NYCPlaywrights August 3, 2019

NYCPlaywrights

Aug 3, 2019, 5:02:51 PM8/3/19
to NYCPlaywrights
Greetings NYCPlaywrights

*** FREE THEATER IN NYC ***

Friday, August 30
7:00 PM

OTHELLO
The classic tale of betrayal, race, friendship, and loss is reinterpreted through a contemporary lens in this fresh exploration of Shakespeare's devastating tragedy.

Produced by The Drilling Company. Part of the Shakespeare program.
Bryant Park

*** INTRODUCING BYLINES ***

Mergatroyd Productions, the producer of the NYCPlaywrights web site & mailing list, has created a new web site for literary opportunities other than plays and theater productions.

BYLINES ~ literary opportunities ~ no fees

The site offers most of the same features as the NYCPlaywrights site including keywords. For examples, here are all the opportunities that offer payment, found when you click the keyword "payment"

Check it out the web site at http://www.bylines.org

*** NOW ENROLLING: Fall 2019 classes at Primary Stages ESPA!  ***

Start a First Draft, keep working on Rewriting Your Draft, update your Second Draft, or try your hand at Comedy Writing. Faculty includes CRYSTAL SKILLMAN (Geek; Pulp Vérité, Mary and Max), MICHAEL WALKUP (Producing Artistic Director, Page 73), ADAM KRAAR (New World Rhapsody; Wild Terrain), WINTER MILLER (In Darfur; No One Is Forgotten), ABE KOOGLER (Fulfillment Center; Kill Floor), and many other award-winning writers who provide practical skills and expert guidance in a collaborative atmosphere. Classes begin in September.

Flexible, artist-friendly payment plans available.

*** OPPORTUNITIES FOR PLAYWRIGHTS ***

The Fine Arts Association will once again showcase 10-minute original plays.
Only ONE 10-minute submission will be accepted per playwright. Submit your favorite!  The number of plays to be produced will be at The Fine Arts Association’s discretion and will depend on the mix of qualified submissions. Original plays accepted for the Festival will be announced between January 13-24, 2020. The plays selected will be given full production within the capabilities and budget of The Fine Arts Association. There are no submission fees for this Festival. There will be no monetary stipend for plays produced in the Festival.

***

We are currently accepting submissions for next year's Los Angeles Queer New Works Festival. We are especially interested in:
  • Fearless new plays and one acts
  • Socially relevant contemporary musicals
  • Ensemble driven pieces
  • Daring solo works
  • Unproduced screenplays
  • Pilots and Web Series centering LGBTQ+ Characters ​​
***

The Ziegfeld Club, one of the first New York City performing arts charities to benefit women is thrilled to announce that they will offer the Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award for the Fifth consecutive year in a row. A prestigious grant in the amount of $10,000, The Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award aims to celebrate an emerging female composer or composer/lyricist who compellingly demonstrates outstanding artistic promise in musical theater composing and clearly demonstrates how the grant money & mentorship will further her artistic career.

*** FOR MORE INFORMATION about these and other opportunities see the web site at https://www.nycplaywrights.org ***

*** THEATER & DISABILITIES ***

After making their Broadway debuts in the 2015 revival of Spring Awakening (alongside Academy Award winner Marlee Matilin – who is deaf), Ali Stroker (Glee) and Russell Harvard (Fargo, Switched at Birth) return to Broadway this spring in Oklahoma and King Lear. Joining Harvard is John McGinty (The First Purge, Wonderstruck), who made his Broadway debut in 2017 in Children of a Lesser God.

As the three actors show the audience that actors with disabilities can do as much as the traditional actors without disabilities, they are not doing it alone. The creative teams work with the actors to ensure success.

Stroker is the first leading actor in a wheelchair in a Broadway musical. She plays Ado Annie in the modern revival of Rodger & Hammerstein’s Oklahoma! and she received critical acclaim for her performance.

Choreography is a giant part of every musical and Oklahoma is no expectation. Since Stroker cannot dance traditionally with her co-stars, she and the show’s choreographer John Heginbotham make motions with other parts of her body to match with her co-stars. She breaks down the process in an interview with Vulture.

“Usually, the first day of rehearsal, whether we’re working on choreography or not, I always introduce myself to the choreographer. It’s important, if you move differently, to have a good relationship. The next part is about translation — I use that term a lot when I talk about dance. It basically means that I take what everyone else is doing and then I translate it for my body. So if they’re doing something with their feet, I might translate it and do it with my shoulders or my hands, capturing the essence and the spirit of each move. Because — is it satisfying to see everyone doing the same exact movement? Yes. But it’s more satisfying to see somebody move and express themselves.”

More...

***

TBTB, Theater Breaking Through Barriers, is the only Off-Broadway theater, and one of the few professional theaters in the country, dedicated to advancing writers, actors, directors, designers, technicians and administrators with disabilities and changing the image of people with disabilities.

