Sandwich Christmas Bird Count

north...@myfairpoint.net

Dec 31, 2019, 4:41:27 PM12/31/19
to NH. Birds
The 25th Sandwich Christmas Bird Count was held on Sunday. The weather was
as good or better than we've ever had it. Final number won't be compiled for
a while but there were a few highlights.

The intrepid mountain team (Ben and Jason) tallied a record 23 Boreal
Chickadees. They saw a couple of White-throated Sparrows between 2200 and
2500', the same area they started hearing the first Boreal Chickadees. I'm
guessing not too many birders have seen those two species near each other in
winter! Eastern Bluebirds have been increasing in winter over the years. In
the first nine years of the count we did not have a bluebird on count day.
This year eight teams counted a total of 38 bluebirds, more than twice our
previous record. An adult Northern Goshawk was seen near Thompson Wildlife
Sanctuary. There were a handful of Red Crossbills and White-winged
Crossbills marking the sixth time they have both been seen on count day. We
only saw one turkey, one Barred Owl and one Northern Shrike.

As usual, there were a few birds trying to push the northern limit of their
winter range. These included a Belted Kingfisher, a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
and a Winter Wren; four Song Sparrows beat the old record by one.

Happy New Year!

Tony Vazzano
Sandwich