Possible Venue for OpenHIE Meeting

Carl Fourie

Sep 20, 2016, 2:37:18 AM9/20/16
to OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)
Hi All,

On the OpenHIE Leads call last night one of the topics that was discussed was the idea of having an OpenHIE meeting (open to public and with a strong implementation focus). We spoke about wanting to have this meeting where there is significant interest and work/investment going into / going to go into OpenHIE design and HIE for countries.

There was discussion about possibly co-locating with existing events where majority of delegates may already be.

SO THE ASK:

We are looking for ideas/countries/events/venues suggestions that we could consider to have the  meeting.

The WHEN: current thining is Q1/Q2 2017.

We'd really like to hear your ideas and input.

Regards
Carl Fourie
Senior Program Manager | Digital Health Division
Jembi Health Systems |  SOUTH AFRICA
Mobile: +27 71 540 4477 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: carl.fourie17
E-mail: carl....@jembi.org

Email Disclaimer:
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail and then deleting same. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. Jembi Health Systems NPO, its subsidiaries and associated companies is not liable for the security of information sent by e-mail and accepts no liability of whatsoever nature for any loss, damage or expense resulting, directly or indirectly, from the access of this e-mail or any attachments hereto.

Steven Wanyee

Sep 20, 2016, 3:16:52 AM9/20/16
to Carl Fourie, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)
Carl:

This is a great idea! I am interested and keen to support in any capacity as this evolves.

The suggestion to have this meeting where there's actual implementation and strong interest I think makes a lot of sense and will ad more value to such meetings.

Thanks!

~Steven Wanyee Macharia~

Carl Fourie

Sep 20, 2016, 4:28:58 AM9/20/16
to Steven Wanyee, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)
Thanks Steven,

Appreciate you stepping up and into volunteering to support this. From your knowledge are there any countries or implementations or meetings / events that may be a good place for us to consider?

[...]

Steven Wanyee

Sep 20, 2016, 5:32:58 AM9/20/16
to Carl Fourie, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)
Carl:

One opportunity is of course the OpenMRS Implementers meeting. This year's meeting in Kampala in Dec is too soon of course. I can volunteer to start the discussion with OpenMRS for next year.

We are planning for a eHealth Conference in Kenya next year and coincidentally, our thematic focus is Interoperability. I will discuss with my colleagues here (and Onesmus who Carl you know) and get back to you.

I will also check with the groups I am working with in Tanzania which I think will also be a great venue and opportunity particularly given some of the work they are currently doing.

Thanks.

Carl Fourie

Sep 20, 2016, 5:36:19 AM9/20/16
to Steven Wanyee, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)
Thanks Steven

Appreciate the input and ideas!

[...]

Carl Leitner

Sep 20, 2016, 8:03:32 AM9/20/16
to Carl Fourie, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)
Hi,
Here is one possibility.  In Tanzania, we help support the “dLab” project, which is a project promoting the use of open data.  They have dedicated facilities at UDSM, and we recently co-hosted with the MOH and the BID project a connect-a-thon there where we connected several systems together.

I would be happy to share more.

Cheers,
-carl

Darcy, Niamh

Sep 20, 2016, 8:16:48 AM9/20/16
to Steven Wanyee, Carl Fourie, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)

Another option, is HELINA 2016, which will be in Burundi it seems end of Jan/early Feb.  While informatics conference, there are a lot of implementations that are discussed.  It might be possible for OHIE to suggest something more implementation specific there where people could come and discuss/interact (mini-connectathon) from the different countries where lots of components of OHIE are being implemented.

Niamh

Thanks!

~Steven Wanyee Macharia~

~Steven Wanyee Macharia~

Steven Wanyee

Sep 20, 2016, 8:23:10 AM9/20/16
to Carl Fourie, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)
Carl:

Given how these types of meetings take long to plan it might help set even some lofty goals and milestones, get task(s) ownership through volunteers to push it forward and keep the community informed update the community.

Carl Fourie

Oct 10, 2016, 6:39:12 AM10/10/16
to ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)
Hi All

Picking up this thread again. We have had the suggestions of the following:
- Countries with strong implementation focus
- possibly HELINA2017

Thoughts?

[...]

Carl Leitner

Oct 10, 2016, 8:05:58 AM10/10/16
to ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Emily Nicholson, Dana Singleton
Hi Carl,

If we are considering Tanzania as one of the countries with a strong implementation focus, then we could likely leverage the Tanzania Open Data Lab (dLab) as a place to host the event and provide some additional support and/or resources.   I am looping in Dana from our team as our point of contact for dLab.

