Multihop wireless sensor network scenario in INET

FEIT

Jun 17, 2020, 10:29:32 PM6/17/20
to OMNeT++ Users

Hi everyone,

I want to create a multihop wireless sensor network in INET where for example node A can communicate with sink through node B.

Can anyone suggest me which example in INET/INETMANET would be the best starting point for multihop wireless sensor network scenario?

Regards,

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Jun 18, 2020, 3:43:19 AM6/18/20
to OMNeT++ Users
You can check the manet routing examples

Jun 18, 2020, 6:25:48 AM6/18/20
to OMNeT++ Users
Hi Alfonso,

Did you mean showcases>routing>manet example? In that case I have 2 questions

- I want static node. In above example nodes are moving. How I can make them  static?
- Does the source code for example for AODV protocol is aodv.cc?

Thanking you

You can check the manet routing examples

I want to create a multihop wireless sensor network in INET where for example node A can communicate with sink through node B.

Can anyone suggest me which example in INET/INETMANET would be the best starting point for multihop wireless sensor network scenario?

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Jun 18, 2020, 6:45:09 AM6/18/20
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Change the mobility model to static
**.mobility.typename = "StationaryMobility"

Enviado: jueves, 18 de junio de 2020 12:25
Para: OMNeT++ Users <omn...@googlegroups.com>

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/omnetpp/f2e5200e-df61-4248-9d33-b287d5ed6804o%40googlegroups.com.

11187162

Aug 10, 2020, 10:46:38 PM8/10/20
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello Alfonso, would you suggest how i can test MAC protocols (eg. bmac) using ManetProtocolsShowcase.ned? What change I need to make in omnetpp.ini file?

Looking forward for your feedback.

Thank you

You can check the manet routing examples

I want to create a multihop wireless sensor network in INET where for example node A can communicate with sink through node B.

Can anyone suggest me which example in INET/INETMANET would be the best starting point for multihop wireless sensor network scenario?

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Aug 15, 2020, 5:31:47 PM8/15/20
to omn...@googlegroups.com
You only need to modify the mac protocol, but bmac doesn't work well in a multihop network, it is not designed for this type of networks

Aug 16, 2020, 8:00:58 AM8/16/20
to OMNeT++ Users
Sir, if i want to test xmac using ManetProtocolsShowcase.ned, then in which file I have to make changes? Would you suggest what parameter should i modify in which file?
Thank you

SEDE

Jun 4, 2021, 6:08:53 AM6/4/21
to OMNeT++ Users
I have the same question. Can anyone please suggest from where to start if I want to test xmac using ManeProtocolShowcase.ned? Thank you.

11187162

Sep 29, 2021, 7:39:30 AM9/29/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello Alfonso, I am studying X-MAC in multihop network. I am using AODV as a routing protocol. During run time, at the beginning, I can see that the sensor node starts sending preambles before any route is established. So, until any route is established these preambles are sent for nothing. I also studied the same network with csma/ca, in which the route is established first and then the node initiate transmission.
Would you please advice how to configure X-MAC so that when the simulation starts, a node will first establish a route and then it will send preambles for data communication? Which parameters I need to look at?

Thank you.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Sep 30, 2021, 4:36:43 AM9/30/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
The node will need to generate broadcast messages, the RREQ message is sent using broadcast, also, the ARP.
If the hello protocol is configured in the AODV protocol, the nodes will start sending broadcast packets.

Enviado: miércoles, 29 de septiembre de 2021 13:39

11187162

Sep 30, 2021, 7:31:09 AM9/30/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello Alfonso, in AODV protocol, I cannot find "hello protocol". I can see parameters useHelloMessages or helloInterval.

Would you kindly suggest me how to configure hello protocol in the AODV protocol?

Many thanks.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Oct 1, 2021, 5:47:56 AM10/1/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
**.useHelloMessages = true

Enviado: jueves, 30 de septiembre de 2021 13:31

11187162

Oct 1, 2021, 5:56:29 AM10/1/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello Alfonso, I have tried with this code already. But it did not change anything. When the simulation starts, still the sensor nodes starts sending preambles before discovering any route.
Any more suggestions Sir?
Many thanks.

11187162

Oct 4, 2021, 7:33:43 AM10/4/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Sir Alfonso, I tried with the code you mentioned but it did not work. Would you please suggest me how to resolve it? Thank you.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Oct 4, 2021, 7:43:42 AM10/4/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Can you see the RREQ propagation?

