Are Node.js + Express.js or Meteor good options for a Real Estate Website ?

Miguel Vasquez

Nov 30, 2014, 12:46:48 AM11/30/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com

First of all sorry for my English, I am using online translators, I hope you understand my question.  I am newbie to web development but I have some experience with C# developing desktop applications and need advice. I will going to enter in the Real Estate Business and I want to develop my Real Estate WebSite by myself. I'm right now learning HTML, CSS and Javascript and I need to know if the Meteor framework or Node.js are optimal choices for a Real Estate site that I hope will have high traffic or Django/Python  is a better option to develop a Full Featured and fast performance Real Estate Website.  For example if my site is visited for 15,000 visitors at the same time and 5,000 of these visitors use the search box at the same time to filter the properties by location, price, etc, which of this three, Django or Meteor or Node.js is better suited to handle the concurrency in this particular user action with less waiting time for the visitors in show the results from the search.  In other words, Is the Non-Blocking I/O ability and built-in support for Concurrency of Meteor or Node.js an advantage in performance in a high concurrency scenario where multiple users visit my website and request information from the database at the same time, or is not an advantage for this scenario.

I ask this question because i want to make my visitors happy with Ultra-fast speed to show the search results and Ultra-fast speed in Page Loading Times.

A last detail to mention is that I will not use Photos of the properties listed in my website, I will use only embedded YouTube videos from my YouTube Channel ( No need to hosting the videos) of the Houses or Apartments with the respective information about them in the space below the embedded video.

Sorry for my newbie questions and for repeat certain details several times, but i need to choose the right tool for the job in order to not loose my learning time and in the future have to rewrite my entirely website to other Development platform.

thanks in advance,
best regards

Iuri Machado

Nov 30, 2014, 10:35:25 PM11/30/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I'll try to write in simple English so you can translate better.

To be fair with you, the choice of framework does not matter at all. If you can design properly and code well on the framework of your preference, it's fine. Of course some provide more features out of the box, like real-time web applications (Meteor and my favourite, Websharp), or maybe resfull APIs is what you need (django + restframework, flask).

My advice for you is: choose the one you are most comfortable with. Or maybe if you are feeling a bit more adventurous, try some functional programming (F#, Clojure or Scala - they have very cool web frameworks to work with).

Hope I helped in some way.
I.

Angel Java Lopez

Dec 1, 2014, 12:26:26 AM12/1/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Bad (and maybe long, confused)  English here, too ;-)

Well, I have no experience in the kind of site you mentioned. I'm a C#/Java developer, with Node.js experience. Some personal comments:

- Search will depend on the concurrency query support of your database (unless you prepare an in-memory implementation, but in Node.js you must remember you have only one thread for JavaScript to run things). The bottleneck will be your database, and Node.js async I/O capabilities will derive all the work to the database engine, leaving Node to attend other users

- Django/Python is a bit opinionated, and Node.js is a more "free" way of doing things. Django/Python is like the Ruby on Rails of Python, with modules and ecosystem, but with the Django-way-of-doing-things. You have the friction of Python 2.7 vs 3.x. Node.js is simple, but you have more work putting all the pieces in place. Personally, I prefer the Node.js way. Simplicity and choices. And Python still has the GIL https://wiki.python.org/moin/GlobalInterpreterLock at least in CPython, you could try Jython (notably, Node.js avoid GIL using only one thread for JavaScript, and async I/O).

- Meteor is "too much" Meteor, that is, is the "Meteor-way-of-doing-things". Even client-side JavaScript should be obey the Meteor way. IMO, that is easy way (that is, all piece are in place), but the pieces were chose by others. Meteor has a vibrant community, but I feel you lost the vibrant client-side JavaScript community, and the choice of other options. BTW, check the meteor open sourced
with videos, like your site

Other comments?

Angel "Java" Lopez
@ajlopez