The dLab hosted an OpenHIE Connect-A-Thon back in June/July of this year connection supply chain systems, an immunization registry, DHIS2,  the health facility registry, and a terminology service.   It would be very natural to continue this with an OpenHIE meeting.

Cheers,
-carl

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OpenHIE Leadership" group.

Steven Wanyee

Oct 10, 2016, 9:53:59 AM10/10/16
to Carl Leitner, ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Emily Nicholson, Dana Singleton
I support Carl about Tanzania mainly because they have probably explored and are far along this journey than most other countries particularly in the region.

Hi Carl,
Cheers,
-carl

Darcy, Niamh

Oct 10, 2016, 9:58:06 AM10/10/16
to Steven Wanyee, Carl Leitner, ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Emily Nicholson, Dana Singleton

I still like the idea of doing this at HELINA or extending HELINA to include this.  It is in Burundi in late Feb, and a lot of health informatics folks from many countries will be there.

While Tanzania is a good idea as the focus technically, I really think broadening the reach to more people to learn about OHIE and implementation of OHIE would be good and HELINA is a good venue for this and in the region.

Niamh

Steven Wanyee

Oct 10, 2016, 10:02:25 AM10/10/16
to Darcy, Niamh, Carl Leitner, ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Emily Nicholson, Dana Singleton
Has HELINA 2017 been confirmed? I spoke with Ghislain and he wasn't sure.

Hi Carl,

Cheers,

-carl

~Steven Wanyee Macharia~

~Steven Wanyee Macharia~

Darcy, Niamh

Oct 10, 2016, 10:03:25 AM10/10/16
to Steven Wanyee, Carl Leitner, ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Emily Nicholson, Dana Singleton

The official dates are not confirmed, but tentative dates are Feb 28 to March 1st in Burundi.

Niamh

Derek Ritz (ecGroup)

Oct 10, 2016, 10:30:49 AM10/10/16
to Darcy, Niamh, Steven Wanyee, Carl Leitner, ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Emily Nicholson, Dana Singleton

I like the idea of piggy-backing on another meeting that will have, already, like-minded or interested attendees. In a practical way, this makes it easier for folks to secure funding to attend.

Derek Ritz, P.Eng., CPHIMS-CA

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

This communication is intended only for the party to whom it is addressed, and may contain information which is privileged or confidential. Any other delivery, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of privilege or confidentiality.

Darcy, Niamh

Oct 10, 2016, 11:16:21 AM10/10/16
to Derek Ritz (ecGroup), Steven Wanyee, Carl Leitner, ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Emily Nicholson, Dana Singleton

Just another thought that Steven and I were discussing.  It might be really good to send out a request to all countries doing implementation, not to ex-pats involved in this work but to local country staff to find out from them what they would like to see here.  It would be a really good way to engage more local country implementers in this discussion so they can prioritize also what they want to do in a connectathon and what their key areas of interest are.

Taliesin, Brian

Oct 10, 2016, 1:21:45 PM10/10/16
to ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, Derek Ritz (ecGroup), Steven Wanyee, Carl Leitner, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Emily Nicholson, Dana Singleton

I like engaging the country contacts and would be a good exercise to refresh the list and even drive aspects of the agenda.

Warm regards,

Brian Taliesin

Systems Analyst, Digital Health Solutions

2201 Westlake Ave. Suite 200, Seattle, WA 98121 USA

Direct:  +1.206.302.6039

Mobile: +1.206.387.8932

Skype: btaliesin

Email:  btal...@path.org

Learn more about our work in health information systems and supply chain solutions.

Settle, Dykki

Oct 10, 2016, 8:22:39 PM10/10/16
to Derek Ritz (ecGroup), Darcy, Niamh, Steven Wanyee, Carl Leitner, ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Emily Nicholson, Dana Singleton

I have heard rumors of a regional digital health meeting to be hosted early next year by the East Africa Community.  Can anyone confirm and provide input on whether this may be another ‘piggy-back’ opportunity?  Such an event may broaden our reach beyond the informatics audience of HELINA.

-
Dykki

Darcy, Niamh

Oct 11, 2016, 9:47:10 AM10/11/16
to Settle, Dykki, Derek Ritz (ecGroup), Steven Wanyee, Carl Leitner, ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Emily Nicholson, Dana Singleton

Also, there is the East African Public Health Laboratory Networking Project – EAPHLNP, that currently Rwanda is leading (2015-2020).  The most recent meeting was in June in Tanzania – this was the 6th Annual meeting.  Given the importance of Labs, disease surveillance across borders and a potentially good fit for HIE from one country to connect into HIE from another this might also be a venue to add on to?

