Sunday: Petersons and Chehalem

Bob Horning

Nov 27, 2021, 12:26:52 AM11/27/21
to Oregon Hang Gliding
Sunday afternoon looks good at both Petersons and Chehalem so far, will keep an eye on them.
Thanks,
Bob Horning
503-319-2007

Jason Post

Nov 27, 2021, 12:31:40 PM11/27/21
to Bob Horning, Oregon Hang Gliding
Peterson sounds good for Sunday.

Mark

Nov 27, 2021, 1:42:24 PM11/27/21
to Jason Post, Bob Horning, Oregon Hang Gliding
I’ll be keeping an eye on Peterson for Sunday.
Mark F

Sent from my iPhone

Bob Horning

Nov 27, 2021, 9:15:59 PM11/27/21
to Mark, Jason Post, Oregon Hang Gliding
Because Chehalem is on the way to Petersons for me, I am going to stoop there at about 11 AM first and if it looks good go there. If not will head to Petersons.

Bob Horning

Nov 27, 2021, 9:35:37 PM11/27/21
to Mark, Jason Post, Oregon Hang Gliding
Opps, personal cell phone number is 503-319-2007

Thanks,
Bob Horning
503-319-2007

rick...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2021, 10:32:02 PM11/27/21
to b...@horningshideout.com, Mark, Jason Post, Oregon Hang Gliding, CBCC List

Chehalem launch often socked in until noon during autumn ,  temperature and dew point are within 1 to 3 degrees of each other tomorrow which means launch will be socked in until after 1pm (or later).... However, l  like Chehalem  windspeed and direction so I'll try my luck to see if I can get a launch window at Chehalem tomorrow if Bob or anyone going.  Let's make final decision in the morning.

Bingen and Yaquina Head south side also looks good too but l don't think anyone feel like hike and fly since there are more flying sites options for tomorrow.

Chehalem Dew Point from Accuweather look better than NOAA

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=45.3003&lon=-122.9756&lg=english&&FcstType=digital

Bob Horning

Nov 27, 2021, 11:30:06 PM11/27/21
to rick...@gmail.com, Mark, Jason Post, Cascade Paragliding Club, Oregon Hang Gliding, CBCC List
Around 11 AM to noon cloud base rises quite a bit, temp goes up a bit too, wind looks decent, so yes, I will be at Chehalem right around 11 AM to look!
Thanks,
Bob Horning
503-319-2007

rick...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2021, 11:44:46 PM11/27/21
to b...@horningshideout.com, Oregon Hang Gliding, CBCC List
Sound good Bob, mine ETA Johnson's farm LZ between 1030 to 11am tomorrow.

Rick
On Sat, Nov 27, 2021 at 8:30 PM, Bob Horning

Jason Post

Nov 28, 2021, 12:00:09 AM11/28/21
to Bob Horning, Rick L, Mark, Cascade Paragliding Club, Oregon Hang Gliding, CBCC List
Steve R. And I will be at petterson around 1130.
Jason Post

greg krutzikowsky

Nov 28, 2021, 12:34:05 AM11/28/21
to Oregon Hang Gliding
Eyes on the Peterson prize and hoping there's enough juice tomorrow . . . Decide in the morning.
Greg

John S

Nov 28, 2021, 11:44:28 AM11/28/21
to rick...@gmail.com, Bob Horning, Oregon Hang Gliding, CBCC List
I should be at Chehalem about 11:30.
John Saltveit

rick...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2021, 1:30:19 PM11/28/21
to sky...@gmail.com, Bob Horning, Oregon Hang Gliding, CBCC List
Chehalem OSR at 1028am

Light SSE wind at LZ
10 to 12 mph SSW at launch and fog is lifting. Ceiling is high and sunny,  can see LZ and miles away from launch.
Text me if you want to see photos.

