Hawk Identification

Valway

Jun 28, 2020, 4:19:31 PM6/28/20
to NHBirds
In regards to the pictures I posted for an ID, the bottom one is of a juvenile, and I have a video of the mother with him.  I just don't know how to post here from facebook.  The mother is the large one with the white chest I saw standing in the road.  I am trying to get the person whose yard they always seem to be in to post it here.

The other--I am waiting for a confirmation that it is indeed a picture she took in her yard so there are two different species.  It's very exciting as there are so many species around here.  If someone can tell me how to post the video here from facebook--it would be much appreciated.  It's a closed group so if I listed the link, I doubt you would be able to access it.  I'll keep trying.  There are 3 videos.

Iain Macleod

Jun 28, 2020, 4:34:04 PM6/28/20
to v...@aol.com, NHBirds
Maybe you missed my earlier email. The upper photo IS a Northern Goshawk. It's a truly stunning photo and if your friend took it, it's a prize winner. I wonder if perhaps they found this image online of what they thought they saw.
The lower photo is an immature Red-tailed Hawk....not a juvenile but a pre-adult plumage red-tail so would not be "with mom". Likely hatched last year.... not a youngster from this year.

Iain MacLeod

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020, 4:19 PM 'Valway' via NHBirds <nhb...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
In regards to the pictures I posted for an ID, the bottom one is of a juvenile, and I have a video of the mother with him.  I just don't know how to post here from facebook.  The mother is the large one with the white chest I saw standing in the road.  I am trying to get the person whose yard they always seem to be in to post it here.

The other--I am waiting for a confirmation that it is indeed a picture she took in her yard so there are two different species.  It's very exciting as there are so many species around here.  If someone can tell me how to post the video here from facebook--it would be much appreciated.  It's a closed group so if I listed the link, I doubt you would be able to access it.  I'll keep trying.  There are 3 videos.

John Ranta

Jun 28, 2020, 7:40:50 PM6/28/20
to v...@aol.com, pandi...@gmail.com, NHBirds
What makes that a goshawk? As opposed to a Cooper’s, for example?

JR

Iain Macleod

Jun 28, 2020, 9:41:28 PM6/28/20
to John Ranta, v...@aol.com, NHBirds
A few things: the heavy dark barring on the chest and belly with a buff background ...Coops would be much more lightly streaked on the chest with a whiter background. Also note heavy barring extending all the way down the leg feathers (again the smaller accipiters would have very light streaking on those feathers). Note the prominent white supercilium. Also on the tail, you can only just see a little of the upper tail pattern, but enough to see the characteristic light edges to the irregular dark bands.

Iain MacLeod

Valway

Jul 6, 2020, 1:32:29 PM7/6/20
to NHBirds
That is what I was trying to find out if she actually took the photo of it--but I'm beginning to think she found that lovely photo online.  LOL  I am posting new pics of the hawks.