Always getting error 500 on openarchives.org/Register/ValidateSite

Pablo Bianchi

Nov 14, 2021, 8:51:19 PM11/14/21
to oai...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

It seems there is an issue with the OAI-PMH Validator. On every base URL tried I get error 500 (internal server). But on my terminal I can't reproduce the issue on any of the base URL. For eg:

return correctly an http response with a nice 200.

There is a bug on the site? How can I reproduce the http request sent to the baseURL using curl?

Best regards,
Pablo

John Salter

Nov 15, 2021, 5:21:00 AM11/15/21
to oai...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pablo,
I've just run the first stage check on my repository - and it works as expected.

I wonder if there is anything in your software stack that is blocking the validator requests - e.g. IP restrictions, or user-agent filtering?
From my logs, it uses "OAIPMH_Validator" as it's user-agent.

Cheers,
John

Nov 15, 2021, 9:48:33 AM11/15/21
to OAI-PMH
Hi Pablo, John,

I don't know why the validator is reporting a 500 response. The user agent is a good idea but doesn't seem to be the cause, the site responds OK with both user agent and from address as supplied;

The code for the validator is at https://github.com/zimeon/oaipmh-validator and hasn't changed in a long time,

Cheers,
Simeon

John Salter

Nov 15, 2021, 12:25:16 PM11/15/21
to oai...@googlegroups.com

Pablo,

Is there anything in the error logs for demo.bibkat.no relating to the 500 error?

If there is nothing then the 500 response might be an internal LWP::UserAgent response on the validator server - possibly something like an issue setting up HTTPS e.g. mismatch in TLS versions; no shared ciphers; non-trusted (by the validation server) root certificate (looks like demo.bibkat.no uses Let's Encrypt certs).

There may be a difference in what curl and LWP::UserAgent is using for the https setup?

I also note that the 'Identify' response from: https://demo.bibkat.no/cgi-bin/koha/oai.pl?verb=Identify  uses a different base URL in it's response:

<request verb='Identify'>https://demo.bibkat.no/opac/oai.pl</request>

<Identify>

  <repositoryName>Demo</repositoryName>

  <baseURL>https://demo.bibkat.no/opac/oai.pl</baseURL>

</Identify>

I don't think this would generate the 500 error, but it would create a different validation error.

Cheers,

John

Lucas Carrizo

Nov 16, 2021, 11:01:53 AM11/16/21
to OAI-PMH
Hi, how are you? I hope that you are fine. I am experimenting something similar to Pablo's issue. I am getting a HTTP 500 error when I try  "Validate Site". I am using OJS and this is the journal that I am trying to validate: https://revistas.unc.edu.ar/index.php/ConCienciaSocial/oai. I got the following message:
oai.png
I tested in another two sites ( https://validator.oaipmh.com and http://oval.base-search.net/) but I see no errors on them. Can you help me with this?
Thank you!

Simeon Warner

Feb 1, 2022, 1:47:42 PM2/1/22
to OAI-PMH
I note that https://demo.bibkat.no/cgi-bin/koha/oai.pl no longer generates a 500 error when validation is attempted. There are errors (below) however.

Cheers,
Simeon

Initial validation checks (step 1)

baseURL is https://demo.bibkat.no/cgi-bin/koha/oai.pl
Validation only
Request logged from 128.84.116.66

Checking Identify response
PASS Administrator email address is 'po...@libriotech.no'
PASS Correctly reports OAI-PMH protocol version 2.0
FAIL baseURL supplied 'https://demo.bibkat.no/cgi-bin/koha/oai.pl' does not match the baseURL in the Identify response 'https://demo.bibkat.no/opac/oai.pl'. The baseURL you enter must EXACTLY match the baseURL returned in the Identify response. It must match in case (http://Wibble.org/ does not match http://wibble.org/) and include any trailing slashes etc.
PASS Datestamp granularity is 'seconds'
FAIL Bad earliestDatestamp: The earliestDatestamp in the identify response (2020-04-27 09:43:27) does not have the correct format for the time part of the UTCdatetime. The overall format must be YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssZ.

The OAI-PMH data provider with base URL https://demo.bibkat.no/cgi-bin/koha/oai.pl has failed initial validation. Problems reported must be corrected before validation can continue.

Tue Feb 1 13:45:40 2022

Simeon Warner

Feb 1, 2022, 1:50:54 PM2/1/22
to OAI-PMH
The validator is now able to handle https://revistas.unc.edu.ar/index.php/ConCienciaSocial/oai , which passes initial validation.

baseURL is https://revistas.unc.edu.ar/index.php/ConCienciaSocial/oai

Validation only
Request logged from 128.84.116.66

Checking Identify response
PASS Administrator email address is 'concienc...@fcs.unc.edu.ar'
PASS Correctly reports OAI-PMH protocol version 2.0
PASS baseURL supplied matches the Identify response
PASS Datestamp granularity is 'seconds'
PASS Extracted earliestDatestamp 2018-10-11T12:15:10Z
PASS oai-identifier description for version 2.0 is being used
PASS namespace-identifier (repositoryIdentifier element) in oai-identifier declaration is ojs.revistas.unc.edu.ar

The OAI-PMH data provider with base URL https://revistas.unc.edu.ar/index.php/ConCienciaSocial/oai has passed initial validation. An email message has been sent to the administrator's email address shown above which includes a URL to continue validation and/or registration. The purpose of this email step is to ensure that only the administrator can change the registration record of a date provider, and to avoid the possibility of excessive use of the validation script against a data provider by some third party.

Tue Feb 1 13:48:18 2022