New "data" radio - Yaesu FTM-6000R

Steve Stroh

Nov 2, 2021, 7:54:28 PM11/2/21
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Most importantly for data operation this radio has the usual 6-pin
MiniDIN (via a $30 adapter cable from the radio's 10-pin MiniDIN) and
flat audio ("9600") input and output.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-017683

https://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=106&encProdID=3BEE472B7584ACA7C6A71F41B8ADCEC9&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

A primary feature (for me) is that this radio isn't encumbered with
C4FM. Other features are an optional Bluetooth interface, 50-watt
maximum power output, 144 / 440 MHz, with a simplified front panel..

Price isn't bad - $319.

Like our old friend, the Kenwood TM-V71A, it does have a fan, though
it seems a bit more optimized than the TM-V71A's fan.

I'll be poking at it a bit (virtually - I'm full up on radios at the
moment) in Zero Retries this Friday.

I'm really shocked that Yaesu is paying attention to data that isn't
C4FM! They're owed kudos for that, at least. I suspect the emergence
of such a radio, now, is a direct reaction to the rising popularity of
VARA FM Wide usage for Winlink and an opening with Kenwood having
discontinued the TM-V71A and the very high prices for remaining units
in the pipeline. For those that want to VARA FM Wide, this seems like
a good choice.

Thanks,

Steve N8GNJ

--
Steve Stroh steve...@gmail.com
Editor

Peter Dahl

Nov 2, 2021, 8:12:53 PM11/2/21
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Yes! That does look like a great multi-featured and multi-purpose voice and data radio!

Peter WA7FUS

Fred Hillhouse Jr

Nov 4, 2021, 7:15:17 PM11/4/21
to nww...@googlegroups.com
I didn't see any reference to actual data except for cloning radio. Did you find that it will support it?

Best regards,
Fred N7FMH

Peter Dahl

Nov 4, 2021, 7:56:25 PM11/4/21
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Fred,
I downloaded the manuals for the FTM-6000R and found (in the advanced operating manual) information on using the radio's 10 pin mini din data jack with the available 10 pin to 6 pin adapter data cable and also the menu function for choosing either audio for 1200 baud or 9600 baud digital data modes.

Peter Dahl WA7FUS

Fred Hillhouse Jr

Nov 4, 2021, 8:11:02 PM11/4/21
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Peter!
I will go back and look for that manual.

Best regards,
Fred N7FMH

Steve Magnuson

Nov 5, 2021, 4:55:06 PM11/5/21
to nwwdigi
Interesting. No CAT control, though.

Alinco has fanless non-CAT radios with a 9600 audio tap via a DB9 connector. They are the ALINCO DR-135TMKIII (2m only for $165) and the ALINCO DR-435TMKIII (70cm only for $250). I own the now discontinued ALINCO DR-235TMKIII (1.25m only) and it works very well with 9600 data.

ALINCO DR-135TMKIII: https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-008739
ALINCO DR-435TMKIII: https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-006984

Steve
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nwwdigi/CAPEjH5HFPX_HijxUn2QCPrbX%3DC-ehNu7u4uO0bd4Yik2__Cs%3Dw%40mail.gmail.com.

Steve Stroh

Nov 5, 2021, 7:35:32 PM11/5/21
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Steve:

Yeah, no remote control over frequency, etc. is a bummer, but
something had to give.

It's been widely reported that the DR-435TMKIII has also been discontinued.

We gotta get some cool data going over 222-225 MHz!

Bridgecom Systems also makes mobile radios with "9600 audio tap" via a
High Density D15 connector (looks like VGA):

BCM-144 https://www.bridgecomsystems.com/collections/amateur-mobile-radios/products/bcm-144-mhz-2m-mobile-radio

BCM-440 https://www.bridgecomsystems.com/collections/amateur-mobile-radios/products/bcm-440-70cm-mobile-radio

Both are shown as out of stock, which seems to be fatal these days.
They used to offer the BCM-222, but it's no longer shown.

Thanks,

Steve N8GNJ
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nwwdigi/4ED4844B-2564-4B8C-A8A5-064DC545A711%40gmail.com.

Andy Sayler

Nov 6, 2021, 12:28:32 PM11/6/21
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Good morning to the group,

If budget is what drives you and you don't need remote control The TYT TH 9000D will do the trick on VHF UHF and 220. I have picked up a couple of these in the pasty and they often go on sale for $100.00 flat. The other part that is nice is your getting a full 50 Watts.

Food for thought.

VHF Model

UHF Model

220 Model

DB9 Mod

KF7VOL

--
Andy Sayler, Head Monkey | Keyed Up/Oil Can Garage.
Down The Street | Lynden, WA 98264 | mobile (360) 319-7417