Has any one made a arcade machine

deadman 83

Nov 10, 2021, 11:21:53 AM11/10/21
to North East Makers
hi i am thinking of trying to make a arcade machine using a raspberry pi

Alistair MacDonald

Nov 10, 2021, 11:49:08 AM11/10/21
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a fun idea to me. If you are into retro gaming then why now. Actually, even if you are not into retro gaming then why not? :-)

One of our members (Tony) made a mini "Picade" many years ago that was quite fun. Another member (Glen) was planning on doing a full size machine a few years ago but it never quite got going.

All the best,

  Alistair

On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 at 16:21, 'deadman 83' via North East Makers <north-ea...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
hi i am thinking of trying to make a arcade machine using a raspberry pi

Glen Beestone

Nov 11, 2021, 5:50:46 AM11/11/21
to north-east-makers
What do you want it to do.

Be a general emulator or only play classic arcade games ?

Distros to take a look at:
PiPlay
RetroPi

You also need to decide if youanre happy to use a modern flat screen monitor which is an easy plug in for a pi. Or if you want to try to be as faithful to a real arcade machine as possible and use a real analogue arcade monitor. In which case you'll need extra kit for interfacing.

In terms of connecting joysticks and buttons you can hack the guts of cheap USB joysticks and wire them to real arcade controls. or you can buy dedicated kit to do it.

Glen

--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.