Node.js foundation

Feb Star

Feb 10, 2015, 7:43:27 AM2/10/15
to nod...@googlegroups.com

Laurent Fortin

Feb 10, 2015, 1:24:27 PM2/10/15
to nod...@googlegroups.com

Luca Morandini

Feb 10, 2015, 8:47:58 PM2/10/15
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On 11/02/15 05:24, Laurent Fortin wrote:

> yep!

While I am relieved that Node,js is finally getting proper governance, I wonder
whether an independent foundation with industrial backers is the best move forward.

I presume that joining, say, ASF would have given Node.js an already-established
legal backing, not to mention a recognised brand: .

Anyway, can someone point me to a thread on a mailing list (users, dev) on the
subject (thread that I - in all evidence - missed) ?

Regards,

Luca Morandini
Data Architect - AURIN project
Melbourne eResearch Group
Department of Computing and Information Systems
University of Melbourne
Tel. +61 03 903 58 380
Skype: lmorandini

// ravi

Feb 10, 2015, 9:02:03 PM2/10/15
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 10, 2015, at 8:31 PM, Luca Morandini <lmora...@ieee.org> wrote:

> On 11/02/15 05:24, Laurent Fortin wrote:
>>
>> yep!
>
> While I am relieved that Node,js is finally getting proper governance…

The “finally getting proper governance” is a jaundiced way to put it. Node didn’t reach 0.12, a large user base, and the sort of stability that would attract and keep such a base, without proper governance.

—ravi

Peter Rust

Feb 11, 2015, 10:01:30 AM2/11/15
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Note the conspicuous absence of npm inc and strongloop from the list. I would guess this doesn't mark any reconciliation with io.js (it may or may not be a step in that direction).

Scott González

Feb 11, 2015, 10:29:38 AM2/11/15
to nod...@googlegroups.com
See https://medium.com/@iojs/io-js-and-a-node-js-foundation-4e14699fb7be for the current state of reconciliation.

--
Job board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Luca Morandini

Feb 11, 2015, 5:19:39 PM2/11/15
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On 11/02/15 12:54, // ravi wrote:

> The “finally getting proper governance” is a jaundiced way to put it. Node
> didn’t reach 0.12, a large user base, and the sort of stability that would
> attract and keep such a base, without proper governance.

Point taken, but being "effective" does not imply being "proper".

Anyway, can someone point to me a public forum in which the establishment of the
Node.js Foundation has been discussed ?

Ryan Graham

Feb 16, 2015, 2:47:55 PM2/16/15
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Wed Feb 11 2015 at 2:19:17 PM Luca Morandini <lmora...@ieee.org> wrote:
Point taken, but being "effective" does not imply being "proper".

Anyway, can someone point to me a public forum in which the establishment of the
Node.js Foundation has been discussed ?

I don't believe it was discussed in public, but keep in mind that this was just the announcement of their plans.

The announced members are just the "big ones" that were part of the ground work and planning with invitations for others to join being a likely next(ish) step.

The actual formation and establishment of the foundation as a legal entity, from my understanding, will take a few months.

~Ryan

// ravi

Feb 16, 2015, 8:58:24 PM2/16/15
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 16, 2015, at 12:43 PM, Ryan Graham <r.m.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed Feb 11 2015 at 2:19:17 PM Luca Morandini <lmora...@ieee.org> wrote:
> Point taken, but being "effective" does not imply being "proper".
>
> Anyway, can someone point to me a public forum in which the establishment of the
> Node.js Foundation has been discussed ?
>
> I don't believe it was discussed in public, but keep in mind that this was just the announcement of their plans.

I don’t remember any discussion either. AFAIK this is a private decision made by Joyent.

—ravi

Luca Morandini

Feb 17, 2015, 4:56:39 PM2/17/15
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On 17/02/15 07:29, // ravi wrote:

> I don’t remember any discussion either. AFAIK this is a private decision made by Joyent.

Ryan and Ravi, thanks for clarifying this.

Hopefully, this will be the last decision about Node.js taken behind closed doors.

Issac Roth

Feb 17, 2015, 11:28:27 PM2/17/15
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Peter,

Issac from StrongLoop here. We are very involved. You may find this blog I wrote about it useful...

Issac

On Feb 11, 2015, at 8:19 AM, Peter Rust <pe...@cornerstonenw.com> wrote:

Note the conspicuous absence of npm inc and strongloop from the list. I would guess this doesn't mark any reconciliation with io.js (it may or may not be a step in that direction).

Christopher Rust

Feb 18, 2015, 12:02:53 AM2/18/15
to nod...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for posting that here Isaac. That all looks like great news.

Chris

Peter Rust

Feb 18, 2015, 10:29:30 AM2/18/15
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Issac Roth,

Yes, thank you for posting and for taking the time to write the article so Node's userbase knows what's happening. I didn't realize StrongLoop was involved in the foundation; that's good to hear.

-- Peter Rust