OKD Working Group Meeting Recording and Meeting Notes from July 31, 2019

Diane Mueller

Aug 1, 2019, 10:44:11 AM8/1/19
to okd-wg
All,

The meeting notes from the July 31, 2019 OKD Working Meeting can be found here: http://bit.ly/OKDWGMeetingNotes

The full recording of the meeting can be found here: https://youtu.be/kYUvRC_0pjY

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat Cloud Platform
@openshiftcommon

James Cassell

Sep 5, 2019, 12:52:22 AM9/5/19
to OpenShift Development List, OKD Working Group
On Thu, Aug 1, 2019, at 3:32 PM, Diane Mueller-Klingspor wrote:

> All,
>
> Here are the meeting recording and notes from yesterday's OKD Working
> Group meeting. If you are interested in participating in this group,
> please join the google group for future meeting announcements and
> discussion.
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/okd-wg

Why the new mailing list?

This email is the only hint that all discussion was going to vacate dev@... it wasn't even hinted to in the subject line.

I joined dev and users a while back so I'd be able to follow the community and contribute where possible. What's wrong with dev@? At the very least, dev@ should have received all mail from okd-wg@ for some transition period while folks figure out how to subscribe without a Google account. I now realize a month later that there's been important discussions I've missed, and that are also missing from my e-mail archive, so won't come up in my mailbox searches.

I may be the only one making the complaint, but it's hard to cultivate community when you leave behind those who'd tried to join it more than a week ago.

I'm happy to see a genuine effort to bootstrap a community; I just hate that you threw away the community you already had.

V/r,
James Cassell

P.S., is there a way to get Google groups to mail you messages that were sent before you joined the list?

P.P.S, I subscribe to a lot of lists, and a subject line more line this one would have gotten my attention (amongst the noise) and I'd have subscribed right away to the new list.

> Kind Regards,
>
> Diane Mueller
> Director, Community Development
> Red Hat OpenShift
> @openshiftcommons
>
> We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/okd-wg/edf5243d-2fed-4cac-8fa8-8479df6417fc%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/okd-wg/edf5243d-2fed-4cac-8fa8-8479df6417fc%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Serge van Ginderachter

Sep 5, 2019, 8:57:25 AM9/5/19
to James Cassell, OpenShift Development List, OKD Working Group
On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 at 06:53, James Cassell <fedora...@cyberpear.com> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 1, 2019, at 3:32 PM, Diane Mueller-Klingspor wrote:

> All,
>
> Here are the meeting recording and notes from yesterday's OKD Working
> Group meeting. If you are interested in participating in this group,
> please join the google group for future meeting announcements and
> discussion.
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/okd-wg

Why the new mailing list?

This email is the only hint that all discussion was going to vacate dev@... it wasn't even hinted to in the subject line.

I joined dev and users a while back so I'd be able to follow the community and contribute where possible. What's wrong with dev@? At the very least, dev@ should have received all mail from okd-wg@ for some transition period while folks figure out how to subscribe without a Google account. I now realize a month later that there's been important discussions I've missed, and that are also missing from my e-mail archive, so won't come up in my mailbox searches.

I may be the only one making the complaint, but it's hard to cultivate community when you leave behind those who'd tried to join it more than a week ago.

I've been lurking this list since quite some months, and seemed to have missed that announcement, too. Never received that original mail you quoted even.

Daniel Comnea

Sep 5, 2019, 9:39:42 AM9/5/19
to Serge van Ginderachter, James Cassell, OpenShift Development List, OKD Working Group
James, Serge,

Back in July an email was sent to dev mailing list [1] and it was also posted on OpenShift Common agenda announcing the kick off of the working group.
In addition we've also sent out a survey trying to understand if folks will be against the google group - the majority was not against.

Then if you look over past months a lot of discussion was around communication channels - move out of mailing, not using slack, moving to discourse, how to post messages to the google group w/o a google account etc.

For now we decided to carry on with the working however any communication like call for agreement on various topics will be posted on dev/ users mailing list as well as the google working group.

We had yesterday our wg call and the next one will be on 17th Sept.