If you only see the preamble, it is possible that the nodes could be outside the coverage area

Enviado: viernes, 1 de octubre de 2021 11:56

11187162

Oct 4, 2021, 8:12:28 AM10/4/21
to OMNeT++ Users

Sir Alfonso, Yes I can see RREQ propagation after certain period (for example after 2sec), and then at some stage route is created. The nodes are within the coverage area. I am using stationarymobility.

But the problem is before RREQ transmission or route discovery, the preambles are transmitted for nothing and this is causing cosiderable amount of packet loss.

In csma/ca, it is working like, first route discovery and then packet transmission. Would you please suggest how can I configure X-MAC like that? Thank you

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Oct 4, 2021, 10:48:08 AM10/4/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
No, X-MAC no.
X-MAC awakes the nodes, listen to the media, if the media is free and the node doesn't listen to any preamble, the node immediately sleeps, if listen to any preamble to another node, sleeps, if the preamble is for the node, it informs to the sender that is awake and awaits the packet, the node remains awake start to transmit the preamble if the node needs to transmit a packet, the node will start to transmit the preamble with the destination node.

If the packet is a broadcast, it will transmit the preamble to the maximum time possible to await that all the nodes in the coverage area are awakened.

X-MAC has very low consumption, but it doesn't work well in multihop or/and high traffic, if the traffic is small, can work in multihop with AODV, but you will need to change the timeouts of AODV

Enviado: lunes, 4 de octubre de 2021 14:12

11187162

Oct 5, 2021, 2:55:41 AM10/5/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello Alfonso, would you please provide some hints which timeouts i need to look at? Thank you Sir

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Oct 5, 2021, 6:40:20 AM10/5/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
If you want to use aodv with x-mac you need to change the timers in aodv, with the default timers, aodv will always consider that the search has failed because the wait RREP timer will always arrive before the RREP.

Enviado: martes, 5 de octubre de 2021 8:55

11187162

Oct 5, 2021, 6:58:19 AM10/5/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Sir, should I increase the timer or decrease it?

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Oct 6, 2021, 7:57:53 AM10/6/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Increase it

Enviado: martes, 5 de octubre de 2021 12:58

11187162

Oct 14, 2021, 5:14:49 AM10/14/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Sir Alfonso, I can see X-MAC treats RREQ as data packets and so starts with sending preambles.

Would you please suggest me the following
- Is there any way to seperate RREQ messages from data packets?
- How X-MAC can interpret RREQ messages are not actually data packet?
- Can we read the RREQ packet header in xmac.cc file?
If yes, would you please give me some hints?

Regards.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Oct 15, 2021, 3:33:31 AM10/15/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
The RREQ are different from the data packet.
X-MAC is a link layer protocol and AODV is a network layer/application protocol, the AODV packets are encapsulated in UDP. X-MAC cannot distinguish between data packet and AODV packets.

Enviado: jueves, 14 de octubre de 2021 11:14

F Afroz

Oct 15, 2021, 7:48:29 AM10/15/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Sir, Is there any routing protocol in INET that works better with X-MAC? Does X-MAC behaves the same with all other routing protocol? Thank you.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Oct 15, 2021, 1:32:40 PM10/15/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
You can use AODV or DSR, but, you need to modify the timers.
In AODV you will need to adjust the next parameters, you need to consider that X-MAC could need, (in function of the X-MAC configuration) several seconds to cross a node, but AODV, by default is configured to 0.04 seconds.

maxJitter double 5ms RFC 5148: need more revise: As well as the decision as to whether to use jitter being dependent on the medium access control and lower layers, the selection of the MAXJITTER parameter SHOULD be appropriate to those mechanisms.
helloInterval double 1s every helloInterval seconds a node broadcasts Hello messages (if it is necessary)
activeRouteTimeout double 3s the timeout value for cached routes If Hello messages are used, then the ACTIVE_ROUTE_TIMEOUT parameter value MUST be more than the value (ALLOWED_HELLO_LOSS * HELLO_INTERVAL).
netDiameter int 35 the maximum possible number of hops between two nodes in the network
nodeTraversalTime double 0.04s an estimation of the average one-hop traversal time
rerrRatelimit int 10 maximum number of RERR messages that the AODV may originate in 1s.
rreqRatelimit int 10 maximum number of RREQ messages that the AODV may originate in 1s.
nextHopWait double nodeTraversalTime + 0.01s timeout for a RREP-ACK

Nov 25, 2021, 4:39:17 AM11/25/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello Alfonso,
As you mentioned "with the default timers, aodv will always consider that the search has failed because the wait RREP timer will always arrive before the RREP.", do I need to change rrepTimerMsg timer?
scheduleAt(simTime() + ringTraversalTime, rrepTimerMsg);

Thank you Sir.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Nov 25, 2021, 2:43:21 PM11/25/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Check the aodv parameters, you can change the transverse time

Enviado: jueves, 25 de noviembre de 2021 10:39

11187162

Nov 29, 2021, 3:33:27 AM11/29/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello Alfonso,
I have changed all the parameters you mentioned in this post.