***

No Peeking Theatre was founded in Jersey City by Amanda Levie in 2012 to create a new format of theatre without one crucial element: Sight.

Their mission has been to bring communities together through works that create dialogue between marginalized groups and building a platform for diverse and high quality theatre.

Audience members are blindfolded for the duration of the show and are introduced to sensory elements such as sound, taste, scent, atmosphere, and touch. These sensory elements are designed to invoke the "world of the play/story/piece". No Peeking is changing the way we experience and create live arts.

Due to the structural changes and functions of No Peeking Theatre's format, we are able to create substantial opportunities in accessibility,design employment, reduce consumption and waste, intersecting multiple fine arts for our designs, and more diverse and fairer casting

***

TDF believes that the arts should be shared with everyone, including those with vision loss. For theatregoers who have low vision or are blind, TDF’s Accessibility Programs provide audio description services at select Broadway performances. Audio description allows the theatre lover who is blind or has low vision, to enjoy a live performance with their loved ones.

Who's Eligible?

There is no annual fee, but you must provide proof of eligibility in order to take advantage of our vision loss program. Anyone who is blind or has low vision, or may benefit from audio-description services as the result of a documented physical limitation is eligible to apply for TDF Accessibility Membership.

***

Founded in Los Angeles in 1991, Deaf West Theatre engages artists and audiences in unparalleled theater experiences inspired by Deaf culture and the expressive power of sign language.  Committed to innovation, collaboration, and training, Deaf West Theatre is the artistic bridge between the deaf and hearing worlds.

***

Why should there be a National Disability Theatre? The easy answer is, there shouldn’t have to be, but very few questions are easy. Being autistic and legally blind, growing up and through high school I had no friends. I spent my lunch breaks and recesses pacing the hallways not knowing who to talk to, how to talk to them, or how to make a friend. I was completely alone in my own head. But my grandmother had a subscription to Seattle Children’s Theatre and when I was sitting in the dark theatre watching a show, I felt seen, I felt silently heard, and really sitting in that audience was the one time I felt understood

***

9 Theater Companies Putting Actors with Disabilities Center Stage

Non-disabled actors play approximately 95 percent of television characters with disabilities in top ranked shows, according to a study by Ruderman White Paper. Data pertaining to stage actors is pretty much non-existent, but odds are statistics are similar to or, more likely, skewed even worse. Simply put: 5 percent doesn’t come close to matching up with viewer demographics. You see, data published by the U.S. Census Bureau cited that nearly 20 percent of the population has a disability – over 56 million people. That means that representation of characters portrayed by actors with disabilities is, at a minimum, off by 15 percent.

More...

***

Theatre is for everyone! We empower people with special needs, seniors, everyone, to break through the fourth wall, get on stage, and shine. Through singing, dancing, and acting our actors-to-be learn about the theatre, the world, and themselves. Our staff travels to your venue providing an enriching theatre experience with music and movement therapy creating a showcase performance for family and friends.

***

The Apothetae is a company dedicated to the production of works that explore and illuminate the, "Disabled Experience."  To do this we focus on newly commissioned plays by both established and up and coming playwrights, and material that already exist in the theatrical canon featuring characters with disabilities or dealing with disabled themes: Oedipus, Richard III, The Elephant Man, etc. By making visible the human impact of disabled people throughout history, we believe empathy can be practiced, perceptions changed and new communities forged through the collaborative and transformative power of the artistic process.

***

Founded in 1989, Phamaly Theatre Company was created when five students from the Boettcher School in Denver, all living with disabilities, grew frustrated with the lack of theatrical opportunities for people living with disabilities.  The group decided to create a theatre company that would provide individuals with disabilities the opportunity to perform.

Phamaly's founders were ahead of their time in building an inclusive organization that directly served disenfranchised individuals with disabilities from all racial, ethnic, gender, and class identities.  Phamaly continues to give individuals a supportive space to achieve their full potential and provides Colorado with an expansive artistic experience that cannot be found anywhere else.

***

On Sunday night, Ali Stroker became the first person who uses a wheelchair to win a Tony Award.

“This award is for every kid who is watching tonight who has a disability, who has a limitation or a challenge, who has been waiting to see themselves represented in this arena — you are,” Ms. Stroker said while accepting her statuette for her role as Ado Annie in the Broadway revival of the musical “Oklahoma!.”

In addition to thanking the musical’s cast, she thanked “her home team” — “my best friends, who have held my hands and pulled me around New York City for years helping me.”

[Read highlights from the Tony Awards. | Ali Stroker talks to us about her Tony win.]

Ms. Stroker, a 31-year-old New Jersey native who lost the use of her legs in a car accident when she was 2 years old, also thanked her parents “for teaching me to use my gifts to help people.”

More...