Maximum load on the LTI provider

Tom Salyers

Mar 24, 2021, 7:57:05 AM3/24/21
to Numbas Users

Hi, all. Does anyone know what the upper limit is on the concurrent number of users for the LTI provider? I've just had a question from our digital learning team asking about a scenario where a thousand or so engineering students all take the same exam at more or less the same time.

I'm thinking it would probably be fine unless they all hit submit at exactly the same moment, but I thought I'd check.

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Mar 24, 2021, 9:12:45 AM3/24/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
We've had well over a thousand simultaneous connections on our LTI provider with no problems.
The LTI provider has a stress tests feature that you can use to simulate a lot of simultaneous attempts, and see how it holds up. I got up to about 4,000 with no issues, and I reckon it could've gone much further if I'd wanted.
It's important to bear in mind that Apache does not handle lots of connections well, so we recommend using nginx as your HTTP server.

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 at 11:57, Tom Salyers <t.sa...@sheffield.ac.uk> wrote:

Hi, all. Does anyone know what the upper limit is on the concurrent number of users for the LTI provider? I've just had a question from our digital learning team asking about a scenario where a thousand or so engineering students all take the same exam at more or less the same time.

I'm thinking it would probably be fine unless they all hit submit at exactly the same moment, but I thought I'd check.

Tom Salyers

Mar 24, 2021, 9:17:34 AM3/24/21
to Numbas Users
Good to hear!  Thanks. I'll pass that along...and no worries. Our LTI provider instance is behind Nginx. Our editor is behind Apache, but I don't see that getting nearly as many simultaneous users.