Nitrogen/Docker Example

Bunny Lushington

Dec 2, 2020, 11:24:45 AM12/2/20
to nitro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Y'all —

I put together a quick ’n’ dirty Docker configuration for Nitrogen (specifically a slim_cowboy build) that might be of interest to folks, either as a fast way to sample some Nitrogen goodness (like if you’re following along with Lloyd’s fantastic book) or as a starting point towards a robust Docker deployment.  There are instructions for a two-command developer mode setup as well as a docker-compose file demonstrating how a Nitrogen application might be fronted with Traefik and integrated with Let’s Encrypt (SSL).  Documentation and code are available at https://github.com/bunnylushington/nitrogen-docker-example

The genesis of this small project was to be able to provide an easy way for a friend to sample Nitrogen without installing new software on their box.

Note that although I run Docker based Nitrogen in production environments, my configuration is radically different from what’s shown.  (I build nitrogen_core from source and deploy as a rebar3 built Erlang application.)  I mention this only because I haven’t done anything to ensure that the helper scripts (like bin/dev) are functional.  If there’s interest in building this PoC into a more functional development option, I’m happy to give that a look or receive pull requests.

Hope Y’all are staying healthy and sane!

b.

Lloyd R. Prentice

Dec 2, 2020, 12:43:10 PM12/2/20
to nitro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bunny,

This is terrific! Wish it was available before we published our book.

Mind if we link to it from our book page?

Many thanks,

Lloyd

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 2, 2020, at 11:24 AM, Bunny Lushington <bu...@bapi.us> wrote:

Hi Y'all —

Jesse Gumm

Dec 2, 2020, 2:42:39 PM12/2/20
to nitrogenweb
Those so much for sharing, Bunny!

Docker and containerization in general is definitely one of those magical arts that never landed for me, but I've been tangentially interested in for years.

Thanks so much for sharing.  I'll get a link to this posted on Twitter and on the NitrogenProject homepage.

-Jesse

Jesse Gumm
Owner, Sigma Star Systems
414.940.4866 || sigma-star.com || @jessegumm

Bunny Lushington

Dec 3, 2020, 12:47:51 PM12/3/20
to nitro...@googlegroups.com

> On Dec 2, 2020, at 11:43, Lloyd R. Prentice <ll...@writersglen.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Bunny,
>
> This is terrific! Wish it was available before we published our book.
>
> Mind if we link to it from our book page?

Hi Lloyd —

That’s what a second edition is for! (Oh, I kid. I cannot imagine the amount of work required to get a book out the door.) Please feel free to link as you see fit. If there are any changes that are required, just let me know.

Hope you’re staying healthy and sane!

b.

Lloyd R. Prentice

Dec 3, 2020, 2:29:07 PM12/3/20
to nitro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bunny,

Thanks. Who knows, a second edition or even Leanpub update may well be in the cards.

But we can certainly link to your GitHub page from our book page. What would it take to make it fully production ready?

How are you and your theatre fairing in this dreary covid era?

All the best,

Lloyd

Sent from my iPad