DB error when going into maintenance mode

Denes, Laszlo

Sep 2, 2021, 2:00:51 PM9/2/21
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

Hello Everyone and thanks in advance for any insights and your time. It is greatly appreciated.

Trying to update 2013 Exchange (cluster with DAG) servers to newest CU23 update and getting an error when I go into maintenance mode. It still lets me do it, but I stopped when I saw the error.

We have two databases and I am trying to understand what this means.

The server I was trying to update was not the active holder of the DB (they show as active on the other one) at the time.

Does this mean there will be an issue even though the db is not on that server?

[PS] E:\Microsoft Exchange\exchsvr\Scripts>.\StartDagServerMaintenance.ps1 -servername tghpass

The following objects are hosted by 'tghpass', before attempting to move them off: `n(Database='ADMINDB01', Reas

on='There were database redundancy check failures for database 'ADMINDB01' that may be lowering its redundancy and putti

ng the database at risk of data loss. Redundancy Count: 1. Expected Redundancy Count: 2. Detailed error(s):

        tghvspass:

        Database 'ADMINDB01' does not have enough copies configured to meet the validation criteria.

        ') (Database='CLINICDB01', Reason='There were database redundancy check failures for database 'CLINICDB01' that

may be lowering its redundancy and putting the database at risk of data loss. Redundancy Count: 1. Expected Redundancy C

ount: 2. Detailed error(s):

        tghvpass:

        Database 'CLINICDB01' does not have enough copies configured to meet the validation criteria.

        '))

Laszlo Denes

Technical Analyst Servers

Information Systems

The Salvation Army Toronto Grace Health Centre

650 Church Street, Toronto, ON M4Y 2G5

t: 416-925-2251 ext. 214

f: 416-925-3211

lde...@torontograce.org

www.torontograce.org

cid:image004.png@01D3936C.4940F060 cid:image006.png@01D3936C.4940F060 cid:image008.png@01D3936C.4940F060 File:Instagram icon.png - Wikimedia Commons

Exceptional and compassionate care for all.

NOTICE: This message, including any attachments, may contain privileged or confidential information and is intended for use only by the individual to whom it is specifically addressed (or those responsible for the delivery of the message to such person). Any distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify us by reply email and permanently delete the original transmission from us. Thank you for your cooperation. If you have any questions about this message please contact the Information Systems Department, Salvation Army Toronto Grace Health Centre, 650 Church St., Toronto, ON M4Y 2G5. Phone: (416) 925-2251

Michael B. Smith

Sep 2, 2021, 2:09:13 PM9/2/21
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

Those two databases don’t have at least two healthy DAG copies (for whatever reason). So they can’t be moved.

   File:Instagram icon.png - Wikimedia Commons

Exceptional and compassionate care for all.

NOTICE: This message, including any attachments, may contain privileged or confidential information and is intended for use only by the individual to whom it is specifically addressed (or those responsible for the delivery of the message to such person). Any distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify us by reply email and permanently delete the original transmission from us. Thank you for your cooperation. If you have any questions about this message please contact the Information Systems Department, Salvation Army Toronto Grace Health Centre, 650 Church St., Toronto, ON M4Y 2G5. Phone: (416) 925-2251

Denes, Laszlo

Sep 9, 2021, 11:51:28 AM9/9/21
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

Odd thing is that they are not mounted on that server i.e. it has healthy copies according to all tests I ran, but they are passive healthy.

Laszlo Denes

Technical Analyst Servers

Information Systems

Sep 9, 2021, 12:20:28 PM9/9/21
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

I’m guessing you have a two-node DAG.  It’s going to throw this error if a database redundancy count goes down to 1 – which it will if you put one of your two nodes into maintenance mode.  We have a couple of test DBs with only two copies and we see this message when the passive copy is in maintenance mode.

This message and any attachments may contain legally privileged or confidential information, and are intended only for the individual or entity identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, you are not authorized to read, copy, or distribute this message and any attachments, and we ask that you please delete this message and attachments (including all copies) and notify the sender. Delivery of this message and any attachments to any person other than the intended recipient(s) is not intended in any way to waive confidentiality or a privilege. All personal messages express views only of the individual sender, and may not be copied or distributed without this statement.

Denes, Laszlo

Sep 9, 2021, 2:43:49 PM9/9/21
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

Yes, perfect that is exactly it. Two 2013 Exchange servers (clustered) with a DAG. DB x 2 is always active on one server and passive (healthy) on the other. Normally if I fail over the active one it fails over the DB to the other one. I got thrown off by this because we don’t do this often and I could not account for the error since the DB was not on the server I put into maintenance mode at the time. This makes perfect sense. Thank you very much.

Laszlo Denes

Technical Analyst Servers

Information Systems

t: ext. 214