Mark Sanzone

Nov 28, 2021, 2:04:26 PM11/28/21
to rick...@gmail.com, sky...@gmail.com, Bob Horning, Oregon Hang Gliding, CBCC List

John S

Nov 28, 2021, 9:09:27 PM11/28/21
to Mark Sanzone, rick...@gmail.com, Bob Horning, Oregon Hang Gliding, CBCC List
Rick, Bob and I all flew hgs at Chehalem. It was strong and somewhat gusty, but fun.  Quite warm and dry for this time of year. Then we each hiked all the way up from Johnsons LZ.  No, I am not going jogging now that I am home.

rick...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2021, 9:24:37 PM11/28/21
to sky...@gmail.com, Mark Sanzone, Bob Horning, Oregon Hang Gliding, CBCC List
Yes, great day at Chehalem.  Ray Berger and Ken Dawe also showed up on their trike and Swift Lite electric (motor off) soaring Chehalem ridge with us for a while . I launched first at 11:40am. Flew for 2.5 hrs. Maximum altitude 2,100ft . Will share video and photos later. We will call uber next time.

John S

Nov 28, 2021, 10:07:50 PM11/28/21
to rick...@gmail.com, Mark Sanzone, Bob Horning, Oregon Hang Gliding, CBCC List
Rick mentioned that it's only $10. Split between 3 people? Cheap.

Rick

Nov 28, 2021, 10:17:34 PM11/28/21
to sky...@gmail.com, rick...@gmail.com, Mark Sanzone, Bob Horning, Oregon Hang Gliding, CBCC List

ray berger

Nov 28, 2021, 10:33:34 PM11/28/21
to Rick L, Oregon Hang Gliding
Great day after the rain yesterday. Rick is iron man. Bob and John need to lose some weight anyway. Next you'll be ordering Uber Eats on launch and LZ. Ray

rick...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2021, 11:37:37 PM11/28/21
to John S, Bob Horning, Oregon Hang Gliding, CBCC List

ray berger

Nov 29, 2021, 12:30:04 AM11/29/21
to Rick L, Oregon Hang Gliding
Looking at your track log and watching you earlier, you really tore up and down the entire ridge. Thanks for the video. Probably blowing 20 at 2000, 30 mph at 3000 today. Landing back at Lenhardts was the hardest part because it got a bit gusty about the time I arrived. I was going 65mph downwind and only 38 or so upwind. Pushing out on ridge I could get her down to 17 mph. Fun day.  Ray

Bob Horning

Nov 29, 2021, 12:48:30 AM11/29/21
to ray berger, Rick L, Oregon Hang Gliding
LOL What????? Lose weight??? Says the one that needed a motor to get up in the air today!!!

Thanks,
Bob Horning
503-319-2007
Nov 29, 2021, 11:09:41 AM11/29/21
to ray berger, Oregon Hang Gliding
I know you were kidding!
No idea how long, that’s why we walked that day since we were almost done breaking down when the idea came up. Interesting concept though, since we are very close to a populated area it may just come in handy.

Yesterday was a good day, at time a bit rowdy, especially right after launch, but once up a ways mostly smoothed out. Sailed way East on the ridge, never gone that far, almost above where 219 comes over. Going west was not as good, rather rowdy that direction it seems, big rotors coming from the south over the ridges in front in that area. Explored a bit trying to top land, tested the waters so to speak, got behind the ridge and into the expected down rotor. Was not too ruff but dropped fast, had to pull in hard just to get across the road in time to get over the wires by launch and was in rowdy air there for a bit. Decided because of the quick drop behind launch that going for the regular landing would be the safer bet. I landed in zero wind at the LZ, very lite winds low, did not hit any winds walking back up to launch until right below launch.
Over all nice!!!

John S

Nov 29, 2021, 11:28:00 AM11/29/21
to Bob Horning, ray berger, Oregon Hang Gliding
In my experience, people outside of the city are into the gig economy like uber.  The density of willing drivers is probably lower, though. I definitely think it's worth a shot.  The hike up was difficult but great exercise.

rick...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2021, 12:21:10 PM11/29/21
to sky...@gmail.com, Bob Horning, ray berger, Oregon Hang Gliding
The Chehalem fire from couple years ago clear out a lot of trees,  bushes,  .... etc which made hike up so easy from Chehalem Dr. intersection to launch. No bushwhacking required.

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 8:28 AM, John S

John S

Nov 29, 2021, 12:27:43 PM11/29/21
to rick...@gmail.com, Bob Horning, ray berger, Oregon Hang Gliding
Yes, I remember hiking up 25 years ago, and it was harder then! I'm a lot older, but it was still easier this time.