldir Pimenta, open-location-code, Philip Newton
Yes it is on purpose. It labels down to "block" level (796RWF8Q+), and then where you click gives the final digits. The problem is that most of the time those cells are too small to label, and there's a lot of them on the screen so the browser performance can get really poor.

I know if you zoom in really far, for codes like 796RWF8Q+WFG, it doesn't display the grid at that level. But that grid doesn't number by row and column, so I think it would be misleading to show it.

I did play around with labelling the rows and columns along the edges - this kind of works on big desktop screens but it doesn't seem to work well on mobile, because the screens are so small (see the letters down each side and across the bottom):