NYCPlaywrights June 6, 2020

NYCPlaywrights

Jun 6, 2020, 5:00:26 PM6/6/20
to NYCPlaywrights
Greetings NYCPlaywrights

The Reopening is here!

New Yorkers Anxiously Exit Covid Lockdowns After 80 Days of Hell
After almost three months, the door is finally cracking open. But can New York City ever be the same?

*** FREE THEATER ONLINE ***

Eugene O'Neill Theater Center 2020 Summer Season

We hope you'll join us online for the 2020 summer season! All the events below are FREE and open to the public. All times are in EST.
We ask that you RSVP at least 2 hours before event to ensure that you'll receive the email with log-in instructions before the event.

Artistic Director Sunday Series
National Puppetry Conference
National Music Theater Conference
National Playwrights Conference
Caberet & Performance Conference

Registration:

***

Creative Conversations is a signature program of the Queens Council on the Arts. It is a monthly gathering hosted in different Queens neighborhoods where artists have the opportunity to network, organize, meet community stakeholders, and develop strategies for community advocacy. It is open to artists and the general public. Artists have the opportunity to share their work with one another and their perspectives on what is happening in their community with a larger audience. Interviews with participating artists from each meeting will be recorded and featured on Clocktower Radio, an online radio show, as well as QCA's SoundCloud page. Institutional partners include The SUNY Queens Educational Opportunity Center in Jamaica, Queens, the New York Tibetan Service Center in Jackson Heights, and the Jamaica Center for Arts and Learning.

CREATIVE CONVERSATIONS, - Sustaining Creative Practice During Covid-19, Thursday, June 11, 5:30pm-6:30pm

CREATIVE CONVERSATIONS, Wednesday, June 24, 2020, 5:30-6:30pm, in partnership with the Far Rockaway Cultural Performing Arts via ZOOM

***

Jon Freda (THE FAMILY, BLACKLIST, LAW & ORDER SVU) cordially invites you and your friends to watch the ZOOM-A-THON play reading June 7th at 3 pm EST of SAY NOTHING. The play tells the untold story of an Italian American family's experience with internment in the United States during World War Two.
Based on the  multi-award-winning screenplay of the same name. Written by Letty Serra and Jon Freda. Proceeds from this production will be directed to help areas of Italy especially affected by COVID-19.

Please click the link below to join the webinar:
Password: 982503

***

Hudson Theatre Works
 PRESENTS
our
Virtual Festival

Every Wednesday
We will be releasing short videos of new plays on our YouTube Channel
Please subscribe to our channel and on our  Instagram

all proceeds go to the Actors Fund and Black Lives Matter Foundation

***

Palm Beach Dramaworks
Virtual Reading of Michael McKeever’s
THE PEOPLE DOWNSTAIRS

June 24, 3PM & 7PM

Michael McKeever’s The People Downstairs, commissioned by Palm Beach Dramaworks and scheduled to be the company’s next world premiere, will be presented by The Dramaworkshop in two live, virtual readings on Wednesday, June 24, at 3pm and 7pm. Each reading will be followed by a virtual Q and A.

The readings are free, but reservations are required. The play will not be recorded for online viewing; it must be seen live.

The box office will begin taking reservations on June 15. Visit palmbeachdramaworks.org to reserve your spot.

IF YOU HAVE A FREE ONLINE THEATER OR A THEATER EVENT COMING UP LET US KNOW AND NYCPLAYWRIGHTS WILL SHARE YOUR INFO HERE AND ON THE NYCPLAYWRIGHTS GROUP ON FACEBOOK

Send details to in...@nycplaywrights.org

Thanks

*** PRIMARY STAGES: NOW ENROLLING ***

NOW ENROLLING: Summer 2020 Online Classes at Primary Stages ESPA!

Start a First Draft, keep working on Rewriting Your Draft, update your Artistic Statement, or try your hand at Comedy Writing or a TV Pilot. Faculty includes ABE KOOGLER (Obie Winner, Fulfillment Center), MICHAEL WALKUP (Producing Artistic Director, Page 73), MELISA ANNIS (Writer, Director, Dramaturg, NYU Faculty), KAIT KERRIGAN (The Mad Ones), WINTER MILLER (No One is Forgotten), and many other award-winning writers who provide practical skills and expert guidance in a collaborative atmosphere. Classes begin mid-June.

Flexible, artist-friendly payment plans available. http://primarystages.org/espa/writing.

