Answers submitted in Explore Mode

Clodagh Carroll

Mar 25, 2021, 10:43:52 AM3/25/21
to Numbas Users
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a way of making sure any answers that are submitted to a part in Explore Mode are retained if further parts are accessed and the student then returns to the current part.

At the moment, I find that when an answer is submitted (even if it is correct), once the student moves to another part, and then returns, their answer to the original part has been wiped. I would like the student to be able to make changes to their previous answer if they wish, so I don't want to lock the original part.

Thanks,
Clodagh

Julia Goedecke

Mar 25, 2021, 10:53:19 AM3/25/21
to Numbas Users
Dear Clodagh,
As far as I've experienced it, if you call a new instance of a part with the "next part" options, then it is a new part and no answers retained. If you instead "go back to previous part" or the student uses the navigation bar at the top to go back, the answer is retained and can be modified and submitted again. Unless you "lock this part", then it cannot be changed only seen.
Julia

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Mar 25, 2021, 10:54:05 AM3/25/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
You might have misunderstood how explore mode works. When the student clicks on a "next part" option, a new copy of that part is created. If you've been adding "next part" links to go back to a previous part, that would explain what you saw - they're seeing a new copy of the part, not the one they answered. When you want the student to go back, tick the "Suggest going back to the previous part" box. Students can also move to any part they've visited before using the links at the top of the question.

Clodagh Carroll

Mar 25, 2021, 11:06:57 AM3/25/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian and Julia,

That makes sense - yes, I was using "next part" links to return to the original part, so that was the problem. Thanks for the help and for the clarification on the workings of explore mode - that's great.

Regards,
Clodagh

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Numbas Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/numbas-users/CAEMHSOj%2BfdNNfUcGOxy8t%2BiSfjCW-DEScoxO-cQHQf1_x7ZXEQ%40mail.gmail.com.