How do i sync with Android?

Frank W

Feb 24, 2021, 9:02:33 AM2/24/21
to Notecase Pro
Hi,

new user here. So far no complaints ;-)
First of all I would like to appreciate the hard work of Miro and his co-workers for developing and maintaining a nice piece of software for an affordable price.

My question: How do i sync with Android? (Just haven't read the manual completly, so don't be upset)

My IT Environment:
- Laptop Win10 x64 with NCP 4.5.7 portable
- USB flash drive with NCP portable
- Android Phone with NCP app
- I'm the only user
- Only one file is used, no special tasks (merge, join) needed

Maybe I should use an external service like Nextcloud, Syncthing or whatever? (webspace is available)

Thanks,
Frank

Miroslav Rajcic

Feb 24, 2021, 12:01:41 PM2/24/21
to Notecase Pro
Hi Frank,

you have few choices when trying to sync documents among multiple devices:

- harder: run Notecase sync server (NcSyncServer.exe) on your laptop, configure all clients (Win and Android) to use it

- possibly easier: use 3rd party service like DropBox, Google Drive, ..., might need to store the document file in precise folders being synchronized

I am not too familiar with 2nd choice but it should be easier, because it's probably hard to ensure your laptop is on 24-hours a day, i.e. being server.

Perhaps someone here in the group can give feedback on 3rd party sync services.

Regards,

   Miro

Feb 24, 2021, 1:52:36 PM2/24/21
to noteca...@googlegroups.com
Hi Frank

I run my own Nextcloud instance and I use an Android tool to sync from my next clod to all my android devices. Works perfect. On my windows and Linux laptops nextcloud client does the sync automatically so I have always in sync NCP documents
This certainly can be done as Miro stated using box, Dropbox or even a file sync solution like seafile
If you have access to a Linux server you can also run the sync server of NCP as a task. I did this for some time but using the automated sync of nextcloud is more handy

Just my 2 cents

Raimund

Frank W

Feb 25, 2021, 7:07:05 AM2/25/21
to Notecase Pro
Informative answer, thank you. I'll try NextCloud on my webspace and will report if I succeed or not.

Paul Merrell

Feb 25, 2021, 8:03:42 AM2/25/21
to Notecase Pro
Frank, with a synchronization service, one thing you have to be aware
of is the lag time between file save and synchronization. I've found
with nextCloud and all commercial file sync services I've tried is
that it's pretty unpredictable.

That's where NoteCase Pro's own sync server has an advantage because
the synchronization is manual; you know when the file has been synced.
But it's more complicated to set up. If you want to try it, start with
Help file > For Advanced Users > Synchronizing Documents / Sync Server
Setup.

Best regards,

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message: The U.S. National
message.]

Jeff

Feb 25, 2021, 8:57:46 AM2/25/21
to Paul Merrell
Is it possible to manually sync in NextCloud like what you are describing for the NCP sync? I've never used either one.
Jeff

Jeff

Feb 25, 2021, 9:03:04 AM2/25/21
to 'Simply Notes Simply Notes' via Notecase Pro
Thanks for the useful information.

What Android tool do you use and how secure is it? Since it must have access to the internet, is there a chance it is also syncing with somewhere else?
Jeff

Paul Merrell

Feb 25, 2021, 9:11:23 AM2/25/21
to Notecase Pro
On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 5:57 AM Jeff <malk...@orthohelp.com> wrote:
Is it possible to manually sync in NextCloud like what you are describing for the NCP sync? I've never used either one.

I don't think so because it uses a server intermediary between the devices being synced.  But you might check out Syncthing on that issue: no intermediate server and from the screengrabs, apparently you can set the interval for the updates. I don't know if you can set that for only a few seconds.

Paul Merrell

Feb 25, 2021, 9:14:06 AM2/25/21
to Notecase Pro
I should caveat that I have not used a file sync service or nextCloud for several years. It may be that the file lag time issue has been cured by one or more of such apps.

Jeff

Feb 25, 2021, 9:30:02 AM2/25/21
to Paul Merrell
Thanks for replying.

If it uses an intermediate server that would mean a security risk for me. I considered Nextcloud years ago. Maybe that's why I didn't implemented it. Can't remember.

Jeff

Frank W

Feb 28, 2021, 12:26:28 PM2/28/21
to Notecase Pro
Brief feedback of my NCP<->Nextcloud<->Android sync experiment:
Did i succeed?  Yes
Am i satisfied?  No
Who's to blame:  not NCP (maybe me for false expectations)

I won't get into deep because it would lead to an 2nd party software pros/cons review. Main reason is that you need a 3rd party app on Android (e.g. FolderSync) to getting things done (sync automatically/two ways). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll try other services (seafile, syncthing) soon. Any advice is appreciated.

info.sim...@googlemail.com

Mar 2, 2021, 2:11:17 PM3/2/21
to Notecase Pro
Hi I use Synchronize Ultimate on Android and did setup a specific profile to sync NCP docs scheduled. works like a charme for me. Reason I moved away from seafile was basically that I needed groupware functionality and not only file sync but this should work fine as well.

just my 2 cents :-

Raimund