Writable RFID Tags for door entry keyfob?

George Jackson

Apr 26, 2021, 9:05:52 AM4/26/21
to North East Makers

Hi I bought this RFID card copier with the intention of cloning the keyfob for my apartment's door entry system and then copying this to a thin flat RFID sticky pad that I could then put inside the case of my phone so that I could 'use my phone' so to speak, to open my door, rather than always fumble around in my pocket for the keyfob. (Also since I use my phone for most things already anyway).

So I also got these:

But they don't work. The copier won't write to them and I think maybe they are only readable?

The cloner will write to the tags it was supplied with no problem. But the casing for these is too thick to hide inside my phone case.

Can anybody suggest an alternative that should work and that I can preferably source in the UK? If not I will buy from anywhere? Having a few in a pack would be useful, as I can give some of them to my neighbours maybe.

George

David Pye

Apr 26, 2021, 9:19:05 AM4/26/21
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Hi George,

The spec, as I understand it, says the cards should *not* be writable - in the sense that the unique ID should be pre-set to make cloning harder.
As you've found, the plastic 'chunky' supplied ones are editable, but they're usually the exception rather than the norm.  Lots of the usual Far East sources supply ones you can write to - ie clone.
I've found a few others listed as writable but no obvious UK source ones.

says they are writable.

Alternatively, you could try and trim/chop the case off one of the chunky ones and see whether the 'inside' is something you could mount in a phone case?

Regards

DAvid

Alistair MacDonald

Apr 26, 2021, 9:20:46 AM4/26/21
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I have done this with some Mifair classic tags but not any 125Khz ones.

I am surprised that these tags are writable as normally you would expect then to be fixed unless sold otherwise. I guess it could be different for the 125Khz ones. Can the copier tell you the ID if the tag? I did a hack on the penguin run where I had a door entry reader read the tag and had an Arduino Mini sniff the data going between chips on the board. If you have any kind if reader this might be an option to check the ID.

Another think that is a thing in the Mifair world is some readers will reset a fob before reading it to stop copies working. This way a fob that can copy another fob will not work. It is kind if a cat and mouse game in the low cost market.

All the best,

  Alistair

George Jackson

Apr 26, 2021, 2:49:48 PM4/26/21
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

says they are writable.

David isn't that what I just bought in the other ebay link I shared here?

Are these different somehow?

George

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "North East Makers" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/north-east-makers/CAOQ6x0GQCNH9jhp0qSjhOGZAoyifE4TutF-9t8heW_ErUVhJrw%40mail.gmail.com.

David Pye

Apr 26, 2021, 2:51:53 PM4/26/21
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Hi George,

Yes, I believe they are.

As I said, the official standard says they should be read-only.    The ones you linked to say

"
  • 125Khz operating frequency
  • Pro-programmed with unique ID number
  • EM4100 Standard

"
To me, that says they are read only.

The ones I linked to, specifically says:
5pcs 25mm 125Khz RFID Tags T5577 Writable Stickers Proximity Cards Rewrith3

So, if they deliver what they say they will deliver, those should have an ID that can be edited.

(If...)

David

George Jackson

Apr 26, 2021, 2:52:21 PM4/26/21
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Alistair, no there is no digital display to show the tag id, The available functions are 'read' and 'write' and that's all.

George Jackson

Apr 26, 2021, 2:54:35 PM4/26/21
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
OK David, I will probably give them a go. This is something I have long wanted to do. It will save much fumbling around in my pockets.

George

Alistair MacDonald

Apr 26, 2021, 2:56:07 PM4/26/21
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
For a few quid I would hurt get some that explicitly say they are writable. They are physically identical. The ones you can change have just not had the setting changed to make them read only.

All the best,

  Alistair

George Jackson

May 29, 2021, 5:34:41 PM5/29/21
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
OK, well that worked out great. I can now open my door with my phone, or at least give the very close appearance of doing so.

Thanks guys.