2020 Bow Lake Regatta Cancelled

Bob Shapiro

Jul 22, 2020, 5:06:10 PM7/22/20
to New England District-Lightning Class
Sorry to tell you that we have cancelled the 2020 Bow Lake Ed Hinds Memorial One Day Lightning Flash regatta which had been scheduled for 12 September.  Please note that this had also been scheduled to be the District WJM championships.  They will not be held at Bow Lake in 2020.

Thanks,
bob shapiro

Michael Seibert

Jul 22, 2020, 5:15:36 PM7/22/20
to Bob Shapiro, New England District-Lightning Class
Bob -   Understandable and unavoidable in these times  -  but still unfortunate.  I hope to be able to come down and join in the fun again next year.

Mike

Bob Shapiro

Jul 22, 2020, 5:21:05 PM7/22/20
to Michael Seibert, New England District-Lightning Class
Hi Mike - I hope so too.

We are still holding our fleet races, but limiting to no more than 2 people in the boat.  And the 2 people are supposed to be from the same household.  And we have special rules discouraging the use of spinnakers to make it more fun for "household teams" to sail.  My daughter and my wife alternate crewing each week, and I am loving that.

We also bought a bunch of radio controlled model Lasers and now have 10 of them on the lake and have been racing those every weekend since late May.  A ton of fun!

bob

robert dresser

Jul 22, 2020, 5:27:14 PM7/22/20
to Bob Shapiro, Michael Seibert, New England District-Lightning Class
😢 it is such a fun event, I’m sorry it’s not happening. But I get it. Hopefully you can keep the sailing stoke alive and well this summer on Bow Lake. I know the RC Lasers is a blast!!!

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Marty Riehs

Jul 22, 2020, 5:27:34 PM7/22/20
to New England District-Lightning Class
Well, it's time to enjoy each breezy day we are given with your family, and look forward to next year when maybe things will be back under control. Thanks for the head's up.

Marty Riehs

Michael Seibert

Jul 22, 2020, 5:48:28 PM7/22/20
to Marty Riehs, New England District-Lightning Class
Bob -  I love your rules discouraging spinnakers with a crew of two.  With just two of us in the boat last year, and with a very unskilled crew (me), we had a devil of a time flying the spinnaker.  The only good thing was that, by the time I dumped it in the water half a dozen times, it was probably the cleanest spinnaker in New England!

I would love to see how 15451 would fare in a race with no spinnakers.  We were able to keep up going upwind last year, but lost contact every time I had to raise the spinnaker.

Mike

bi...@vtsailing.com

Jul 22, 2020, 7:04:13 PM7/22/20
to Bob Shapiro, New England District-Lightning Class

Have Squam and Massabesic decided whether or not their regattas will be held this fall?

The Leaf Peeper is still on schedule "for now" but we'll re-evaluate as we get closer.

Bill Fastiggi

Ted Hardenbergh

Jul 22, 2020, 8:25:12 PM7/22/20
to bi...@vtsailing.com, Bob Shapiro, New England District-Lightning Class
Bill-

 I thought I copied you on message a couple weeks ago when the club board canceled the Massabesic event - club not even running weekend races, but as I may have mentioned, we’ve been out “practicing.”

Sent from my iPad

Dan Egan

Jul 22, 2020, 8:56:12 PM7/22/20
to Ted Hardenbergh, Bill Fastiggi, Bob Shapiro, New England District-Lightning Class
come on up to squam,

We race at 2pm

Launch at noon

Every Sunday July and Aug

Dan

--
Dan Egan
Po Box 988

Sent from a worldwide adventure

Direct Line - (603)-254-8000

Note - All past email addresses are forwarded to D...@DeganMedia.com

Bill Fastiggi

Jul 23, 2020, 9:45:15 AM7/23/20
to Ted Hardenbergh, New England District-Lightning Class
Hi Ted,  You did – I apologize.
At this point all NE Regattas for the year have been cancelled except for Squam and the fleet will let us know by August 1st,
and MBBC Leaf Peeper is not yet cancelled – we will make a call on that by 9/1  - but there is a very strong (90% +) chance we will cancel.

Also all NE District members - please remember to pay your ILCA dues if you have not already.  Even though you might not be racing/traveling this year, paying your dues helps keep the ILCA strong which helps maintain the $$$ value of your investment.

Bill Fastiggi

Bill

Aug 10, 2020, 10:53:44 AM8/10/20
to New England District-Lightning Class

NE District members – The Squam Lake regatta is cancelled for this year.  For now, the only regatta still on the Schedule for 2020 is the Leaf Peeper at MBBC in October.  The Champlain fleet will make a decision on that regatta by Mid September.

District Commodore –

Bill Fastiggi

Sent from Mail for Windows 10