Bingen hike n fly report

rick...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2021, 9:09:10 PM12/2/21
to CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
Bingen turned on as predicted; Bob and I flew to our heart's content. We had some sunshine along with clouds and few  cumulus. My maximum altitude was 3,700 ft (1,600 ft above launch) .  Windspeed at launch was between 18-30 mph, but once airborned it was all smooth air.  LZ was windy too when we landed around 4PM (approx 15 to 18 mph). I was first to launch at 2 pm, and Bob punched off at 3 pm. It was a blissful flight for me that lasted 2 hrs and 15 mins.

Rick

John S

Dec 2, 2021, 10:20:28 PM12/2/21
to rick...@gmail.com, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
I want to join you on one of these.  I was clamming.
John S

Tim Cayward

Dec 3, 2021, 12:24:36 AM12/3/21
to CBCC List, rick...@gmail.com, Oregon Hang Gliding
Great flight report, you sure know how to pick 'em, Rick.  Well done guys!
-Tim

Dec 3, 2021, 1:16:05 AM12/3/21
to John S, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
Bingen 12/02/21 photos & video

John, Maybe Bingen again this Sunday.

Rick

ray berger

Dec 3, 2021, 11:28:03 AM12/3/21
to Oregon Hang Gliding, Rick L
Excellent flight planning for this time of year. Ray

Timothy J Bugge

Dec 3, 2021, 12:39:49 PM12/3/21
to rick...@gmail.com, John S, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
I enjoyed watching you guys from the beach. Sorry I missed it. I’ll try to join you on Sunday.

Tim Bugge

rick...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2021, 2:53:38 PM12/3/21
to Timothy J Bugge, John S, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
Bingen windspeed looks better earlier on Sunday. I'm guessing the best time launch is between 12 to 1 pm. If you want to catch that early launch window, we should meet at the LZ at 9am. See chart below:

Leaving LZ at 11AM (yesterday)
Leaving LZ at 11:00
Arrived trailhead (8 miles from LZ)11:30
Start hiking 11:40
Arrived launch 12:30
Back to the car to return kayak cart (run)12:45
Arrive launch with harness 01:15
Really to launch around noon02:00

Leaving LZ at 9AM
Leaving LZ at 09:00
Arrived trailhead (8 miles from LZ)09:30
Start hiking 09:40
Arrived launch 10:30
Back to the car to return kayak cart (run)10:45
Arrive launch with harness 11:15
Really to launch around noon12:00

Bingen without driver or retrieve vehicle
Leaving LZ at 08:00
Arrived trailhead (8 miles from LZ)08:30
Start hiking (with harness)08:40
Arrived launch 09:45
Back to the car to return kayak cart (run)10:00
Drive car back to LZ/ arrive LZ @10:30
Start hiking from the LZ 10:30
Arrive launch (1.5 hr hike from the hospital)12:00
Really to launch around noon01:00

Or pay Uber $22 (skip the hike from hospital trail)  to Courtney Rd trailhead.

John S

Dec 4, 2021, 5:25:22 PM12/4/21
to rick...@gmail.com, Timothy J Bugge, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
Still thinking of flying Bingen tomorrow?

rick...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2021, 6:48:21 PM12/4/21
to sky...@gmail.com, Timothy J Bugge, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding

John & To anyone interested in flying tomorrow,

So far, forecast for tomorrow has changed with winds dropping significantly after 10am and wind direction switch to light SE. The good news is having the sunshine, which makes for possible thermic conditions and most likely launchable for both SE & West launches. I expect more traffic heading up and probably no parking spots near Courtney Rd trailhead. I'm available to do Bingen but perfer to go up early. l have an extra kayak cart to lend to those needing one, or the use of a bike is another option. l used my BMX bike once years ago.  Although, the best option is going with a kayak cart IMO, a bike is doable on flat wider trail vs narrow path, but most challenging is heading uphill with the extra weight from the bike.

Here's more information:

West launch is 2,200 ft, LZ is 90 ft , Trailhead  is 1,980 ft. Hiking distance approx one mile, mostly flat grounds with few uphill areas requiring some stamina to pass through. Neil and l have made it to west launch in 30-35 mins using kayak cart. The links below will provide a few Google earth images, the LZ in this link is the main LZ that I've used in the past several years.  PGs have been using that LZ for decades and still consider it as the main LZ.  Hangs are still able to land there for those preferring grassy green fields, but I highly recommend using the new west end LZ for the ample wide space, super friendly for H2 and no rotors... etc compared to the main LZ.

https://pdxhanggliding.blogspot.com/2016/01/bingen-information.html?m=1

Let's make final decision in the morning between 6 to 8 am, you can post it on the group , pm, text me ... anytime.

Rick 3:43pm Saturday

John S

Dec 4, 2021, 9:40:52 PM12/4/21
to rick...@gmail.com, Timothy J Bugge, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
Good plan. I will check am tomorrow.
John

rick...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2021, 12:09:08 AM12/5/21
to sky...@gmail.com, Timothy J Bugge, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
Tim & John,
Accuweather and NOAA still looks pretty good. Best time to launch probably before 1pm. Would you like to meet at the LZ around 9am? I can be there between 7 to 9am.

Rick

Noaa:

Accuweather :

On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 6:40 PM, John S