With a topology of one sender, two relay nodes and one destination, the sender can communication with the destination.
But the packet loss is too high  with x-mac.

The main problem is: the nodes are not waking up at the right time to transfer the data to the destination.
Second problem is, when a data packet is on its way to the destination, in the mean time, the sender initiates second packet transmission.

My question is
- Which parameter to look at find the best wake up time of nodes. I already tried changing the slotduration, but it did not work.

Please suggest me Sir.

Regards.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Nov 29, 2021, 3:55:40 AM11/29/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
X-MAC is not a protocol designed for mesh networks, the protocols that can sleep the nodes reduce the consumption but don't work well in mesh networks. it is possible in simulations with a perfect synchronization that the performance could be good, but at the moment that you try some more realistic, the performance will degrade.

Enviado: lunes, 29 de noviembre de 2021 9:33

11187162

Nov 29, 2021, 4:27:56 AM11/29/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello Alfonso, I got it. Thank you.
As you mentioned "it is possible in simulations with a perfect synchronization that the performance could be good", how to make perfect syncronization to get better performance? Do I need to change the timer in xmac.cc file?
Regards,

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Nov 29, 2021, 8:19:00 AM11/29/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
No, the changes are more in the link layer, that the nodes could awake basically at the same time

Enviado: lunes, 29 de noviembre de 2021 10:27

11187162

Dec 2, 2021, 1:33:20 AM12/2/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello Alfonso, would you kindly provide me the file name/location I need to change to make the nodes wake up at the same time?  Many thanks

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Dec 2, 2021, 5:04:18 AM12/2/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
The idea is to modify the link layer that the link layer will be awake when the other node tries to transmit.

Enviado: jueves, 2 de diciembre de 2021 7:33

11187162

Dec 2, 2021, 6:11:14 AM12/2/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Sir, I understand the idea but could not get how to code it in which file.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Dec 2, 2021, 7:15:55 AM12/2/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
You will need to modify the radio module, if you simulate something like wake on radio, you can use a mac like 802.15.4 that is performance is better without increasing the consumption.

Enviado: jueves, 2 de diciembre de 2021 12:11

11187162

Dec 7, 2021, 12:28:54 AM12/7/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Sir, would you please suggest me the specific file name I need to modify? Did you mean dual radio or wake-up radio conecpt? I do not know from where I should start.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Dec 7, 2021, 7:23:01 AM12/7/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Include Wake on radio in the 802.15.4

Enviado: martes, 7 de diciembre de 2021 6:28

11187162

Dec 14, 2021, 4:17:39 AM12/14/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Sir, would you please give an example of how to include wake-up radio? Thank you.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Dec 15, 2021, 3:23:47 AM12/15/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
You need to modify a bit the radio model, usually, the radio model has two states in the active mode, transmission, and reception, and in reception mode, there are two states, when the radio is receiving a packet, and the idle state, when the radio is scanning the medium, you need to modify the idle, in idle the consumption is the same as in reception if you include wake on radio, the consumption is idle fall because the transceiver enters a soft sleep state.

Enviado: martes, 14 de diciembre de 2021 10:17

11187162

Dec 15, 2021, 5:47:40 AM12/15/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Sir, in which file the radio model is defined? Would you kindly tell me the filename so I can try to modify that as per your suggestions?
Many thanks.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Dec 15, 2021, 5:52:31 AM12/15/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
The basic file is Radio.cc, but you can derive other classes that use Radio.cc and modify the methods that you need.

Enviado: miércoles, 15 de diciembre de 2021 11:47

SEDE

Aug 16, 2022, 6:35:11 AM8/16/22
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello Alfonso, would you please suggest a sample code for wake on radio?

Hope, you will help.

Thank you.

Afroz Afroz

Sep 13, 2022, 7:07:18 AM9/13/22
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alfonso, I  am wondering if you can suggest the code hints for wake on radio. Thank you
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to omnetpp+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Sep 14, 2022, 11:08:38 AM9/14/22
to omn...@googlegroups.com
You will need to modify the radio module, the Wake-Up on radio that chip com implements can awake the radio 60 times per second, the radio awake scans, and if it doesn't detect energy, immediately sleep