Building out the List of Implementation Projects

Carl Fourie

Oct 18, 2016, 6:29:15 AM10/18/16
to ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)
Hi All
On the leads call yersterday the link to the current page of OpenHIE Implementaiton projects was shared:

https://wiki.ohie.org/display/projects/Implementation+Projects

​For those who don't click through these are the list of the current countries where there may/are OpenHIE implementations​
​.

For the sake of this thread​
​ lets consider an implementation defined as: any project (planned, active or past) that leverages any of the following of OpenHIE: architecure and or workflows and or reference components. What we'd like to know is where is OpenHIE being looked​
​ at, the architecture influencing design, workflows being implemented (even in part or using slightly altered standards sets) and or if one of the reference tools is being used to support a project (CR, FacilityRegistry, OpenHIM, SHR etc)​

​So the ask is (and thanks to the team for sending out the original ask about implementation):
Do you have a project that ticks any of those boxes? or know of a project that may?

If so please respond to this thread. We would also like those who are running or are aware of projects to please complete the very small amount of project detail (or at least claim that they are the go to person) on the project page. Jamie has done a great job in creating a project page template in the wiki and feel free to use that. If you are battling with the wiki please just send the details to me in a word doc and we'll get it up there.

I'm also going to call out to some persons that may know more about some countries should they not volunteer themselves ;) you know who you are.

Thanks all!​

Regards
Carl Fourie
Senior Program Manager | Digital Health Division
Jembi Health Systems |  SOUTH AFRICA
Mobile: +27 71 540 4477 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: carl.fourie17
E-mail: carl....@jembi.org

Email Disclaimer:
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail and then deleting same. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. Jembi Health Systems NPO, its subsidiaries and associated companies is not liable for the security of information sent by e-mail and accepts no liability of whatsoever nature for any loss, damage or expense resulting, directly or indirectly, from the access of this e-mail or any attachments hereto.

Derek Ritz (ecGroup)

Oct 19, 2016, 11:18:45 PM10/19/16
to Carl Fourie, ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)

Hi Carl.

For purposes of this list, should we consider DHIS2 implementations as implementations of a component of OpenHIE? DHIS2 is the HMIS for OpenHIE. I’m asking, however, because there are many DHIS2 implementations that not at all adherent to OpenHIE’s architecture… and a few that are.

Thanks for the clarification,

Derek.

Derek Ritz, P.Eng., CPHIMS-CA

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

This communication is intended only for the party to whom it is addressed, and may contain information which is privileged or confidential. Any other delivery, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of privilege or confidentiality.

Pierre Dane

Oct 20, 2016, 12:33:09 AM10/20/16
to Derek Ritz (ecGroup), Carl Fourie, ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)
Hi Derek,

I think the DHIS2 instances that have some component of interoperability should be included, even if they do not adhere to openHIE workflows. So stand-alone DHIS2 servers used for routine reporting are not of interest, but those that are part of an HIS with an IL are. Especially if they play the role of other components of the HIS such as a clinical repository (I won't say SHR here!), demographic registry or master facility list.

Any thoughts on this from the group?

Thanks

Pierre

Pierre Dane
Director of Technology
Jembi Health Systems NPC

Steven Wanyee

Oct 20, 2016, 1:13:39 AM10/20/16
to Pierre Dane, Derek Ritz (ecGroup), Carl Fourie, ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)
My thoughts are any DHIS2 used (or clearly intended to be scaled for use) at a national (as the official national HMIS) level even without any active interoperability should be included. For most countries, DHIS2 implementation is (and has been) usually the first step towards building up a more comprehensive HIS eco-system that nurtures interoperability.

Thanks.

Pierre Dane
Director of Technology
Jembi Health Systems NPC

~Steven Wanyee Macharia~

Pierre Dane

Oct 20, 2016, 1:20:20 AM10/20/16
to Steven Wanyee, Derek Ritz (ecGroup), Carl Fourie, ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)
That actually makes sense to me Steve - it will mean we have a global map of HIS maturity. DHIS2 already has their list of country implementations, but if we can get all of the HMIS teams in these countries involved in this community that would be great!