Should you want to list to all the working group meetings please check out [2]

Cheers,
Dani

James Cassell

Sep 5, 2019, 12:30:40 PM9/5/19
to OKD Working Group, OpenShift Development List

Yes, but those discussions didn't include dev@ list, so your existing ML community who didn't make it to those meetings don't know about the new list. Even the email you referenced does not mention a new list. If the results of that survey indicated folks wanted to new list, that email should have been replied to with such an announcement.

> For now we decided to carry on with the working however any
> communication like call for agreement on various topics will be posted
> on dev/ users mailing list as well as the google working group.
>
> We had yesterday our wg call and the next one will be on 17th Sept.

I found the recordings for the end of July meeting and the meeting earlier this week. Is there a recording for the mid-august meeting? I couldn't find it.

> Should you want to list to all the working group meetings please check out [2]
>

> Cheers,
> Dani

V/r,
James Cassell

> [1]
> http://lists.openshift.redhat.com/openshift-archives/dev/2019-July/msg00041.html
> [2] https://www.youtube.com/user/rhopenshift/videos
>
> On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 1:57 PM Serge van Ginderachter
> <se...@vanginderachter.be> wrote:

> >> Why the new mailing list?
> >>
> >> This email is the only hint that all discussion was going to vacate dev@... it wasn't even hinted to in the subject line.
> >>
> >> I joined dev and users a while back so I'd be able to follow the community and contribute where possible. What's wrong with dev@? At the very least, dev@ should have received all mail from okd-wg@ for some transition period while folks figure out how to subscribe without a Google account. I now realize a month later that there's been important discussions I've missed, and that are also missing from my e-mail archive, so won't come up in my mailbox searches.
> >>
> >> I may be the only one making the complaint, but it's hard to cultivate community when you leave behind those who'd tried to join it more than a week ago.
> >
> > I've been lurking this list since quite some months, and seemed to have missed that announcement, too. Never received that original mail you quoted even.
> >

> > --

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/okd-wg/CAOBAnZNHdD2_%2Bun_Eu2iWjBOTzf%3D7kJSqTdQzKnsa-G%2BQbw%2B1w%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/okd-wg/CAOBAnZNHdD2_%2Bun_Eu2iWjBOTzf%3D7kJSqTdQzKnsa-G%2BQbw%2B1w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Daniel Comnea

Sep 5, 2019, 1:24:40 PM9/5/19
to James Cassell, OKD Working Group, OpenShift Development List
On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 5:30 PM James Cassell <fedora...@cyberpear.com> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019, at 9:39 AM, Daniel Comnea wrote:
> James, Serge,
>
> Back in July an email was sent to dev mailing list [1] and it was also
> posted on OpenShift Common agenda announcing the kick off of the
> working group.
> In addition we've also sent out a survey trying to understand if folks
> will be against the google group - the majority was not against.
>
> Then if you look over past months a lot of discussion was around
> communication channels - move out of mailing, not using slack, moving
> to discourse, how to post messages to the google group w/o a google
> account etc.

Yes, but those discussions didn't include dev@ list, so your existing ML community who didn't make it to those meetings don't know about the new list. Even the email you referenced does not mention a new list.  If the results of that survey indicated folks wanted to new list, that email should have been replied to with such an announcement.
[DC]: in the email i've referenced there was a survey which was sent out to be filled and in there there was a link to the google group. Saying that i took note of your message and i'll make sure either myself or the other co-chairs will send out notification to the mailing lists.

Once we get the charter approved we'll learn as we go if we need to review/ improve/ change the process so folks are not feeling like being excluded or missing any information. It is not our intention to do so, is the opposite just bear with us and we'll trying to improve things, we are listening !

> For now we decided to carry on with the working however any
> communication like call for agreement on various topics will be posted
> on dev/ users mailing list as well as the google working group.
>
> We had yesterday our wg call and the next one will be on 17th Sept.

I found the recordings for the end of July meeting and the meeting earlier this week. Is there a recording for the mid-august meeting? I couldn't find it.

[DC]: i think we've skipped due to holiday if my memory serves well. Either way we are aiming for each meeting to be recorded and uploaded so folks who missed can go back and listen.