"Pilgrim Quarter" site development

Glen

Nov 23, 2021, 1:04:38 PM11/23/21
to North East Makers
if you haven't seen what will eventually become of Makerspace's previous homes of Norham house and Commercial Union house ( as well as the sites of the Odeon, Northern Nlectric, Dex Garage/NCP carpark and Bamburgh house)

Glen

Mark Bell

Nov 23, 2021, 1:09:52 PM11/23/21
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Not exactly sure why HMRC need an office block slap bang in the middle of town, especially considering all the great places it’s stamping out.

That said, city planning is not my expertise so I can’t really comment

Alex Beardmore

Nov 23, 2021, 1:13:16 PM11/23/21
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I'm surprised HMRC aren't downsizing significantly. I see so few people working in Benton at the moment because so many work from home.

I'm sure they have a master plan that I just don't see.

Alex

Mark Bell

Nov 23, 2021, 1:16:01 PM11/23/21
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
My parents both work at HMRC, there’s a big push to get x% of employees back to the office to act as a leading example, encouraging everyone else to return

I can’t figure out what their prime directive is though, surely it’s much cheaper to keep workers at home? Most people I know say they’re able to get much more work done at home also.

Alex Beardmore

Nov 23, 2021, 1:19:04 PM11/23/21
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
The gains from leading that example seem short sighted. The government know they need many more people working from home to help meet climate change commitments. Yet they seem to be aiming for the exact opposite.