NYCPlaywrights February 2, 2019

NYCPlaywrights

Feb 2, 2019, 5:02:46 PM2/2/19
to NYCPlaywrights
Greetings NYCPlaywrights

*** NYCPLAYWRIGHTS PODCAST: ROMANTIC COMEDY SELECTED ***

We received 135 submissions for our call for 10-minute romantic comedies. Unfortunately we could only select one: STARS by D. J. Sylvis.

Thanks to everybody who sent their scripts!

An audio performance of STARS will be recorded for the next episode of the NYCPlaywrights Podcast.

*** FREE THEATER IN NYC ***

Tuesday February 5, 2019
7PM
HAVE YOU MET JANE GOODALL & HER MOTHER
by Michael Walek
The Tanzanian government allowed Jane Goodall to study chimpanzees in the wild under one condition- she must bring a chaperone, so she invited her mother.

Ensemble Studio Theater
545 W 52ND ST, NEW YORK, NY 10019

*** PLAYWRIGHTS OPPORTUNITIES ***

Theatre Southwest of Houston, Texas is now accepting entries for the 22th Annual  Theatre Southwest Festival of Originals! The TSW-FOO is FREE to enter and will once again be calling for short one act (20 minute) plays in any and all genres from all over the country and the world. Please check below for submission guidelines and see how you can enter for a chance to win a cash prize and to see your work produced.

***

South Baldwin Community Theatre of Golf Shores, Alabama is seeking submissions for the Fifth Annual End of the Road New Short Play Festival and Beach Party to be held July 12, 13 & 14 2019 in Gulf Shores AL. It will consist of three staged readings of eight winning ten-minute plays. There will be an additional slot reserved for a student (18 and under) play.

***

We are currently seeking submissions from playwrights for our 4th Annual One Act Playwright Jamboree at our new state-of-the-art black box facility in Pompton Lakes, NJ. If selected for participation by our review panel, their plays will receive a fully staged production with our experienced directors and creative teams during our One Act showcase which runs an entire four show weekend. The winning playwright, voted upon by our loyal audiences, receives a $500 cash reward. OPEN TO PLAYWRIGHTS IN NYC, US, and INTERNATIONAL.

*** For more information about these and other opportunities see the web site at http://www.nycplaywrights.org ***

*** INTERNATIONAL THEATER ***

World Theatre Day was initiated in 1961 by the International Theatre Institute ITI. It is celebrated annually on the 27th March by ITI Centres and the international theatre community. Various national and international theatre events are organized to mark this occasion. One of the most important of these is the circulation of the World Theatre Day Message through which at the invitation of ITI, a figure of world stature shares his or her reflections on the theme of Theatre and a Culture of Peace. The first World Theatre Day Message was written by Jean Cocteau in 1962.

***

The International Theatre Institute was created on the initiative of the first UNESCO Director General, Sir Julian Huxley, and the playwright and novelist JB Priestly, in 1948, just after the Second World War. This was the beginning of the Cold War, when the Iron Curtain divided East and West. The aim of the founders of ITI was to build a cultural organization for the performing arts that was aligned with UNESCO’s goals on culture, education, the arts, mutual understanding and peace. It should focus its endeavours on improving the status of all members of the performing arts professions. They envisaged an organization that created platforms for international exchange and for engagement in the education of the performing arts, for beginners and professionals alike, as well as using the performing arts for mutual understanding and peace.

***

The International Association of Theatre Critics WAS ESTABLISHED IN 1956
The IATC draws together more than two thousand theatre critics, through some fifty National Sections. Founded in Paris in 1956, the IATC is a non-profit, Non-Governmental Organization benefitting under statute B of UNESCO.

The purpose of the IATC is to bring together theatre critics in order to promote international cooperation. Its principal aims are to foster theatre criticism as a discipline and to contribute to the development of its methodological bases; to protect the ethical and professional interests of theatre critics and to promote the common rights of all its members; and to contribute to reciprocal awareness and understanding between cultures by encouraging international meetings and exchanges in the field of theatre in general.

The IATC holds a world congress every two years, seminars for young critics twice a year, as well as symposiums, and contributes to juries. English and French are the association’s two official languages, and its place of incorporation is Paris.

***

International Drama and Theatre Education Association (IDEA) is open to regional and international associations and to other institutes, bodies, networks, organisations and individuals working in drama/theatre and education. We represent drama/theatre and education in a world context;

We liaise with other national and international organisations working in all fields relevant to education, especially education through the arts;

 • we organise regional and international congresses for drama/theatre and education;
 • we initiate research into and development of drama/theatre and education;
 • we produce international publications and facilitate the circulation of information relevant to drama/theatre and education; and
 • we encourage the exchange of drama/theatre practitioners between our member associations.

***

International Festival of Ancient Greek Drama

When in 1997, the Board of Directors of the Cyprus Centre of the International Theatre Institute (CCOITI) decided, after a suggestion by the then director, Nicos Shafkalis, to launch the “International Festival of Ancient Greek Drama”, it was motivated by one ambition: to give ancient Greek drama a wider presence in the theatrical activities of the island and thus to contribute to the building of theatrical sensibility among the people, by offering them entertainment of a multi-cultural nature and high aesthetic standards. And this is due to the fact that the CCOITI has always believed that the ancient Greek drama which constitutes the basis of the contemporary European drama and an element of the world cultural heritage, has direct relevance to today’s world.

The performances are presented in open-air amphitheatres, such as the Ancient Odeon in Paphos, the Curium Ancient Theatre in Limassol and the “Skali” Amphitheatre Aglantzia in Nicosia, during the whole month of July every year.

***

World Theater Map