Updated details for 2022 RMRC

Raymond Sheh

Feb 16, 2022, 6:33:54 PM2/16/22
to The Open Academic Robot Kit, raymon...@georgetown.edu, raymon...@nist.gov
Hi All!

We have put together an updated document that describes how we plan to
run a hybrid in-person and online RMRC this year! Please see
http://2022.rrl-rmrc.org for the latest details.

Note, some details have *not* been finalized yet, in particular which
tests we will consider this year. This is because we are expecting some
teams to be building these in their own labs. We need your input to
finalize this! Please post in the group what your status is in terms of
ability to prepare for the competition, your access to labs/equipment,
etc., and what you consider to be reasonable to build for the
competition. Also please post feedback on these plans.

We also have an updated schedule of important dates. This schedule is
subject to change! Please keep an eye on this mailing list to make sure
you are kept up to date.

For teams wishing to participate in-person (or in-person with remote
fallback):
- Friday March 4th – Qualification Team Description Materials
(Qualification TDM) due for standard qualification (notification of
qualification by the end of March).
  - We will accept late Qualification TDMs up until late May, although
teams who submit late Qualification TDMs may experience delays in
notification of qualification.
- Register for RoboCup when registration opens. We will announce details
when available.
- Monday June 27 – Updated TDM due.
- Monday July 11 – RoboCup starts.

For teams wishing to participate remotely (or in-person with remote
fallback):
- Register for RoboCup when registration opens. We will announce details
when available.
- Sunday June 19 – Preliminary videos and Updated TDM due.
- Friday June 24 – Remote attestations due.
- Monday June 27 – Remote Best-in-Class finals teams announced.
- Monday July 4-8 – Remote Best-in-Class finals (live on telecon).

Again we can't make the decisions we need to by ourselves - we recognize
that the pandemic has made life very difficult for many teams and we
want to make sure we organize the competition so that we can accommodate
the situations that teams are facing. The more we know about your
situations - if you think you can get a robot together, how likely you
are to be able to compete in person or online, which tests you can
build, if there are any requirements suggested in the plans that are
going to be difficult or impossible to achieve and so-on - the more we
can do to try and adjust plans to accommodate you.

Cheers!

- Raymond

On behalf of the RoboCupRescue RMRC Committee.

--
Dr. Raymond Sheh

Research Professor
Institute for Soft Matter Synthesis and Metrology
Georgetown University
506 Reiss Science Building
37th and O Streets NW, Washington DC 20057, USA

Guest Researcher
Intelligent Systems Division
U.S. Department of Commerce
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8230, Gaithersburg MD 20899-8230, USA

Senior Lecturer (Adjunct)
Department of Computing
Curtin University of Technology
Street: Building 314, Kent Street, Bentley WA 6102, AUSTRALIA
Mail: GPO Box U1987, Perth WA 6845, AUSTRALIA

Raymond Sheh

Feb 24, 2022, 7:39:14 PM2/24/22
to The Open Academic Robot Kit, raymo...@gmail.com
Hi All!

Just some updates in response to questions:

- Some teams have been asking "Can we participate virtually?" ... yes
you can! Please see the usual webpage (now 2022.rrl-rmrc.org although
the old website also points there) for details. Please declare your
intent to participate ASAP!

- Our *plan* is to accept 6 students and 2 mentors as in past years for
the in-person competition. Of course we are still waiting for guidance
as to what team numbers are allowed more generally and any COVID
restrictions. We will update when we know more.

- The age limit is set by RoboCup Junior: "Teams with all student
members age 14 to 19-year-old are considered Junior. Age is counted as
of July 1st for the international RCJ event each year.". Note that RMRC
is slightly unusual in that it allows mentors (who can be any age) to
have a more hands-on role in the team, as long as the driver is a
student member, and each student member has a working knowledge of the
robot as a whole and in-depth knowledge in their contribution to the robot.

- The timeline and logistics of registration (and particularly how
online and in-person registration will happen) are determined by the LOC
and RoboCup Junior, we will update you when we know more about that.

Please do keep the questions and comments coming (and do poke me again
via the list if it looks like I've missed answering your question above)!

As of right now, we have the following teams declaring their intent to
participate (or at least asking about it in a way that I took to
indicate intent to participate):

- Team Insper Dynamics (In Person)
- S.A.R.T. (In Person)
- Mechatronics Rescue Team (Remote)
- Bishops (Remote)

For those teams listed above, please reply to let me know if I'm wrong!
If you think you've told me you're wanting to participate and you're not
on the list, please also reply to let me know!

