Relation between delay and no. of nodes

SEDE

Dec 29, 2021, 2:12:59 AM12/29/21
to OMNeT++ Users

Hello, I am experimenting INET MAC protocols by changing the no. of nodes. If I increase the number of nodes in the network, with X-MAC, the delay per received packet decreases. Would anyone suggest me why the delay decreases in this case? Thank you.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Dec 31, 2021, 11:41:28 AM12/31/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Have you checked the path size?
There is the possibility that if you increment the number of nodes, the mean path length could decrease.

Jan 2, 2022, 3:32:52 AM1/2/22
to OMNeT++ Users
Thanks for you feedback, Alfonso. How I can check the path size?

With the topology where the nodes are static, why the mean path length could decrease because of increasing the number of nodes?

Would you please elaborate it a bit more? Thank you.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Jan 3, 2022, 11:39:08 AM1/3/22
to omn...@googlegroups.com
You can use the TTL parameter, smaller ttl values implies more hops, you can record the mean ttl value for the received packets in the application module and later compute the mean ttl of all nodes.

Enviado: domingo, 2 de enero de 2022 9:32
Para: OMNeT++ Users <omn...@googlegroups.com>

SEDE

Jan 3, 2022, 7:19:24 PM1/3/22
to OMNeT++ Users
Sir, what are the possible reasons of the mean path length could decrease because of increasing the number of nodes? Would you please suggest? Thank you.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Jan 4, 2022, 4:36:44 AM1/4/22
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Probability, if there are more nodes, the probability to select a closer destination node can increase

Enviado: martes, 4 de enero de 2022 1:19

SEDE

Jan 4, 2022, 4:43:29 AM1/4/22
to OMNeT++ Users
Sir, I am considering a single-hop topology where there is only one destination. In that case, what can be the reasons of getting mean delay per received packet decrease with the increase of the number of nodes? Thank you Sir.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Jan 4, 2022, 6:28:35 AM1/4/22
to omn...@googlegroups.com
X-MAC with one hop,
In this case, the results should be similar, the problem is that you need to repeat the simulation with other seeds,
if you don't repeat multiple times, there is the possibility that with more nodes the delay could be smaller because you can have more probability that the destination node could be near to awake. In X-MAC more of the delay is the time that it is necessary to wait for the wake-up of the destination

Enviado: martes, 4 de enero de 2022 10:43

SEDE

Jan 4, 2022, 9:55:24 PM1/4/22
to OMNeT++ Users
Sir, I already considered 5 repeatation and got such results. Would you please suggest how many times I should repeat to get the expected results? Many thanks.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Jan 6, 2022, 5:22:31 AM1/6/22
to omn...@googlegroups.com
If you are using a protocol of type anymac, more neighbors decrease the delay, but if you are using unicast, and the destination can be any of the neighbors, the mean delay should be similar in a long simulation, in short simulations the results could be no converge.
And you need to check the variance and confidence interval, it is possible that the results could be overlapped.

Enviado: miércoles, 5 de enero de 2022 3:55

SEDE

Jan 6, 2022, 6:17:42 AM1/6/22
to OMNeT++ Users
Sir, I am using X-Mac. The topology is all nodes are sending packets to
only one destination (similar to the inet sensornetwork topology). In such case,
if the number of nodes increases, delay per packet decreases. Did you mean this should
be the expected result?
I could not understand what does 'anymac' mean. Thank you.

SEDE

Apr 23, 2022, 6:14:27 AM4/23/22
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello Alfonso, I have tried with multiple repetition but still the result is same. Would you please suggest on my above query? Thank you.

"I am using X-Mac. The topology is all nodes are sending packets to
only one destination (similar to the inet sensornetwork topology) located at the center. In such case,
if the number of nodes increases, delay per packet decreases. Did you mean this should
be the expected result?
"

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Apr 23, 2022, 3:00:13 PM4/23/22
to omn...@googlegroups.com

I am not sure, it is possible that could be due to the statistics, more nodes reduce the between the node start to transmit and the time that the node awake

Enviado desde Correo para Windows

Enviado: martes, 4 de enero de 2022 10:43

Para: OMNeT++ Users <omn...@googlegroups.com>

Enviado: martes, 4 de enero de 2022 1:19