Black Diamonds

Ron DeFilippo

Mar 9, 2022, 7:49:44 AM3/9/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com, ma...@guilfordrailsightings.groups.io

Ron DeFilippo

Mar 9, 2022, 9:00:11 AM3/9/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com
More coal to power those "green" electric vehicles.

Ric Leo

Mar 9, 2022, 9:10:13 AM3/9/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com
You have an issue with zero emission vehicles?

Steve B

Mar 9, 2022, 9:36:59 AM3/9/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com
Unless you're cranking a stationary bike every night for 6 hours to charge your "zero emission vehicle", you're still burning fossil fuels. And there's this thing called entropy... when you convert from one energy form to another it is inefficient and there is waste. Sometimes a lot of it.
Facts.

Mar 9, 2022, 10:55:12 AM3/9/22
to New England railroading (NERAIL)

I don't think anyone has a problem with green vehicles.The problem is we co not have the green infrastructure in place yet to replace all our coal and oil plants. So until we do these vehicles will be charged with coal power plants.

Peter

Ric Leo

Mar 9, 2022, 11:01:49 AM3/9/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com
See? "zero emission vehicles" not zero emission vehicles. As if an EV emits emissions despite the science.

I think what you're bitching about is that the manufacturing process is not zero emission.  Well no manufacturing process is.  But the energy used can certainly be generated by renewables instead of fossil fuels.

But the fact that it takes energy to make EVs does not alter the fact that today, 50 years after the first oil shocks hit, this country is still victimized by the fossil fuel industry and probably will be forever.

Steve B

Mar 9, 2022, 11:10:24 AM3/9/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com
NOT the manufacturing process... I would say for all or most purposes it's the same for gas-burning and for electric vehicles.
Exception: Don't get me going on the spent battery cells and their environmental impact.

NO, I'm talking about where the charge comes from. You plug it in at home or at a charging station. All of these are connected to the power grid, which is burning fossil fuels of many types, or supported by a dedicated DIESEL GENERATOR.

Until we develop better clean energy technology (solar, wind, hydro / tide, and yes, nuke) we are slaves to oil. Make the best of it.

Sent: Wednesday, March 9, 2022 11:01 AM

Ric Leo

Mar 9, 2022, 11:15:15 AM3/9/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com
We're slaves becasuse we choose to be.

Let He Who Is Without SUV cast the first stone.

Robert Metell

Mar 9, 2022, 12:32:26 PM3/9/22
to nerail
No doubt unlike other parts of the world that have been using wind,nuclear, solar,  and water we have become enslaved to fossil fuels. Nixon warned of this when he was president and began to address the issue, not to many administrations followed up with it.

CHARLES PETLICK

Mar 9, 2022, 2:03:44 PM3/9/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com, Steve B
Here in New Hampshire, we were on the verge of getting hydro from Canada.  Then,  the tree-huggers got their panties in a knot and eventually killed that.
Maine has tried a similar scheme with the power going to run to MassHoleVille.  Tree-huggers again.
You can't have it both ways.  I have seen those wind farms in the west.  They are beyond ugly,  only half of them working, yet people don't want to look at power poles running hydro power.    Whatever !
   We keep screwing with that Russian nut;  I just hope the first nuc comes down my chimney.

madog

Mar 9, 2022, 3:29:06 PM3/9/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com
I just heard Pinocchio Psaki state bold face lies about our energy, too numerous to mention all of them.
Imagine being married to her, you couldn’t trust a single thing she said!
The average person, in agreement with Psaki, clueless to real truth and facts, does not know what this administration actually plans for us energy wise.
The New World Order gang has a sinister agenda for America.

Ric Leo

Mar 9, 2022, 3:33:09 PM3/9/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com
>tate bold face lies about our energy, too numerous to mention all of them

or any, even

Bill K

Mar 9, 2022, 3:33:41 PM3/9/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com
Imagine a production factory trying to function on green energy, wind, solar, whatever they can dream up.

Sent: Wednesday, March 9, 2022 8:59 AM

Ron DeFilippo

Mar 9, 2022, 4:29:14 PM3/9/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com
My comment about the EVs sparked more chatter than the encore performance of the coal trains did! Not sure that I should have been so quick on the keyboard

Anyway, it is good to see that we still can burn coal at Bow and add a little variety in this train-starved part of the country

joh...@megalink.net

Mar 9, 2022, 7:25:05 PM3/9/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com
It's also good to see some activity here!

Mar 10, 2022, 3:20:38 AM3/10/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com

NERR Guy

Mar 10, 2022, 8:19:55 AM3/10/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com
"or  any, even"
OK, here's an inconvenient fact about electric cars.  Funny you didn't mention it, maybe because it's happening in Africa -
A Few quotes:
"People want electric vehicles for many different reasons, including ethical ones as we become increasingly aware of the impact of both climate change and air pollution. Yet the growing market for electric cars may be causing harm to people in one of the world’s most vulnerable countries."
"Dangerous working conditions, risks to people’s health, and child labour are a huge problem in the cobalt mines of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)."
"For now though, soaring demand is continuing to push cobalt prices higher, which in turn ramps up production and forces more children and adults to risk their lives in the mines."

Ric Leo

Mar 10, 2022, 8:51:59 AM3/10/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com
Oh

Well, since oil and gas and coal extraction have zero environmental impact, we should never go away from them.

I always get a chuckle out of the anti climate changers concerns for the poor black folk of africa.

Dave Tetreault

Mar 10, 2022, 7:35:40 PM3/10/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com

I'll take my 4.5 cents a mile (measured).  A maintenance schedule only consisting of tire rotation and every third time   changing the cabin air filter.  The impact on my electric bill seems to be buried in the negative bills during the summer even though I run the AC   full bore.  Rear roof covered with photo-voltaic panels.

One more reason I love my EV is the ability to blow off most muscle cars and with a center of gravity at ax!e level out corner most 'sports cars'.  Alas I still need  fossil fuels for my snow blower, Roto tiller, and lawn tractor.

Robert Metell

Mar 10, 2022, 11:33:54 PM3/10/22
to nerail
Like any new invention, it takes time for people to grow used to it. Some time look up the articles written in the 1800s over steam engines and trains, same story as now with the EV. In days of transition from sail to steam-powered ships, and the arrival of flight. The one big issue they didn't have is misinformation being spread by Politicians and Social Media to discourage people from using it. Good thing they didn't. we wouldn't be out in our gas guzzlers watching trains now!

Have a Great Evening
Bob