Lawyer referrals

Cheyenna Weber

Nov 15, 2021, 9:58:04 PM11/15/21
to newyorkco...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

  I'm looking for attorneys knowledgeable about NYS statutes pertaining to consumer cooperatives. Preferably folks aligned with social and racial justice values. I appreciate your help.

thanks,
Cheyena

--

***
Cheyenna Layne Weber

All of the US is built on stolen Native land. Support the Native communities who make NYC home: mannahattafund.org

Drew Langdon

Nov 16, 2021, 11:44:28 AM11/16/21
to Cheyenna Weber, newyorkco...@googlegroups.com
Great question.  We were also looking for someone, specifically familiar with worker co-ops, and have come up dry so far.

Lucy Georgeff

Nov 16, 2021, 1:38:08 PM11/16/21
to Drew Langdon, Cheyenna Weber, newyorkco...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I can't speak for his alignment with social and racial justice, but our food co-op just worked with Dave Swanson from Dorsey & Whitney LLP in Minneapolis, and he's definitely knowledgeable about NY cooperative law.

Lucy

--
Lucy Georgeff
she  her  hers

1398 Rte. 213
High Falls, NY 12440

"Nourishing Our Community
with Local food since 1976"

Angela D.

Nov 17, 2021, 10:10:07 AM11/17/21
to New York Cooperative network
I know that CDI uses Patrick for some of their coops. I know he has a background in agricultural coops for sure, plus some.
Patrick J. Deluhery
141 Pine Grove Dr.
South Hadley, MA 01075
413-437-7145
pdel...@aol.com

And I shared with Cheyenna that a local food coop used these folks: http://cpjglaborlaw.com/

A worker owned farm recently used Sarah Kaplan (https://www.cuttingedgecounsel.com/ourteam) for a re-do of their bylaws. And although she's more excited about thinking about alternative capital stacks, and making them work for coops, she did a great job from my perspective on their bylaws.

A local multistakeholder coop (with a worker owner class) used Jason Weiner out of CO to form an LCA.  https://jrwiener.com/team/jason/

And apparently there is a network of lawyers around the country associated with SELC (sustainable economies law center) - but I don't have access to that list. But maybe they could refer you to specific folks? Or if anyone has access to that list, please share!!

Angela
Co-op Hudson Valley

Cheyenna Weber

Nov 17, 2021, 11:25:00 AM11/17/21
to Angela D., New York Cooperative network, Ali Issa
Hi everybody,

  A few folks were interested in the information that was shared. I've compiled it into a Googledoc. I do not have time to make it fancier and more organized but if somebody wants to take responsibility for that, go for it.

  I think the greatest intel we can offer each other is in our experiences with these attorneys, because not all "co-op lawyers" have the same skills, sectoral knowledge, or even share the politics of a given a co-op. Thank you for sharing info and feel free to add to the document.

thanks,
Cheyenna

Hélène Lesterlin

Nov 17, 2021, 12:45:11 PM11/17/21
to New York Cooperative network
I added a name to the doc!
- Hélène Lesterlin

Gowri Krishna

Nov 17, 2021, 1:01:13 PM11/17/21
to Hélène Lesterlin, New York Cooperative network
Hi All -- sorry if I'm sending this twice. I drafted an email but not sure if it went through. I wanted to chime in to say that NYC NOWC is working on a list of NYC coop lawyers and the areas in which they have expertise. I'm not sure if Tammy is on this listserv, but I can find out the status of the doc and plans for distribution.

I'm a coop attorney, and there are probably some other folks on this listserv as well, FYI.

Thanks,
Gowri

Cheyenna Weber

Nov 17, 2021, 1:05:33 PM11/17/21
to Gowri Krishna, Hélène Lesterlin, New York Cooperative network
Hey - yes Tammy asked me for the list, which is partly why I made it available.

I think it's super important folks specify what areas they know, since it is far easier to find a worker co-op lawyer downstate than anybody familiar with consumer co-ops! Sounds like upstate it might be a bit different.

Tammy Shapiro

Nov 17, 2021, 1:50:12 PM11/17/21
to Cheyenna Weber, Angela D., New York Cooperative network, Ali Issa