Pierre

Pierre Dane
Director of Technology
Jembi Health Systems NPC

~Steven Wanyee Macharia~

Derek Ritz (ecGroup)

Steven Wanyee

Oct 20, 2016, 1:47:30 AM10/20/16
to Derek Ritz (ecGroup), Pierre Dane, Carl Fourie, ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)
One benefit I see in determination of country's implementation (and extent/maturity) of DHIS2 is it will provide us valuable information as a reasonable surrogate indicator of a country's pathway towards potentially implementing OpenHIE, or at least creating that opportunity - and for process efficiency, this is part of Carl's initial call to provide info on this page https://wiki.ohie.org/display/projects/Implementation+Projects
From that knowledge, we can then dig deeper and more specifically with regards to the important points that Derek raises.

For example, while in Kenya DHIS2 had been successfully implemented and well used, there's been a lot of effort and investment (and actual products line a Data Services Layer)  in developing a NHIS informed by an EA.

Thanks.

Pierre Dane

Director of Technology

Jembi Health Systems NPC

~Steven Wanyee Macharia~

Carl Fourie

Oct 20, 2016, 8:00:29 AM10/20/16
to ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Pierre Dane, Derek Ritz (ecGroup)

Thanks all for inputs. I think listing all DHIS 2 implementations will be a bit much. Can I say for the first part that we can include DHIS 2 implementations that have planned/active Interoperability aspects. Let's see what this gives us before we duplicate the dhis2 implementation map.

Steven I agree that this may be a fair indicator toward HIE plans and I think we may want to see what has been done with DHIS and OpenHIE Interoperability first and then go back round and revisit other DHIS 2 Implementations and point them to examples of what could be done.

Also anyone from DHIS2 community want to weigh in around this and ensure that we don't duplicate existing work and or respect the community goals if each group?

Carl Fourie | Senior Program Manager | Jembi Health Systems NPC | +27715404477 | Skype: carl.fourie17
- sent from mobile

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OpenHIE Leadership" group.

Carl Leitner

Oct 20, 2016, 8:05:28 AM10/20/16
to ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, Steven Wanyee, Derek Ritz (ecGroup), Carl Fourie, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)
This may be of use:
it has links to eHealth strategies when available.
Cheers,
-carl

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OpenHIE Leadership" group.

Settle, Dykki

Oct 20, 2016, 8:08:18 AM10/20/16
to Carl Fourie, ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Pierre Dane, Derek Ritz (ecGroup)

Reinforcing your thoughts, Carl F, I think this should be opt-in for the DHIS 2 community.  If this is meant to capture OpenHIE implementations, which DHIS 2 implementations also consider themselves OpenHIE implementations?

Following that line of reasoning though – all mHero implementations would also be OpenHIE (at least OpenHIE lite) implementations – Carl L – do you concur? Some overlap with the list below, some new.

Thanks all, I am enjoying this good effort and conversation,

-

Dykki

Darcy, Niamh

Oct 20, 2016, 8:12:11 AM10/20/16
to Carl Leitner, ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, Steven Wanyee, Derek Ritz (ecGroup), Carl Fourie, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)

Also, I think it is important to even mention places where DHIS2 is used, and maybe not yet as part of an OHIE implementation – but referenced – as it is also useful for OHIE to have a list of places where there may be more interest in moving to an OHIE, or as a step here to standards based HIS.  Also I really like the suggestion of a Capability Maturity Model here – OHIE one – as I don’t see a standardized replacement for HMN framework here which a lot of us used in the past, and we are using of course M&E/data dissemination and use frameworks for assessment but it would be great if OHIE had a CMM here and framework for assessing fully.