The main objective of the EAPHLNP is to establish a network of efficient, high quality, accessible public health laboratories for the diagnosis and surveillance of Tuberculosis (TB) and other communicable diseases. Specifically, the project will complement on-going regional and global initiatives to improve Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) country systems which will enhance the availability of quality information by: (i) strengthening competence of laboratory and facility personnel to collect, analyse, and use surveillance data; (ii) reinforcing laboratory networking and district capacity (particularly those in border areas) to report, investigate, and adequately respond to disease outbreaks; and (iii) strengthening communications and data sharing to respond rapidly to outbreaks. There are five key technical areas within the project, where each country provides leadership; Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response & Operational Research (Kenya); Laboratory Networking and Accreditation (Uganda); Training and Capacity Building (Tanzania); Performance Based Financing (Jointly led by Burundi and Rwanda) Information and Communication Technologies, Multi-drug Resistant Tuberculosis (Rwanda).”

It might be possible to ask if this might be a forum that could be added on to?

Alternately, to go back to Carl’s suggestion with dLab, maybe if this could be added to a HISP DHIS2 East African training, then it could be a venue where folks could extend their trip (without paying for additional flights) to do the connecathon which could focus for example on East Africa.

Given the broad acceptance of DHIS2 for national HMIS, and now with national HMIS part of OHIE this might be a good venue also?

Niamh

Carl Leitner

Oct 11, 2016, 9:54:49 AM10/11/16
to ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, Settle, Dykki, Derek Ritz (ecGroup), Steven Wanyee, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Emily Nicholson, Dana Singleton, Amanda Puckett
Hi Niamh,
In a different discussion we are in the early planning stages for a iHRIS-DHIS2 interoperability/data use workshop hosted at dLab just after the DHIS2 training you mentioned - and for the exact same reasons that you mention :-)

Cheers,
-carl

On Oct 11, 2016, at 9:47 AM, Darcy, Niamh <nda...@rti.org> wrote:

Also, there is the East African Public Health Laboratory Networking Project – EAPHLNP, that currently Rwanda is leading (2015-2020).  The most recent meeting was in June in Tanzania – this was the 6thAnnual meeting.  Given the importance of Labs, disease surveillance across borders and a potentially good fit for HIE from one country to connect into HIE from another this might also be a venue to add on to?

Darcy, Niamh

Oct 11, 2016, 10:06:17 AM10/11/16
to Carl Leitner, ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, Settle, Dykki, Derek Ritz (ecGroup), Steven Wanyee, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Emily Nicholson, Dana Singleton, Amanda Puckett

Thanks Carl,

This sounds really great.

Niamh

Carl Leitner

Oct 11, 2016, 1:25:08 PM10/11/16
to ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, Settle, Dykki, Derek Ritz (ecGroup), Steven Wanyee, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Emily Nicholson, Dana Singleton, Amanda Puckett
Hmm. It looks like I got myself a bit confused.  I thought there was a DHIS2 data use academy planned for Tanzania in early 2017.    The only one I see is the one in November which is too quick to make things happen.  Sorry.
Cheers,
-carl

Carl Fourie

Carl Leitner

Oct 14, 2016, 9:53:03 AM10/14/16
to Carl Fourie, ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, Settle, Dykki, Derek Ritz (ecGroup), Steven Wanyee, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Emily Nicholson, Dana Singleton, Amanda Puckett
IntraHealth will be.
Cheers,
-carl

Taliesin, Brian

Oct 14, 2016, 10:03:59 AM10/14/16
to ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, Settle, Dykki, Derek Ritz (ecGroup), Steven Wanyee, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Emily Nicholson, Dana Singleton, Amanda Puckett, Carl Fourie

PATH will have a large contingent at the Global Digital Health Forum (former mHealth Forum) in December that includes both Dykki and me.

Pierre Dane

Oct 14, 2016, 10:15:27 AM10/14/16
to Derek Ritz (ecGroup), Taliesin, Brian, ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, Settle, Dykki, Steven Wanyee, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Emily Nicholson, Dana Singleton, Amanda Puckett, Carl Fourie
I am planning to be there as well . looking forward to seeing you all.

Pierre

Pierre Dane
Director of Technology
Jembi Health Systems NPC