*** OPPORTUNITIES FOR PLAYWRIGHTS ***

Playhouse Creatures Theatre Company is honored to announce a call for original plays, for its 3rd Annual Dr. R. J. Rodriguez Emerging Playwrights’ Contest.
Seeking 30 minute play (or less), with a cast of 4 (or fewer);
A play that may be performed via internet, phone, or live (we’d love to bring it to the community—at a safe distance—when we are able to);
And, most importantly, a play that deals with the un-dealt-with racial divide we have been suffering through since 1619; and, how the Covid-19 pandemic has served as a pressure cooker of a catalyst. They are distinct, but certainly not unrelated. Our streets are filled with righteous anger, frustration, and indignation. As artists, what is OUR response? What is the message of hope we can bring? What is the vehicle we can create to give voice to the voiceless?

***

Black and Brown Theatre presents All the Web's a Stage Monologue Competition
Instead of a traditional judging panel, we've decided to give the power to the actors who will actually use these monologues. 9 actors will select from the monologues you submit and record their favorite monologue to be posted on our YouTube, Instagram and Facebook Pages.

***

Fred Ebb Award 2020
Each applicant must be a composer/lyricist or composer/lyricist team wishing to create work for the musical theatre, and must not yet have achieved significant commercial success.

*** FOR MORE INFORMATION about these and other opportunities see the web site at https://www.nycplaywrights.org ***

*** THEATER SOLIDARIY ***

A note from the Public Theater

The murders of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Tony McDade, and Breonna Taylor have demonstrated in horrific fashion the racism upon which our country was built. We mourn the loss of these Black men and women, and are grieved and outraged by their deaths. The Public was founded as a theater by, for and of the people, yet it has taken us far too long to proclaim the simple truth: Black Lives Matter. We must stand in solidarity with Black artists, Black staff members, and the Black community. We must do more, much more, to fight the racism that infects every institution in the country, the Public included. We must recognize that the Public itself must change, if we wish to live up to our own ideals. If “We Are One Public,” then the pain and oppression being visited on the Black community must also be our pain. Out of this crucible we will all either become better or become worse. The Public is determined to be on the side that fights racism and inequality manifested inside and outside of our walls. We will release a fuller statement of accountabilities and actions in the coming days. Words matter, but not as much as actions. We will hold ourselves accountable, and if you feel we are falling short, we will listen.

More...

***

American Theater Editors:

A few months ago, I said publicly that it felt strange to be running a magazine called American Theatre while there was no theatre happening the U.S. for the foreseeable future, due to the pandemic and the lockdown it has required. Now, in the wake of the convulsive national and global response to the cold-blooded murder of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer, and a surge of police violence that only continues to vindicate and necessitate further protests against state-sanctioned brutality, it feels even stranger to be thinking and writing about theatre, like a kind of moral category error. How could I possibly be fussing about the theatre when Black folks’ lives hang in the balance?

More...

***

Playwrights Horizons:

With outrage and great sorrow, Playwrights Horizons mourns the Black lives unjustly lost to state-sanctioned violence. The killing of George Floyd by members of the Minneapolis police department is yet another glaring example of the systemic racism at work in our country, and of the traumas inflicted against Black Americans throughout our history. So, too, are the murders of Breonna Taylor in Kentucky, Tony McDade in Florida, and Ahmaud Arbery in Georgia, among countless others.

More...

***

Roundabout Theatre Company:

As a theatre company that is a long-standing member of many communities, we believe in the importance of words, the impact of voices, and the healing capacity of shared stories.

 That means we must also take our share of responsibility for what is good and bad in the world, and our ability to shape it. As we share the heartbreak and outrage over the unjust killings of Black citizens and the racism and intolerance behind them, the current pause in many of our operations gives us an opportunity, as Governor Cuomo has repeatedly stressed, to “build back better.”

More...

***

Second Stage Theater:

Second Stage Theater is devastated by the murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, Tony McDade, Dreasjon Reed, and so many others. We stand in solidarity with the Black community, and with the Black artists and theater-makers in the Second Stage family.

Black stories, Black experiences, Black pain, and Black lives matter. Black lives matter to Second Stage, to the American theater, to our culture - our humanity and our society depend on naming, rejecting, and calling out racism in every artistic and human context.
To make our stance, our position, our institutional standard explicit:
We are not neutral. We reject white supremacy.

More...

***

Primary Stages:

We are heartbroken and we are outraged. To everyone speaking out, standing up for justice, and striving for a world that is truly equitable, we see you and stand with you. Know that you are not alone. We don’t have all the answers now, but here’s where we’re starting:
click the links below for resources for actionable steps. Read, Do, Donate.

#BlackLivesMatter #SayTheirNames

More...

***

Theatre for a New Audience

If the founding principles of democracy are that we all are created equal, entitled to equal justice and the right to life, why, despite these principles, does the blight of systemic racism in America continue to perpetuate death, inequality and injustice? Why are so many members of the Black community, indigenous people and people of color being killed by the police? In the aftermath of George Floyd’s murder; killings of Ahmaud Arbery and Breonna Taylor; and the agonizing loss of so many Black lives, we write to express our solidarity with those demanding we face this question and finally attain a just society.

More...