Also, DHIS2 is used for example as a Geographic Administration service in South Africa as part of their HIS infrastructure, [which has not yet made its way into OHIE (my 2 cents - I really think we need it there even though an eGov solution it is health that is a huge consumer of this information and it is really an essential building block for a HIS infrastructure).

Niamh

Settle, Dykki

Oct 20, 2016, 8:26:19 AM10/20/16
to Darcy, Niamh, Carl Leitner, ohie-le...@googlegroups.com, Steven Wanyee, Derek Ritz (ecGroup), Carl Fourie, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)

Love the idea of a CMM – I see many countries start small – one registry and an interoperability layer for example to support a particular project, solution or use case, and then grow towards a national interoperability architecture vision from there.

Carl Leitner

Oct 20, 2016, 9:05:22 AM10/20/16
to OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)
Certainly mHero countries should be included.   In various stages of implementation we have the following countries: Liberia, Mali, Guinea and Sierra Leone.  There are a couple of others that are in the planning stages as well.

Cheers,
-carl

Alvin Marcelo

Oct 20, 2016, 11:19:20 PM10/20/16
to Carl Leitner, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)

+1 on the CMM. If you come up with the framework, we (AeHIN) can run a quick baseline among our membership. A 'present' or 'absent' (is there a policy creating a national health facility registry?) should be easy. A deeper measure of maturity ('is there API access to the facility registry?') will be harder and can follow later.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ohie-implementers/52daccff-8f76-4550-ab8d-d5585a436ee8%40googlegroups.com.

Carl Fourie

Nov 24, 2016, 8:30:02 AM11/24/16
to Alvin Marcelo, Carl Leitner, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Pierre Dane, Wayne Chelliah Naidoo, Annie Neo
Hi All

I want to bring this thread back up to life a bit, I fear that we may have steered it towards a CMM and away from the original ask of Implementation countries. While a CMM is valuable and I think we can add value with it I think we should honor the original ask of building out the implementations lists made by teh OHIE community on the call :) lets break CMM into another thread? (or am I missing how this is tying into implementation lists?).

So reading the history of this thread we have the following:
- mHero (Liberia, Guinnea, Sierra Leone, Mali) - Carl L (has been volunteered to build these out or pass onto someone who can on the implementaiton page)
- Tanzania - Dykki can you please build out or have someone build our what you know of that is running in Tanzania?
- Alvin / Derek could you help us around SE Asia?
- Pierre/Annie - Could you get MomConnect built out please
If we could have contact persons for various projects / initiatives that would be very helpful.

[...]

Alvin Marcelo

Nov 24, 2016, 9:35:30 AM11/24/16
to Carl Fourie, Carl Leitner, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Pierre Dane, Wayne Chelliah Naidoo, Annie Neo
Got this Carl -- we'll handle this side of the world -- and will ask the MOH focal points to do the updates themselves --

alvin

--
Alvin B. Marcelo www.alvinmarcelo.com

Carl Fourie

Elaine Baker

Nov 29, 2016, 3:58:19 AM11/29/16
to Carl Fourie, Alvin Marcelo, Carl Leitner, OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN), Pierre Dane, Wayne Chelliah Naidoo, Annie Neo
Hello Carl

What information exactly would you like about Tanzania?

- Tanzania has implemented a health facility registry using the ResourceMap platform by Instedd together with a home-grown curation module by UCC.  The registry is in active use and owned by the Department of Curative Services at the Ministry who curate changes submitted by District Authorities.  There has been work to integrate this registry with DHIS2, but linking of the registry with other systems is still pending.
- There have been some discussions and document developed about a) an interoperability layer / health information mediator, b) a way forward for a client registry, but these are not yet at implementation stage
- The Better Immunization Data (BID) initiative has implemented parts of the OpenHIE as a demonstration project, and there was also a connect-a-thon which aimed at linking the components of the BID work to other systems.

Let me know any further information you would like about Tanzania and perhaps I can coordinate with my colleagues to put the information together.

Best wishes
Elaine

Elaine Baker
+255715568512