WIndows or Linux, Intel or AMD

Mark Laubach

Jan 28, 2022, 1:08:17 PM1/28/22
to Open Ephys
Hello,

Our lab is looking to build up a new PC for running Open Ephys and also doing basic data preprocessing. So lots of RAM and fast "disks". We would prefer to use an Ubuntu Linux variant and could go with either an Intel or AMD processor.

Are there differences in stability of the GUI between Windows and Linux? Are there complications with an AMD processor, e.g. MKL for Python?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

-Mark

Josh Siegle

Jan 28, 2022, 6:23:17 PM1/28/22
to Mark Laubach, Open Ephys
Hi Mark,

One consideration is that the Neuropixels plugin currently only works on Windows. So if you’d like to record with Neuropixels down the road, Windows would be recommended (or at least a dual-boot machine). We’ve successfully compiled the Neuropixels plugin for Linux, but there are some outstanding issues with the driver provided by Enclustra, and we aren’t sure when those will be solved.

Other than that, the Linux and Windows versions of the GUI are functionally equivalent. And we don’t use any Intel-specific optimizations, so AMD processors are fine.

Josh

Mark Laubach

Jan 28, 2022, 7:15:33 PM1/28/22
to Josh Siegle, Open Ephys
Hi Josh,

Thanks very much for this information!

-Mark

Jonah Pearl

Sep 13, 2023, 2:12:39 PM9/13/23
to Open Ephys
Hi there -- I just wanted to follow up on this question, as my lab is also beginning to set up some neuropixels recordings. We have a few rigs with nice Linux computers, so I wanted to see if there has been any progress on using neuropixels / enclustra drivers on Linux. This is the latest thread I can find on the topic (looks like there's a similar one on GH from 2021). Apologies if there has been an update somewhere.

Thank you!
Jonah

Josh Siegle

Sep 13, 2023, 8:31:54 PM9/13/23
to Jonah Pearl, Open Ephys
Hi Jonah,

We are eager to make the Neuropixels plugin run on Linux but have put this development on the backburner until imec releases the latest Neuropixels API source code.  The version they've shared is 2+ years old and only works with 1.0 probes and obsolete basestation firmware. They have promised to make this public by the end of the year, at which point we can easily compile it for Linux.

We will be sure to put out a big announcement once this is working.

Josh

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/open-ephys/1fe86b28-95b3-4a66-959b-e7e816521668n%40googlegroups.com.

Jonah Pearl

Sep 13, 2023, 10:45:38 PM9/13/23