Teleconference - Thursday Aug-18-2022

yves.s...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2022, 7:43:19 AM8/17/22
to okapi...@googlegroups.com

Okapi Teleconference - Thursday Aug-18-2022

Google Meet session:

https://meet.google.com/gjn-ywuw-hei

Fixed Time:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=2022-08-18T15:00:00

8am San-Jose, San-Francisco

9am Salt-Lake City, Boulder

4pm Dublin

5pm Oslo, Berlin, Krakow, Roma, Erquy

Fri 1am Brisbane

Thu/Fri midnight Tokyo

And 4pm on Savage islands

https://www.google.com/search?q=Savage+Islands&tbm=isch

==== PRs:

https://bitbucket.org/okapiframework/okapi/pull-requests/

https://bitbucket.org/okapiframework/longhorn/pull-requests/

https://bitbucket.org/okapiframework/omegat-plugin/pull-requests/

===== Build problems on GitLab

Main project: Mihai fixed the problem:

https://groups.google.com/g/okapi-devel/c/moFcuM0w_Pg

There were a few failures after, related to merges.

But it’s back to running properly:

https://gitlab.com/okapiframework/okapi/-/pipelines

Many thanks Mihai!

Longhorn seems to be a different issue:

Example: https://gitlab.com/okapiframework/longhorn/-/jobs/2370364091

Mihai tried to update the JABX data, but the build still fails.

https://groups.google.com/g/okapi-devel/c/xub4WPK7XwM

===== Longhorn Docker

Translate5 will now take care of maintaining the Docker for Longhorn

See Timo’s email: https://groups.google.com/g/okapi-devel/c/JdUI6b-RCA0

===== Release OK by Aug-30?

https://groups.google.com/g/okapi-devel/c/UG85XFwmPT0

 Jim would like to release around by the end of August.

Any input for this?

Is the change log up-to-date?

Last week-end of August is Aug-27/28

(very soon)

===== SWT-related test on MacOS

Building on MacOS fails because some SWT related tests

See https://groups.google.com/g/okapi-devel/c/-sYiFlDttBs

Solution for now is the disable the tests.

===== Other Business:

Next call: Thursday Sep-1

yves.s...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2022, 11:45:37 AM8/18/22
to okapi...@googlegroups.com

Okapi Teleconference - Thursday Aug-18-2022 - Summary

Present: Jim, Yves, Mihai, Dale,

1 TODO: https://bitbucket.org/okapiframework/omegat-plugin/pull-requests/16

J: We should give commit rights to Alec Shashaty.

.. would allow better PR handling.

No dissent.

ACTION ITEM: Yves or Chase to give rights to Alec.

https://bitbucket.org/okapiframework/omegat-plugin/pull-requests/

No way we can go back to Java 8.

[...]

J: updated the change log, did pricate tests.

M: I can release, but need to make sure it work fine before.

So plan is to release last week-end of August.

===== SWT-related test on MacOS

Building on MacOS fails because some SWT related tests

See https://groups.google.com/g/okapi-devel/c/-sYiFlDttBs

Solution for now is the disable the tests.

M: we have a few place with main methods for hand-driven tests.

.. no unit test so far.

J: Kind of like Denis’ wish.

M: Don’t know. UI tests are easy to break. Not sure about the benefits.

e.g. screen-shots-based. Very hard to maintain.

M: for the release we can @ignore it.

.. Then maybe we could have a test suite run only from time to time.

.. make things more difficult, especially across platforms.

.. somewhere there is a dependency on BSD, but no official SWT for BSD.

Y: especially worry about multi-platform.

M: this add to the complexity to mainainting things.

Let’s try to address this after the release.

@Chase, @Denis, @Alec: OK with this?

M: instruction file, should be up-to-date

.. info there should be just copy+paste from instructions.

.. can improve on this.

===== Other Business:

----- ICU message format

J: On a branch for now. Move Mihia’s prototype there, took out XLIFF2-specific parts.

.. idea:

First step:

  • Create a filter, use Mihai’s annotation, and that’s it.
  • Other things (like split targets, etc.) is for outside step.

After:

  • Create special steps for the other functionalities.
  • Mihai has done already some code for this from the SandBox.

J: annotations are quite complicated.

.. will have a bunch of examples with comparisons

.. Spartan has done some work on this, would like to get that for the examples.

M: Will try to answer any questions you may.

.. match doc for XLIFF2

.. we’ve been doing this for a while now.

.. - annotations support (proto and xliff2 only) - "normalize" the messages - generate missing cases Normalization: `You deleted {count, plural, 1 {# file} other {# files}}!` Should be: `{count, plural, 1 {You deleted # file!} other {You deleted # files!}}`

.. there are some tricky cases, like several #s.

.. normalization is likely ICU-specific, could be in a separate step, but not necessarily.

.. doing generating missing cases should definitely done in other steps.

J: This may work only with the proto-buffer serialization.

.. likely will have no allotated time for more.

.. XLIFF2 may be possible, but not sure.

 M: Need to submit the proposal too.

M: Note that there is a MessageFormat v2 that will be even messier, with custom functions.

.. ICU 72 as a proof-of-concept, in September.

.. parsing parts should be OK for Java objects. No parser to re-write.

See https://github.com/unicode-org/message-format-wg/

Specs not final : https://github.com/unicode-org/message-format-wg/tree/develop/spec

And we’ll have a registry for the functions, etc. A bit like BCP-47 registry.

.. not defined yet.

Next call: Thursday Sep-1

-end

Denis A. Konovalyenko

Aug 19, 2022, 11:30:15 AM8/19/22
to okapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi!

I would like to clarify the situation a bit.

Mihai, I support your hesitations about the value of testing of the presentation stuff (styling, positioning, look and feel, behaviour). At the same time, if we look at the tests under discussion, we can consider them more as integration ones, when only data related checks are performed... No doubt, there is an alternative approach of manual testing but it looks a way more hard and error prone to me. So, I would rather keep the UI testing opportunity available and try to find out a solution for MacOS. Sure, there is no pressure and we can do this after the release.

Best regards,

Denis

Chase Tingley

Aug 26, 2022, 2:32:22 PM8/26/22
to okapi...@googlegroups.com

J: We should give commit rights to Alec Shashaty.

.. would allow better PR handling.

No dissent.

ACTION ITEM: Yves or Chase to give rights to Alec.

Done.  Thanks for raising this, Jim.

Mihai Nita

Aug 27, 2022, 12:43:02 AM8/27/22
to Group: okapi-devel
This is the last weekend of August.
(still Friday here, but it's coming)

Are we ready for a release, or we should postpone it another week?

If good to go, I will release, probably tomorrow (Saturday).

To enable a Mac release without experimenting with new flags I will add an @Ignore to the UI test, and will remove it after we have signed .dmg files published.

And will see what can we do about UI testing in the future. I'm thinking maybe have them as some kind of integration, so that they don't run for each mvn install?

Mihai

Chase Tingley

Aug 27, 2022, 1:17:55 AM8/27/22
to okapi...@googlegroups.com
Alec and I have a bunch of markdown filter work in progress - per discussion on the open PR, I think I have a slight personal preference to do the release this weekend and then start landing markdown changes (there will probably be more than one) next week, rather than holding the release open.

jimbo

Aug 27, 2022, 10:35:15 AM8/27/22
to okapi...@googlegroups.com, Chase Tingley

+1 I would prefer to do the release this weekend. I'm holding my initial ICU message branch until post release.

Mihai Nita

Aug 27, 2022, 12:30:10 PM8/27/22
to Group: okapi-devel, Chase Tingley
Ok, thank you.