Cheers!

- Raymond

Arthur Martins de Souza Barreto

Apr 10, 2022, 2:02:38 PM4/10/22
to The Open Academic Robot Kit

Good afternoon, I would like to know if we can already send the TDP, and what are the procedures to finalize the registration. My team needs to work out the details of the trip and we depend on it to move forward. We have photos and videos of the progress, do we post them here too? Thanks in advance for your attention and help.

Insper Dynamics Team

Raymond Sheh

Apr 10, 2022, 6:50:23 PM4/10/22
to Arthur Martins de Souza Barreto, The Open Academic Robot Kit, raymon...@georgetown.edu

Hi Arthur, All,

Yes! We are accepting TDPs/TDMs whenever teams can send them! Please email them to this list (unless you really don't want them public in which case send to in...@oarkit.org).

Once you have sent that in, we can qualify your team and then you can register at https://2022.robocup.org/registration/ .

Cheers!

- Raymond

Raymond Sheh

Apr 12, 2022, 6:01:05 PM4/12/22
to The Open Academic Robot Kit, raymon...@georgetown.edu

Hi All!

Also just a reminder, we do have rolling qualification for the in-person competition.

I can of course fully understand that a lot of you will not have the certainty to commit to coming to the in-person just yet, if the situation improves and you can come, please let us know as soon as you can, and then send us your TDPs/TDMs and we can qualify you!

Note that the team registration deadline is June 12, 2022 so at the absolute latest we would need to have your TDPs/TDMs no later than a week or so prior to that.

Cheers!

- Raymond

Arthur Martins de Souza Barreto

Apr 19, 2022, 1:54:44 PM4/19/22
to The Open Academic Robot Kit
Hello everyone, follow the TDP of the Insper Dynamics team. We are looking forward to the competition. If you need anything else could you let me know Raymond? Thank you very much in advance for his help.
ID_tdp_2022.pdf

Raymond Sheh

Apr 21, 2022, 10:32:55 PM4/21/22
to Arthur Martins de Souza Barreto, The Open Academic Robot Kit, raymon...@georgetown.edu

Hi Team Insper Dynamics,

Thanks for your very nice TDP! It looks like you've put together a very comprehensive entry, tackling mobility, dexterity, autonomy, and mapping. I look forward to seeing how your team performs!

We'll be in touch shortly with further details.

Cheers!

- Raymond

Arthur Martins de Souza Barreto

Apr 30, 2022, 3:47:26 PM4/30/22
to The Open Academic Robot Kit
Good afternoon Raymond, we from the Insper Dynamics team would like to proceed with the application. On the robocup website we need the password to start. Do I need to send you any more information? Thank you in advance for your help and attention.

Raymond Sheh

Apr 30, 2022, 5:37:37 PM4/30/22
to Arthur Martins de Souza Barreto, The Open Academic Robot Kit, Raymond Sheh
Hi!

Really sorry about the delay, I should have an answer in the coming week or so.

And a reminder to other teams, if you are able to come and participate, rolling qualification is still open!

Cheers!

Raymond
--
Dr. Raymond Sheh

Research Professor
Institute for Soft Matter Synthesis and Metrology
Georgetown University
506 Reiss Science Building
37th and O Streets NW, Washington DC 20057, USA

Guest Researcher
Intelligent Systems Division
U.S. Department of Commerce
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8230, Gaithersburg MD 20899-8230, USA

Senior Lecturer (Adjunct)
Department of Computing
Curtin University of Technology
Street: Building 314, Kent Street, Bentley WA 6102, AUSTRALIA
Mail: GPO Box U1987, Perth WA 6845, AUSTRALIA

Audrey Lin

Jun 19, 2022, 4:16:39 PM6/19/22
to The Open Academic Robot Kit
Hi everyone!

We're Knight Sky, a first-time team from The Bishop's School in Southern California, USA (we will be competing online). We have included links to our TDM and preliminary video (Google Groups said both files are too big to attach to this email). We will submit our remote attestation videos next week as well!

Please let us know if you have trouble viewing our documentation or video. We're very excited for the competition!

Thank you so much!

Raymond Sheh

Jun 19, 2022, 9:54:26 PM6/19/22
to oar...@googlegroups.com, raymon...@georgetown.edu

Hi Audrey,

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your remote videos soon.

Cheers!

- Raymond