Octomap: set volume of unknown area

Guido Ranzuglia

Jun 20, 2019, 10:14:36 PM6/20/19
to OctoMap developers and users discussion
Hi,
I'm a newbie with Octomap but I have a decent experience with 3D geometry Processing (i'm one of the two main authors of MeshLab). Could you, please, tell me how to set the size of an unknown area in Octomap? The volume i have to explore is around 50cmx50cmx50cm.

Thank you in advance to everyone can help me.

Guido

Armin Hornung

Jul 23, 2019, 12:16:49 PM7/23/19
to oct...@googlegroups.com

Hello Guido,

sorry for the late reply, I was out of sync due to other topics and a vacation.

The unknown area is implicitly modeled in OctoMap, it is whatever is not stored as a node (free / occupied) in the tree. So it can be as large as the maximum addressable space, 2^16 elements in each dimension. At 1 cm resolution, this is a cube of (655.36 m)^3.

Best regards,

Armin