source code license

nathan_wrench

Jan 2, 2022, 3:51:38 PM1/2/22
to netrek-forever
Hi what is the license for netrek?

Darrell Root

Jan 2, 2022, 4:31:41 PM1/2/22
to netrek-...@googlegroups.com, Darrell Root
Most clients and servers have a copyright.h and copyright2.h file.  This is similar to the MIT license (I am not a lawyer) in that it allows use for any purpose and without fee provided that the copyright notice is maintained.  In some distributions these .h files are in the include subdirectory.  I believe Netrek development predated the standard MIT license, which is the reason for the one-off.

Here’s the copyright.h included with the original Netrek-server repository: https://github.com/netrek/netrek-server/blob/master/include/copyright.h

/*
Copyright (c) 1986 Chris Guthrie
Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this
software and its documentation for any purpose and without
fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright
notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright
notice and this permission notice appear in supporting
documentation. No representations are made about the
suitability of this software for any purpose. It is
provided "as is" without express or implied warranty.
Copyright 1989 Kevin P. Smith
Scott Silvey
ditto.
Copyright (c) 1993 Tedd Hadley
Heiko Wengler
(Short packets code, formerly marked with a #define SHORT_PACKETS)
ditto.
*/

My Swift client and server, being complete rewrites, used the standard MIT license.

Darrell

On Jan 2, 2022, at 10:01 AM, nathan_wrench <jos...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi what is the license for netrek?

To post send mail here: netrek-...@googlegroups.com
More info: http://groups.google.com/group/netrek-forever/
Nota bene: Please be civil and treat list members with respect.